• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Question, I just scanned my lower AF15 again to send off to CGC, possibly to sell. What do I do with it having just discovered the right edge trimmed? I bought this so many years ago I cannot remember what I did and did not find issues with. I may have known it 25 years ago, but not now.

This AF15 appeared to be a decent 4.5 or so when I first scanned it. I wasn't comparing it to other books, but today I found at least two more trimmed books.

Matt nelson had already strongly suggested on leaving it alone to sell unrestored. Now that it is damaged goods, what would it sell for versus what it's worth fully restored? I'm sending it to Matt first to evaluate with other ASM to sell.

So what might an apparent 4.5/5.0 AF15 sell for? The spine is the weakest part of the book. The top and bottom edges are good, it has decent OW paper quality, but the cover is dingy or smudged.

AF15front50apparent.jpg

AF15back50apparent.jpg

Cool lookin copy...let it be (speaking words of wisdom, let it be !) 2c

I am slightly confused

a) CGC only looked at the scans and determined it is trimmed?

b) You told Matt that CGC said it is trimmed and he said to sell it raw as unrestored?

I need more coffee because my brain is not connecting to your post this morning :P

according to GPA a PLOD trimmed book is around $1500 to $2000 at 4.5 but those prices are for books that likely had other works done also such as CT, tear seals, etc...

I discovered yesterday that it is trimmed, Matt had commented on scans I sent to him two weeks ago.

It isn't obvious at a glance, because the back view shows differing side page widths. The book over time rolled around the spine oddly, notice how the bottom pages aren't all together. The top of the spine is likely proper, but the bottom of the spine is rolled towards the back. Likely the kid who owned it twisted it in their hands at the bottom a lot.

Looking at the right edge pages from the side makes it obvious. The front third of the pages have been trimmed with the front cover. Those are much cleaner along their edges.

I understand it can't bring a normal big price because of the trimming. My thought is how much better could it look if something was done about the spine? Could it reach an apparent 7.0 or better, and how much would that restoration cost? The book would be more likely to sell if it looked 2 points or so higher. Would the extra cost be a wash by adding the same amount to the final sales price?

I don't have the money to spend a lot on it. That's the rub, how much easier would it sell after more work, and would it return more to make up for it, and when?

If it's all close or unclear, leaving it alone would be my choice.

that book if CT by a professional can likely get a 7.0 PLOD because the edges are sharp enough and the back cover is clean.... but if Matt told you to leave it alone because the cost of CT will negate any higher prices you may get, then I would just leave it alone.

His recommendation was when it was believed to be unrestored, that was a clear choice then. The trimming complicates things now to me. I don't know how to compare values for an apparent 4.5 to a more restored 7 or so. I was hoping someone would have an idea of the value difference there.

BTW, I haven't run across a definition yet for PLOD, so what does that stand for? Regards,

PLOD = Purple Label Of Death

a professional restored 7.0 might fetch $3k to $5k in my opinion but it is hard to price a PLOD

Thanks, I couldn't put words to the letters. WTTB took me a while to figure out.

I agree pricing them is no fun. I have found several in total in my books that have trimmed edges. This AF15 and my worst #2 are my latest discoveries. This ASM2 is also an apparent 4.5/5.0 book. People 25 years ago didn't have a clue what difference it would make later.

BTW, I just saw an ASM16 PLOD 9.4 that supposedly has a cleaned staple. I don't know how CGC would define that, but I'd replace one before scratching one up. The price is way high still at $2500ish, but for the right price that could be a good book.

Looks like the person about broke even on this one and maybe for an upgrade or other reasons. hm

a professional restored 7.0 might fetch $3k to $5k in my opinion but it is hard to price a PLOD

A 6.0 PLOD medium resto will sell for $4k plus...as I had this one pegged...tonight, so this is pretty current info

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=110061&Lot_No=11021&Lot_Id_No=23011

A 7.0 I would figure $6K +

t

This book is not trimmed, so thats why it ended at $4k

A 6.0 PLOD medium resto will sell for $4k plus...as I had this one pegged...tonight, so this is pretty current info

http://comics.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=110061&Lot_No=11021&Lot_Id_No=23011

A 7.0 I would figure $6K +

t

The one I posted scans of above. I'm fairly sure the right edge is trimmed. The first 1/3 of the pages are the same width, past that they vary like normal. So I'll call it unknown until CGC gives me the bad news.

Oh okay, I remember reading your posts now.

Best of luck with CGC. :wishluck:

But even if it does come back trimmed, you won't be alone.

Mine is too.