• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Hello to all...from ITALY!

I spent few hours to read ALL posts of this thread and I found so much useful information and tips about AF15.

Unluckily I have not (yet) a story to tell about an AF15 since I still don't own it (yet) :ò)

But my AS1 has one incredible story instead (cutting&pasting from my recently posted journal):

"I can't believe it...my AS 1 was CGC GRADED as a 9.0 with WHITE PAGES!!!

How many books in such a nice shape still exist?

This copy has an almost unbelievable story My father travelled to NY in 1963(!) for a business trip.

He saw some superheroes comics at the newstands and bought a bunch of them. The cover of Spider-Man 1 looked so intriguing to him that he carefully placed the comic in the middle of his papers and brought it back home to Italy.

Once there he put the book inside a closet under a heavy pile of books...where it remained for 45 years!

When I found it a couple of years ago, I could not believe my eye such a precious jem remained in a dark and dry enevironment for so long! It looked to me a 9.2 with almost zero defects (no visible spine stress, no chipping, no wear!). Cgc graded it 9.0 with white pages on 24/05/2010(WOW)!I am incredibly happy with this find as sometimes dreams come true!

FEDERICO - ITALY "

I also have a special question for all of you....my early Spidey collection is made mostly by 9.0-9.2 (not all are graded though): you can check my registry and have an idea ...but after the AF15 price boost of the last few years I left myself wondering what graded AF15 (CGC 6.5 7.0 7.5 8.0...?) would fit it best...

Another question...On ebay there are two graded restored AF15 in 9.0

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-9-0-Origin-1st-Spider-man-R-cm-/350199088180?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51897e0434

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350351048710&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They look incredibly price attractive, but after reading this huge thread I realized that most collectors prefer a cgc 5.0 than a restored 9.0....so I withdrew myself from the intention ofof purchasing one of these.

What do you think about it?

I also wonder why the PGX copy is 1/2 the price of the CGC...

THANKS FOR THE ATTENTION

FEDERICO

sig.jpg

WTTB :) (Hope you survive the asylum :insane: )

Awesome story on the ASM #1 :applause:

Your dad has good taste in books (thumbs u

I hope you'll have fun reading our posts :grin:

Hello to all...from ITALY!

I spent few hours to read ALL posts of this thread and I found so much useful information and tips about AF15.

Unluckily I have not (yet) a story to tell about an AF15 since I still don't own it (yet) :ò)

But my AS1 has one incredible story instead (cutting&pasting from my recently posted journal):

"I can't believe it...my AS 1 was CGC GRADED as a 9.0 with WHITE PAGES!!!

How many books in such a nice shape still exist?

This copy has an almost unbelievable story My father travelled to NY in 1963(!) for a business trip.

He saw some superheroes comics at the newstands and bought a bunch of them. The cover of Spider-Man 1 looked so intriguing to him that he carefully placed the comic in the middle of his papers and brought it back home to Italy.

Once there he put the book inside a closet under a heavy pile of books...where it remained for 45 years!

When I found it a couple of years ago, I could not believe my eye such a precious jem remained in a dark and dry enevironment for so long! It looked to me a 9.2 with almost zero defects (no visible spine stress, no chipping, no wear!). Cgc graded it 9.0 with white pages on 24/05/2010(WOW)!I am incredibly happy with this find as sometimes dreams come true!

FEDERICO - ITALY "

I also have a special question for all of you....my early Spidey collection is made mostly by 9.0-9.2 (not all are graded though): you can check my registry and have an idea ...but after the AF15 price boost of the last few years I left myself wondering what graded AF15 (CGC 6.5 7.0 7.5 8.0...?) would fit it best...

Another question...On ebay there are two graded restored AF15 in 9.0

http://cgi.ebay.com/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-9-0-Origin-1st-Spider-man-R-cm-/350199088180?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51897e0434

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350351048710&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They look incredibly price attractive, but after reading this huge thread I realized that most collectors prefer a cgc 5.0 than a restored 9.0....so I withdrew myself from the intention ofof purchasing one of these.

I also wonder why the PGX copy is 1/2 the price of the CGC...

THANKS FOR THE ATTENTION

FEDERICO

sig.jpg

WTTB :) (Hope you survive the asylum :insane: )

Awesome story on the ASM #1 :applause:

Your dad has good taste in books (thumbs u

I hope you'll have fun reading our posts :grin:

What she said (thumbs u

Is there a linky to F's 9.0 SM1 ? Where are the registry scans?

He has a link to his registry sets at the bottom of his first post--here's the scan of the Spidey 1.

0167586001O.jpg

The colors are extremely bright on this Uno. There's no toning on the cover, something that 1's have notoriously! The reds are ablazin', the whites are ultra-white, and the PQ, well, we won't go there!!

:takeit: (thumbs u :applause::acclaim::headbang:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-FIRST-SPIDER-MAN-MARVEL-CGC-5-0-/360263593482?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53e1622e0a

:news:

AF15 CGC 5.0 OW Pence copy

No MC

Starting Bid at $4995

At this starting bid, it is priced to sell. At price of 9K? hm

Sold for $4995. Although there were four bids by the same person (shrug)

There have been some new additions to the registry - this is now the second highest UK copy.

Still think it's priced too high for a 9d though.

Yeah Italy is so beautiful and rich of history! every single small or large city has something to see, ancient monuments to visit and tipycal food!

Anyway I am away from home now but I think that next week I will be able to scan my AS1 for further discussions.

Considering the AF15 current prices...I understand that being a proud owner of a CGC 6.5-8.0 already takes the spidey collector to heaven :)

BUT nobody replied to my question about the restored CGC.

Arent these examples of graded 9.0 attractive ?

"Another question...On ebay there are two graded restored AF15 in 9.0

http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/Amazing-Fantasy-15-CGC-9-0-Origin-1st-Spider-man-R-cm-/350199088180?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51897e0434

http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350351048710&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I also wonder why the PGX copy is 1/2 the price of the CGC..."

FEDERICO

They're insane. They're deluded. They're the types of obsessive-compulsive whackjobs who wash their hands 80 times a day and weigh everything that goes into and comes out of their body down to the half-gram. It makes no sense--it is precisely senseless. Why would you own a 5.0 when you can own essentially the exact same book with a minuscule amount of additional material added in a professional, removable way to make the book look a million times better? The answer is that if you are sane, you wouldn't. :insane:

The main reason the PGX book is cheaper is because it's extensively restored, which means that with restoration removed it's a lower-graded book. Both books are currently overpriced though, particularly the moderately-restored 9.0 for $13K. Market value of a restored book hovers somewhere around the same as the book lacking that restoration, and a moderate 9.0 with piece replacement is likely a 4.0 - 5.0 book with that restoration removed, which is a $5K - $9K book. Moderately restored 9.0s have sold between $4K to $8K in the past, NEVER above $10K.

They're insane. They're deluded. They're the types of obsessive-compulsive whackjobs who wash their hands 80 times a day and weigh everything that goes into and comes out of their body down to the half-gram. It makes no sense--it is precisely senseless. Why would you own a 5.0 when you can own essentially the exact same book with a minuscule amount of additional material added in a professional, removable way to make the book look a million times better? The answer is that if you are sane, you wouldn't. :insane:

The main reason the PGX book is cheaper is because it's extensively restored, which means that with restoration removed it's a lower-graded book. Both books are currently overpriced though, particularly the moderately-restored 9.0 for $13K. Market value of a restored book hovers somewhere around the same as the book lacking that restoration, and a moderate 9.0 with piece replacement is likely a 4.0 - 5.0 book with that restoration removed, which is a $5K - $9K book. Moderately restored 9.0s have sold between $4K to $8K in the past, NEVER above $10K.

I too, have never seen a mod AF15 sell for more than high 8K range (thumbs u

Very good analogy. (thumbs u

There was a restored 9.0 sold in the HA auction a week ago, it went for $6500. I would have loved to have it instead of my two 5.0+ copies. I'm fine with the value if it doesn't become devalued for some reason. I think restored books are undervalued, meaning that if you turned a 5.0 into a 9.0, it should not decrease in value.

I believe the fair evaluation of a restored book would be to use both it's end condition along with it's starting condition. If only the end result is known, then make assumptions of it being a certain low grade book(same result as now). If there is documentation of the restoration and the starting point, reward it with a barely higher value than it started at. That's fair, and would not affect 99% of what's out there.

PGX is not as trusted as CGC for finding restoration in a book, and their grading is also not as consistent. That is what I have gathered.

Slights though have sold significantly north of 10K: I recall examples from 15K (9.0) to 50K (9.6). Impressive for a slight PLODs

Slights though have sold significantly north of 10K: I recall examples from 15K (9.0) to 50K (9.6). Impressive for a slight PLODs

naturally, it is highly likely that the reason a slight would sell for more is because of the hope of removing the resto to get the book to an "unrestored" designation... at least, that is likely the mindset, no way to know for sure, without asking the purchasers of such books, but a pretty fair leap of faith...

if a 9.0 slight only had a little color touch, that could be easily scraped, and at worse case you would probably have a 7.0 or higher..."worth" double the price tag , so it is a risk/reward game (IMO)

Agreed, the reputable restorers will not touch a mid/high grade copy of AF15 now, because of the loss in value to work on it. It was explained to me that the high grade restored copies that exist were all done many many years ago, when the value wasn't killed so bad.

naturally, it is highly likely that the reason a slight would sell for more is because of the hope of removing the resto to get the book to an "unrestored" designation... at least, that is likely the mindset, no way to know for sure, without asking the purchasers of such books, but a pretty fair leap of faith...

if a 9.0 slight only had a little color touch, that could be easily scraped, and at worse case you would probably have a 7.0 or higher..."worth" double the price tag , so it is a risk/reward game (IMO)

I did a lot of research into that particular PGX copy. After some snooping around I was only able to determine that the seller does not at all seem trustworthy and it is a very reasonable assumption if graded by CGC the book may come back as trimmed.

Hey GAtor, - I stumpled over this thread from the restoe forum, - it is exactly what you are talking about: slightly CTed PLOD scraped and 'Cha-Ching': there goes a blue lable book ready to be flipped on the bay lol

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2281755&fpart=1

FF is no longer FF - it stands for Feebay Flipper :grin:

Question, I just scanned my lower AF15 again to send off to CGC, possibly to sell. What do I do with it having just discovered the right edge trimmed? I bought this so many years ago I cannot remember what I did and did not find issues with. I may have known it 25 years ago, but not now.

This AF15 appeared to be a decent 4.5 or so when I first scanned it. I wasn't comparing it to other books, but today I found at least two more trimmed books.

Matt nelson had already strongly suggested on leaving it alone to sell unrestored. Now that it is damaged goods, what would it sell for versus what it's worth fully restored? I'm sending it to Matt first to evaluate with other ASM to sell.

So what might an apparent 4.5/5.0 AF15 sell for? The spine is the weakest part of the book. The top and bottom edges are good, it has decent OW paper quality, but the cover is dingy or smudged.

AF15front50apparent.jpg

AF15back50apparent.jpg