• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Fine being $16k for a 6.0?

Dunno, I just don't see the book getting more than 6.0 if you were to resubmit and tell CGC not to give it another Qualified grade. Gator shared with us the grades he's seen some high-grade GA books get with hole punches many pages back in this thread, I think it was in the 5.0 range but forget exactly.

That is a pretty optimistic price. hm

So many nice qualities to the book, but that one fatal flaw. Would be fascinating to see how this book would do in a real auction.

optimistically speaking, it's really only slightly trimmed.

in circles. :insane:

Fine being $16k for a 6.0?

Dunno, I just don't see the book getting more than 6.0 if you were to resubmit and tell CGC not to give it another Qualified grade. Gator shared with us the grades he's seen some high-grade GA books get with hole punches many pages back in this thread, I think it was in the 5.0 range but forget exactly.

I see, there are examples of GA books, and the option of requesting a blue label with the defect included etc.

I try to look at that kind of book and see it both ways, the core of that one is still like a NM copy. It's not worth anything like what a NM book is, but how much less is fair you know? Is it a 10% of NM book, or 1/3, or 1/2, or should it be 5% etc? That's a tough call, thus the wild range of prices for restored books. It comes down to the buyer in the end. Regards,

I try to look at that kind of book and see it both ways, the core of that one is still like a NM copy. It's not worth anything like what a NM book is, but how much less is fair you know? Is it a 10% of NM book, or 1/3, or 1/2, or should it be 5% etc? That's a tough call, thus the wild range of prices for restored books. It comes down to the buyer in the end. Regards,

Thus my earlier comment about valuing the green "Qualified" labels. There is a general rule of thumb when it comes to PLODS, but the greens are so much rarer and the defects can be so much more unique that I have no idea how to assign values to them except on a case by case basis. Anyone know of a general formula that they or someone else uses to value the Qualifieds?

Anyone know of a general formula that they or someone else uses to value the Qualifieds?

They throw so many defects into the Qualified grade that this is impossible...and that's why it's a useless distinction. OK, so the Edenwald AF15 is a "qualified" 9.4...but what's the REAL grade so we can value it? We don't know...it's essentially an ungraded book. :eek:

I give the book 5.0-5.5 grade and add a 25% premium for being a unique defect copy.

So you'd pay MORE because the defect is a conversation starter?

lol I didn't quite get that either.

Anyone know of a general formula that they or someone else uses to value the Qualifieds?

They throw so many defects into the Qualified grade that this is impossible...and that's why it's a useless distinction. OK, so the Edenwald AF15 is a "qualified" 9.4...but what's the REAL grade so we can value it? We don't know...it's essentially an ungraded book. :eek:

Yep, they need to do away with the qualified grade, and just deduct for the defect. Having that '9.4' on the label is a mind.

That TOS 39 that Jive bought is a perfect example of why the qualified label doesn't make sense. Worked out for him, though.

Are you talking about that #39 with the tiny hole in the comics code stamp? That is a pretty book and the green label for that was silly. I would resub it and request the blue label and he would immediately become richer.

Ditto, super nice 8.5 book that they hurt just as much as that AF15 GLOD 9.4 book. With such a hard to notice hole like the TOS 39 has, it can sell well IMO.

Has anyone asked any questions about this book to the seller?

He has me blocked from bidding because i asked too many questions about the book....and curious if anyone actually got any sort of a reply,other than "it's from 1962"..then i was blocked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-/140457636963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b3ed7463

Has anyone asked any questions about this book to the seller?

He has me blocked from bidding because i asked too many questions about the book....and curious if anyone actually got any sort of a reply,other than "it's from 1962"..then i was blocked.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMAZING-FANTASY-15-/140457636963?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b3ed7463

:applause:

I think it ended less than 10k

Yeah, that is my recollection too.

I was the high bidder on it back in 2008 somewhere between 8 and 9k. The reserve was 30k at the time. Now I'm in the small minority that really loves this book. The holes are definitely obtrusive, but there's something endearing about the fact that they were caused intentionally by someone who enjoyed the book for what it was at the time- just a comic, not a cultural icon. The book is otherwise basically perfect and the closest I would probably ever get to a NM AF15. So I upped my offer significantly after the auction. I was told that the seller wanted 27k and wouldn't budge.

Fast forward to early 2010. I decided the heck with it and I went back to Clink prepared to make a deal. Turns out the seller now won't take less than 40k....

???

I must say : 40K - a in steep BIN ... I presume it has appeared to the seller that the book in question actually has got three holes in it ... ?! (shrug)

I must say : 40K - a in steep BIN ... I presume it has appeared to the seller that the book in question actually has got three holes in it ... ?! (shrug)

I know, but how much is a 9.4 AF15 worth? What would it sell for if the holes weren't there? Those are more important questions.