• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

That is actually incorrect. I would say unless the value of restored books surges to a higher percentage of blue labels you have seen the last 9.0 you will see on the census. The unrestored book required to make a 9.0 Sp or Mp is worth a hell of a lot more than the 7-10K the restored book brings.

Feeling disagreeable today I take it? :makepoint: I was describing what would happen just as you just did, that if the value of restored books surged up, it would surge back down again because it would incent people to start creating additional supply. I doubt we ever see a substantial increase, but it'd be very interesting if we did.

So I can restore this to a 9.2-9.4. That's if the price is right. :insane:

RAD7BAD02010825_135826.jpg

The range of grade to be able to achieve a PLOD 9.# is something in the 6.0-7.5 range. I was told this by Matt Nelson, so I think that's a safe guideline.

If a 6.0 could really get to a PLOD 9.0, what's the value change? The unrestored 6.0 is around $25k right now, and that is going to keep going up. So until a PLOD 9.0 with that much restoration can sell for over $25k(the going 6.0+ value), nobody is going to make any more 9.0's that way.

There are actually a lot of 9.# PLODs now, about 21 as I recall. As long as the value of the blue labeled books goes up, there is easily room for PLODs to double in price and still not affect HG restoration figures.

The 8.5 AF15 in the last auction went for $108,000. My AF15 PLOD 9.0 has just slight CT and the top edge trimmed. I had it in hand last week, and if the top edge was a typical overhang before trimming, it could have been an 8.5/9.0 before the work was done. I'm good with that, it's a keeper to me. Regards,

af15cgcfront90.jpg

af15rawfront90cttrimmed.jpg

pict2728.jpg

First congrats on your great AF15! What is a book with this little restoe worth and how many exists - in this slight category. If there are 21 9.x plods out there, perhaps only 10-15% of these will be in the slight category?? I.e. books that were worked on by dishonest sellers wayeeee before cgc arrived. If thats is so the slight 9.0 plods will be getting harder to find in the commin years.

You say: The range of grade to be able to achieve a PLOD 9.# is something in the 6.0-7.5 range. I was told this by Matt Nelson, so I think that's a safe guideline.

Is that for moderate work or is it what is possible in general?

Matt told me for a reasonable cost, that's what you'd need to start with. I don't know if that means extensive for the 6.0, and moderate for a 7.5 book. Just looking at the bottom starting grade, it's never a good idea to restore a book worth so much beforehand. Any expert will tell a person that a $25,000+ book is not wise to mess with if it's going to end up being a PLOD that sells for $5k to $15k right now. Matt told me that in a polite way.

So either a buyer comes up with $30k-$50k for a very nice mid grade copy, or the buyer should find one of the many existing 9.0+ restored copies for far less money. I don't have that kind of money, so I'll take the better looking PLOD.

Can you see the color touch on my AF15, in the raw scan? It's there on the brown in two places, on stress marks near the spine.

Let me see. hm top left corner near the "A" and at the spine near Spiderman's word block. (shrug)

That be my guess also (thumbs u

This is a beautiful copy with minor resto. Looks like only 1/16" to 1/8" trimmed from the top edges, otherwise I think it could have been at least an 8.0.

Let me see. hm top left corner near the "A" and at the spine near Spiderman's word block. (shrug)

That be my guess also (thumbs u

This is a beautiful copy with minor resto. Looks like only 1/16" to 1/8" trimmed from the top edges, otherwise I think it could have been at least an 8.0.

I don wanna hear it :(

Yes, that's it, and besides the three spine stresses it has no other big issues besides the resto. It's not anything that can be undone, somebody screwed up long ago, but it's the same HG book.

It presents really nice so that's a keeper for me. I never collected comics for money or anyone else. They have always been just a personal collection for the love of the characters.

Now to find out what my raw unrestored copy is, and sell that. Regards,

Don, do you still have the other raw AF15? if so stack them on top of each other and take a photo for us to see how much trim it may have been...not that all books are cut exactly the same but we can get an idea if you can do that.

Yes I got that too, I posted the middle because it has content near the top showing the distance to the edge. This one shows the paper and the bleed through of the CT, I think it's in three places by this.

pict2729.jpg

Dang nice PQ there !!!

Yes I got that too, I posted the middle because it has content near the top showing the distance to the edge. This one shows the paper and the bleed through of the CT, I think it's in three places by this.

pict2729.jpg

Dang nice PQ there !!!

That's so peeeerrrtttty Don, it's almost unreal! :cloud9:

That is actually incorrect. I would say unless the value of restored books surges to a higher percentage of blue labels you have seen the last 9.0 you will see on the census. The unrestored book required to make a 9.0 Sp or Mp is worth a hell of a lot more than the 7-10K the restored book brings.

Feeling disagreeable today I take it? :makepoint: I was describing what would happen just as you just did, that if the value of restored books surged up, it would surge back down again because it would incent people to start creating additional supply. I doubt we ever see a substantial increase, but it'd be very interesting if we did.

So I can restore this to a 9.2-9.4. That's if the price is right. :insane:

RAD7BAD02010825_135826.jpg

The range of grade to be able to achieve a PLOD 9.# is something in the 6.0-7.5 range. I was told this by Matt Nelson, so I think that's a safe guideline.

If a 6.0 could really get to a PLOD 9.0, what's the value change? The unrestored 6.0 is around $25k right now, and that is going to keep going up. So until a PLOD 9.0 with that much restoration can sell for over $25k(the going 6.0+ value), nobody is going to make any more 9.0's that way.

There are actually a lot of 9.# PLODs now, about 21 as I recall. As long as the value of the blue labeled books goes up, there is easily room for PLODs to double in price and still not affect HG restoration figures.

The 8.5 AF15 in the last auction went for $108,000. My AF15 PLOD 9.0 has just slight CT and the top edge trimmed. I had it in hand last week, and if the top edge was a typical overhang before trimming, it could have been an 8.5/9.0 before the work was done. I'm good with that, it's a keeper to me. Regards,

af15cgcfront90.jpg

af15rawfront90cttrimmed.jpg

pict2728.jpg

That CT is blatantly amateur work !

pict2729.jpg

That is severly miniscule bleedthrough - but i still warrants a massive discount though :)

pict2729.jpg

I would comment, but I've jusss....pppaaaassssssssssssddd....ouuuttt.

(worship):o:insane: