• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Fantasy #15 Club

7,730 posts in this topic

Was curious what the Board thinks of Marvel Chipping vs. either date stamp or grease numbering. If a Book with grease numbering like Blazing Bob's on Ebay (16k) 5.5 more distracting than a 5.0 or 5.5 with significant chipping. Page quality equal..

Neither would work for me,but given the choice I would take the chipping. meh

Was curious what the Board thinks of Marvel Chipping vs. either date stamp or grease numbering. If a Book with grease numbering like Blazing Bob's on Ebay (16k) 5.5 more distracting than a 5.0 or 5.5 with significant chipping. Page quality equal..

Neither would work for me,but given the choice I would take the chipping. meh

My recent quest for a chip free book with no date stamp or writing in the 5.0 range for the money I wanted to spend was very challenging, seeing as though I had to wait and wait and see countless 3.5 ~ 4.5's pass by. I watched a 9.6 break the $1 Mil mark, causing an uprising throughout all grades. I was in fear that I would wait myself right out of the market and 5.5+ books are too far north of my financial abilities. Fustrating is to be ready to buy that book, when it just doesn't exist in the market. Overpaying is another issue. Settling for a chipped up, stamped, written on, CGC gift graded AF15 is something I wasn't willing to compromise. Good luck to anyone obtaining this grail book, it is a "you can't always get what you wan't" kinda book if there ever was one.

My thoughts exactly. This is where I find myself...hating to wait forever (and then having the money drip away in the interim) settling for a book I think I can move later, or overpaying and not having what I truly want and spent 10 grand...and then still waiting and not being able to sell what I have when that elusive book is in my price range...if ever since you guys keep pushing the sales up with all your bucks

I would much rather have a 3.5 AF#15 with no chipping and ink marks than a 5.5 with those flaws.

Okay, where are those books? Most SA books have some kind of stamp/writing on them from the dealer. To me that's something you have to put up with unfortunately, and I hate markings on books.

I was looking for HG Spider-Man in the 70's, and I could afford them all as a teenager. I've watched the prices soar since then, while the books weren't available. Now that the books can be found, they cost too much.

My thoughts exactly. This is where I find myself...hating to wait forever (and then having the money drip away in the interim) settling for a book I think I can move later, or overpaying and not having what I truly want and spent 10 grand...and then still waiting and not being able to sell what I have when that elusive book is in my price range...if ever since you guys keep pushing the sales up with all your bucks

Without the comic book reference, your statement sounds exactly like many comments I used to hear during the housing boom. Makes you wonder.

Without the comic book reference, your statement sounds exactly like many comments I used to hear during the housing boom. Makes you wonder.

+1 only if you add a zero

Good thing we aren't taking out mortgages on comic books. There are quality 3.5s out there. Fortunately, if any of the current owners need to sell in order to pay for their living expenses, there are a host of buyers.

You can't live in a slab. Maybe if you had enough of them you could make a very colorful lean-to...

If this book meets reserve it should give us an indication of where we are at on VF range AF #15 copies. This CGC 7.5 copy has already been bid up to $35K which is over the $32K that the last copy sold for on Heritage (the copy with the chipping if I remember correctly).

Structurally decent, albeit with a dust shadow on the back cover and c/ow pages. Still nice and sharp looking from the front.

That looks great from the front Roy, but the back gives a hint that the PQ isn't very good.

That would be a higher grade if it had better PQ. I wouldn't buy a book so expensive if the paper is really questionable. For the short term investor it likely will get passed along, but somebody is going to lose in the long run. I think the high price is due to the appearance at a glance from the front alone.

That looks great from the front Roy, but the back gives a hint that the PQ isn't very good.

That would be a higher grade if it had better PQ. I wouldn't buy a book so expensive if the paper is really questionable. For the short term investor it likely will get passed along, but somebody is going to lose in the long run. I think the high price is due to the appearance at a glance from the front alone.

I personally wouldn't judge it so harshly by the poor scans alone...and no idea what the interior looks like. It might be tanned, might not be. I've got a nice Silver Age book right now that is tanned on the outside and near white on the inside. You never know.

Still will be interesting to watch.

I personally wouldn't judge it so harshly by the poor scans alone...and no idea what the interior looks like. It might be tanned, might not be. I've got a nice Silver Age book right now that is tanned on the outside and near white on the inside. You never know.

Still will be interesting to watch.

Have a feeling it won't meet the reserve... whatever it is.

Ebay reserves are sometimes way overpriced....I have seen people have a reserve for double the original sale price. That's a waste of money on ebay fees if your not going to try and sell it. lol at least you get free shipping :) for this auction...don't think it matters since your paying about 40k...

Ebay reserves are sometimes way overpriced....I have seen people have a reserve for double the original sale price. That's a waste of money on ebay fees if your not going to try and sell it. lol at least you get free shipping :) for this auction...don't think it matters since your paying about 40k...

it's not a waste of money if its used as an advertising tool

From what I know of neatstuff and from what I have seen in their listings, I think if you contact them, they will tell you the reserve.

If this book meets reserve it should give us an indication of where we are at on VF range AF #15 copies. This CGC 7.5 copy has already been bid up to $35K which is over the $32K that the last copy sold for on Heritage (the copy with the chipping if I remember correctly).

Structurally decent, albeit with a dust shadow on the back cover and c/ow pages. Still nice and sharp looking from the front.

under $37k and reserve no met.

back to regular program, lets see how the nice copy in the upcoming Heritage auction will do

lets not forget that a 7.5 went for $40k, $42k, $52k in 2008 and 2009 so this book has a long way to go to get back to the high...regardless the PQ and all the other issues people want to throw in there to justify the prices.

back to regular program, lets see how the nice copy in the upcoming Heritage auction will do

lets not forget that a 7.5 went for $40k, $42k, $52k in 2008 and 2009 so this book has a long way to go to get back to the high...regardless the PQ and all the other issues people want to throw in there to justify the prices.

Mine went for 42k and change with WPs & still residing on... :cloud9:

Mine went for 42k and change with WPs & still residing on... :cloud9:

Let me know and bring it my way. :cloud9: