• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The PRIMETIME & PARKER Swap Meet

74 posts in this topic

mmc4 is minor, as is mmc9 (thumbs u

Argh my ears and eyes are bleeding. Technically you might be correct but which one is more important?

Which ever one you own or want to own! They are both great books :cool: In fact, any single digit MM is killer :)

I would take the MMC #9 as it is scarcer than the Detect #33.

I am not sure if that is an entirely accurate statement. But I do agree that that is the perception.

As a Timely guy, I love Marvel 9. But Detective 33 is the Origin of Batman. The first time we see young Bruce Wayne's parents shot. The first time we see the bat that inspires Bruce to strike terror into the hearts of criminals, that cowardly lot. The creation of the weird figure of the dark, the avenger of evil, The Batman. It just doesn't get much cooler than that.

I agree. Tec #33 all the way. (thumbs u

Argh my ears and eyes are bleeding. Technically you might be correct but which one is more important?

As far as I am concerned, Marvel 9 is more important. The concept of characters crossing over, battling, and creating story continuity was a revelation. And all the tales of the creation of that issue, with artists and writers knocking it out over a weekend, only adds to the mystique. But, despite years of opinion to the contrary, it is becoming apparent that Marvel 4 not only is important (1st Sub-Mariner cover) but also possibly scarcer than 2,3 or 5. It is certainly scarcer in grade.

But, despite years of opinion to the contrary, it is becoming apparent that Marvel 4 not only is important (1st Sub-Mariner cover) but also possibly scarcer than 2,3 or 5. It is certainly scarcer in grade.

That's an interesting point of view and when I think of it I haven't seen too many copies of issue #4 in fine or better. Lots of low grade stuff or at least from what I've seen, I've owned 3 copies in the last 4-5 years. I haven't focused on issue #3 very much because its not my favorite cover but rarely do I see decent unrestored copies. Issue #5 has shown its head a few times in the last couple of years but generally not a book that you can acquire by surfing dealer websites or EBay at any given time. If I had to pick one of the above issue I'd say #2 is the hardest of the bunch. I know of one low grade restored issue that is available online but outside of that you almost never see copies for sale.

As far as I am concerned, Marvel 9 is more important. The concept of characters crossing over, battling, and creating story continuity was a revelation. And all the tales of the creation of that issue, with artists and writers knocking it out over a weekend, only adds to the mystique. But, despite years of opinion to the contrary, it is becoming apparent that Marvel 4 not only is important (1st Sub-Mariner cover) but also possibly scarcer than 2,3 or 5. It is certainly scarcer in grade.

in my searching, I found 9 to be the "toughest" 1-10 issue... from there, availability (hardest to easiest)

just my observations

in my searching, I found 9 to be the "toughest" 1-10 issue... from there, availability (hardest to easiest)

just my observations

you know i love you, so don't take my correction wrong, but just so you know for next time: in a "1-10" set, there should be 10 items. just my observations.

just my observations

you know i love you, so don't take my correction wrong, but just so you know for next time: in a "1-10" set, there should be 10 items. just my observations.

Oh snap! lol

A little census info...

Marvel 2 has 18 total copies graded. 8 unrestored/ 10 restored. 4 copies 6.0 or above.

Marvel 3 has 15 copies graded. 8 unrestored/7 restored. 2 copies at or above 6.0.

Marvel 4 has 19 copies graded. 10 unrestored/9 restored. 1 at or above 6.0.

Marvel 5 has 17 copies graded. 10 unrestored/7 restored. 3 at or above 6.0.

Marvel 9 has 23 copies graded. 20 unrestored/3 restored. 4 at or above 6.0.

A little census info...

Marvel 2 has 18 total copies graded. 8 unrestored/ 10 restored. 4 copies 6.0 or above.

Marvel 3 has 15 copies graded. 8 unrestored/7 restored. 2 copies at or above 6.0.

thus, it is not the scarcest, but simply a book collectors are reluctant to part with. believe me, i was reluctant. your earlier post spot-on, as usual [now, what kind of deal will you give me on that fight 5?].

just my observations

good points boys. My thought is that the 9 is quite possibly the highest demand (outside of Marvel 1), relatively, and scarcest...collectors don't trade this book often, so we rarely see it available--thus the "perception" of it being rare is assumed. 1-5 are generally tough as well. I see plenty of #10s being offered..

Richard that is interesting info. I was always under the impression that #4 was more common than surrounding issues...even in grade.

So if MMC#4 is a "mega key" then what is MMC#9? (shrug)

I would consider MMC #9 a big key.

If Superman #76, FF #12, FF #55 etc. and a litany of other issues can be considered keys (even minor keys) due to cross-over appearances and battles it only stands to reason that the first ever Superhero cross over/battle/continuity issue should be considered a ground breaking key.

As far as MMC #4 I am a bit biased in that regard but do not consider myself far off.

:cool:

A little census info...

And here are the numbers for pre-Robin Batman Tecs and early Actions (number of 6.0 or better is ONLY for unrestored copies):

Detective Comics #27 - 39 copies graded: 18 unrestored, 21 restored (6 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #28 - 14 copies graded: 5 unrestored, 9 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #29 - 26 copies graded: 12 unrestored, 14 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #30 - 20 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 10 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #31 - 39 copies graded: 21 unrestored, 18 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #32 - 21 copies graded: 15 unrestored, 1 qualified, 5 restored (2 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #33 - 44 copies graded: 20 unrestored, 24 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #34 - 29 copies graded: 16 unrestored, 13 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #35 - 23 copies graded: 9 unrestored, 2 qualified, 12 restored (1 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #36 - 29 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 19 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #37 - 21 copies graded: 15 unrestored, 6 restored (5 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #1 - 36 copies graded: 22 unrestored, 1 qualified, 13 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #2 - 21 copies graded: 11 unrestored, 10 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #3 - 16 copies graded: 7 unrestored, 1 qualified, 8 restored (1 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #4 - 17 copies graded: 9 unrestored, 8 restored (2 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #5 - 19 copies graded: 8 unrestored, 1 qualified, 10 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #6 - 20 copies graded: 11 unrestored, 1 qualified, 8 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #7 - 16 copies graded: 8 unrestored, 1 qualified, 7 restored (2 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #8 - 14 copies graded: 5 unrestored, 1 qualified, 8 restored (2 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #9 - 11 copies graded: 3 unrestored, 8 restored (1 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #10 - 18 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 8 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #14 - 15 copies graded: 8 unrestored, 7 restored (0 in 6.0 or better with 5.5 being tops :o )

just my observations

I guess I should not have assumed folks would know that 1 is the easiest, and therefor omitted (heck, it is not even part of the MMC run) lol and a doh!

Richard that is interesting info. I was always under the impression that #4 was more common than surrounding issues...even in grade.

it is, relative... keep in mind, many don't CGC their single digit MMC...sure, the census is a great reference point, but it does not show the "whole" picture (thumbs u

A little census info...

thus, it is not the scarcest, but simply a book collectors are reluctant to part with. believe me, i was reluctant. your earlier post spot-on, as usual [now, what kind of deal will you give me on that fight 5?].

Or, it could mean #9 is most popular with more copies being sent in for grading (don't forget resubs coming in and getting the same grade), while less Marvel 2-4 owners have sent their copies in...did that make sense? :P

A little census info...

And here are the numbers for pre-Robin Batman Tecs and early Actions (number of 6.0 or better is ONLY for unrestored copies):

Detective Comics #27 - 39 copies graded: 18 unrestored, 21 restored (6 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #28 - 14 copies graded: 5 unrestored, 9 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #29 - 26 copies graded: 12 unrestored, 14 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #30 - 20 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 10 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #31 - 39 copies graded: 21 unrestored, 18 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #32 - 21 copies graded: 15 unrestored, 1 qualified, 5 restored (2 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #33 - 44 copies graded: 20 unrestored, 24 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #34 - 29 copies graded: 16 unrestored, 13 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #35 - 23 copies graded: 9 unrestored, 2 qualified, 12 restored (1 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #36 - 29 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 19 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Detective Comics #37 - 21 copies graded: 15 unrestored, 6 restored (5 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #1 - 36 copies graded: 22 unrestored, 1 qualified, 13 restored (4 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #2 - 21 copies graded: 11 unrestored, 10 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #3 - 16 copies graded: 7 unrestored, 1 qualified, 8 restored (1 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #4 - 17 copies graded: 9 unrestored, 8 restored (2 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #5 - 19 copies graded: 8 unrestored, 1 qualified, 10 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #6 - 20 copies graded: 11 unrestored, 1 qualified, 8 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #7 - 16 copies graded: 8 unrestored, 1 qualified, 7 restored (2 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #8 - 14 copies graded: 5 unrestored, 1 qualified, 8 restored (2 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #9 - 11 copies graded: 3 unrestored, 8 restored (1 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #10 - 18 copies graded: 10 unrestored, 8 restored (3 in 6.0 or better)

Action Comics #14 - 15 copies graded: 8 unrestored, 7 restored (0 in 6.0 or better with 5.5 being tops :o )

The highlighted books appear to be bargains if available.

Wow what a mega trade!! Congrats to both of you guys. I'd take either book actually. The more I see MM 9, the more I'm loving it. Heck, I might even pick up a copy somewhere down the line. I just don't know if I would break up my pre-robin tec run though