• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: FF 1

39 posts in this topic

ah....5.5 unrestored. :tonofbricks:

Nice book, I'm more than a tad jealous. There is a time limit for editing a thread or changing a title, not sure what it is. A buddy wanted to edit his selling thread to post :news:SOLD notices but couldn't. He resorted to moving the images in photobucket to remove the links to the scans.

Thanks. for ever and ever- I have never heard that Latin phrase before. Good thing for google!

secula seculorum

Actually I think a more literal translation would be "from this age and into the ages" as people did not develop the concept of forever until more recent times.

Sound like nit picking until you try to translate something and then it makes all the difference in the world as far as the meaning goes....I think people have just come to accept the two as being the same when in fact they are not.

BTW, congrats on the FF #1. I had mine in the grading forum as well and it got a 5.5 about 2 weeks ago.

(thumbs u

I'm pretty stunned by that grade :o

congrats and all that, but with that massive tape pull, the marvel chipping and all the spine stress, there's a reason that no one even had this book as 4.5 - 5.0...let alone a 5.5...

oh well, that's why we submit the books.............

I submitted this to CGC and just found out they gave it a blue 5.5 OW/W! The comic definitely looks better in hand than the scans show. I was hoping for a 5.0, as I thought they would take a point off for the tape pull and it does look like a 6.0 otherwise. I should get it back tomorrow- hopefully they did not make an error on the web site.

Also, what is the rule on editing a thread? Is there a time limit? I wanted to change the title of the thread to indicate that the book was graded, but can't seem to do that.

Thanks everyone.

Yep, there is a time limit for editing.

Gift grade. :o

(worship)

I'm pretty stunned by that grade :o

congrats and all that, but with that massive tape pull, the marvel chipping and all the spine stress, there's a reason that no one even had this book as 4.5 - 5.0...let alone a 5.5...

It's a nice book and I certainly don't mean to diss it...

But is there anyone here that would be happy if they bought CGC 5.5 sight unseen and this book arrived?

If it was a black cover with the same exact paper loss, would it have even gotten a 3.0?

Sorry, CGC really dropped the ball on this one.

Zipper68 has hit the nail right on the head. I'd be some pissed off if I bought this sight unseen and this book arrived. It would be promptly returned to the seller for a complete refund. I am not sure what the graders were looking at. But it is at best a 4.5 A good, fair grade would be 4.0 What say you Mr. Borock? Would you be happy to buy this book at the 5.5 value?? The CGC dropped the ball so much that the ball must of turned into a blistering hot potato. IMHO

Given the other flaws 5.5 would appear to be a fairly accurate grade without considering the tape pull - could it be that it was missed by the graders? Seems unlikely, but (shrug)

I would put that copy up on ebay with a ebay standard sized pic and state no refund on CGC graded books. I would then promptly turn around and spend that money on another better presenting copy of FF in the 4.0-5.0 range. Any extra money could go towards something else. Your existing copy is still nice by the way.

Given the other flaws 5.5 would appear to be a fairly accurate grade without considering the tape pull

That was my first thought too. 5.5 would seem reasonable without the tape pull/color loss. Is it possible CGC decided it was a production defect of some sort?

Would be very interesting to hear the graders' notes on this one.

Or that the defect did not affect the eye appeal much...wonder if it would have graded differently if the cover was darker and not a white one.

R.

Or that the defect did not affect the eye appeal much...wonder if it would have graded differently if the cover was darker and not a white one.

Since when has CGC focused on eye appeal? :baiting:

NM looking books get hammered down to 8.0/8.5 all the time due to nearly invisible non colorbreaking bends or "thumb dents" that have almost zero impact on eye appeal.

I thought CGC was all about "structure" and "technical defects." A strip of paper loss is a huge structural and technical defect.

(shrug)

Given the other flaws 5.5 would appear to be a fairly accurate grade without considering the tape pull - could it be that it was missed by the graders? Seems unlikely, but (shrug)

I agree - it appears to be an accurate grade. :)

Since when has CGC focused on eye appeal? :baiting:

NM looking books get hammered down to 8.0/8.5 all the time due to nearly invisible non colorbreaking bends or "thumb dents" that have almost zero impact on eye appeal.

I thought CGC was all about "structure" and "technical defects." A strip of paper loss is a huge structural and technical defect.

(shrug)

CGC does take into account eye appeal, just not in the way that we do.

You can have a book length crease that does not break color and it still gets a 6.5 where a lot of traditional graders would give it a VG range grade...stuff like that.

You can have a stain on a book that brings the book to 6.5 and a traditional grader would give it a VG range grade.

I think the general rule of thumb to remember is that as you move out of the VF and NM range large defects affect the grade less and less.

Maybe CGC just took the defect as a loss of gloss....almost like a water stain. Not that I would agree with it but I'm trying to "guess" as to how and why they saw the book as a 5.5.

R.

Large tape pull was biggest flaw along with loss of gloss. With this getting a 5.5 (NICE!), how many points would these defects knock off a book?

Just curious. I've got nice-looking books (good eye appeal) but have tape pull or perhaps a small hole.

Would like to see graders notes on this one!

Thanks. for ever and ever- I have never heard that Latin phrase before. Good thing for google!

secula seculorum

Actually I think a more literal translation would be "from this age and into the ages" as people did not develop the concept of forever until more recent times.

Sound like nit picking until you try to translate something and then it makes all the difference in the world as far as the meaning goes....I think people have just come to accept the two as being the same when in fact they are not.

BTW, congrats on the FF #1. I had mine in the grading forum as well and it got a 5.5 about 2 weeks ago.

(thumbs u

I think the biblical writers had this concept down. Somewhere in Ecclesiastes, the writer (Solomon?), besides dealing in some serious blues, speaks of how God has placed eternity (forever) into each human heart...and some theologians take this to mean when we long for something out there, it's because of this, that's the way we were designed, so to speak ("Death is not the End" as Bob Dylan put it on his 1988 album "Down in the Groove").