• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why don't SA reprints get more love?

10 posts in this topic

Stuff like Fantasy Masterpieces, Marvel Collectors Item Classics, Marvel Tales, etc...

I was reading my copy of Marvel Tales 7 the other night which reprints Spidey 10 and it struck me that it was printed only 3 years after the original Spidey 10. It also reprints JIM 89, TTA 52, & ST 105. Yet, it's only worth about $13.50 (in 7.0 condition which is what mine is in), while a copy of ASM 10 in the same condition is worth around $575 according to Overstreet.

I'm not at all suggesting they should be valued the same or even close, but the MT 7 is still a SA book and all these SA reprints contain some great stories from comics that were published just a couple years earlier. Why such a huge price difference? Why no love for the SA reprints?

I also love Marvel Tales and Collectors Item Classics. Indeed, Marvel Tales #1 is the coolest reprint book of them all, retelling AF15, Hulk 1, JIM 83, TOS 39, TOS 49, and Sgt. Fury 1. Added bonus: b&w photos of the entire Marvel bullpen. To top it off, it is exceedingly tough to find in high grade, with only 4 copies at 9.4 and above (1 in 9.6). With all the makings of a great comic and collectible both, it's one of my most favorite SA Marvels.

MT1.jpg

Thanks for posting. MT 1 is one of my favorites as well. Here's a few I've got out on my desk to read this week. This one's not in that great of shape and I know the cover isn't all that exciting, but it still has some pretty good stories.

marveltales4.jpg

I could not agree more. For some reason I have always had great affection for MT and MCIC. Mainly because of the material/format. I also love the boxed covers and colors of the backgrounds on many issues. And finding a HG copy is as much fun as I have had as a collector, they are so darn Marvely to a tee.

While obviously not originals they are darn close and to me that holds a certain "wow" factor. I know many do not even consider thes real titles and that they will never really be collectible for anything other then nostalgie, but I say that these people just don't get it!

I can only imagine being a kid back in the day, having a limited amount of money to spend on comics and seeing these reprints hit the stands, soo many firsts, origins and classics all reprinted a mere year or two removed from when they first came out?

:takeit:

Now I have to go dig out my stack and see what holes I need to fill,and try to not get stuck reading a dozen copies or so, thanks a lot Alec

:makepoint:

I hear you Kenny about the wow factor--only I'd offer the Marvel Golden Record Reprints. Only a year or two difference, and with these you're getting nearly the same cover as well. After all, how many newb eBayers have been suckered into paying for a 1st print and are actually buying a GRR? I can't believe it's not butter... er, you get the idea :grin:

I could not agree more. For some reason I have always had great affection for MT and MCIC. Mainly because of the material/format. I also love the boxed covers and colors of the backgrounds on many issues. And finding a HG copy is as much fun as I have had as a collector, they are so darn Marvely to a tee.

While obviously not originals they are darn close and to me that holds a certain "wow" factor. I know many do not even consider thes real titles and that they will never really be collectible for anything other then nostalgie, but I say that these people just don't get it!

I can only imagine being a kid back in the day, having a limited amount of money to spend on comics and seeing these reprints hit the stands, soo many firsts, origins and classics all reprinted a mere year or two removed from when they first came out?

:takeit:

Now I have to go dig out my stack and see what holes I need to fill,and try to not get stuck reading a dozen copies or so, thanks a lot Alec

:makepoint:

This was definitely one reason why I liked the DC 100 pagers and the Superman Family comics back as a kid - I loved the reprint stories. In those days, for me at least, it was the only way to know what happened in earlier issues.

BTW, some of the reprint issues posted in this thread are very nice. I definitely think Marvel did a good job with those - back in the day.

I could not agree more. For some reason I have always had great affection for MT and MCIC. Mainly because of the material/format....

I like these issues, too. It's hard to believe that a MCIC/MGC or MT was only five or six years divorced from the classic early issues in 1970, but it might as well have been a lifetime. Without comic book stores, conventions or eBay, you read and traded for what your friends had and were occasionally lucky to find 'old' issues as the local Smoke Shop. These reprint books allowed you to see the covers of and read the contents of books that seemed unobtainable ... they had a magic.