• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,116 posts in this topic

While digging through the ol' Photobucket account, I came across this poster design I roughed up from a photo shoot I did with a pal of mine last year (obviously this in no way an official DC design; just fan art):

c2a90538.jpg

I was inspired to pick up my pencil for the first time in years when reading the Dynamic 8 thread in Gold last week. It's not a cover recreation, really...I just drew the guy holding the candle. Haven't yet decided if I'm going to ink it yet (or color it), but I drew it on watercolor paper, so I still have the option if I get brave. It's not perfect, but I guess it could be worse.

Dynamic8resized.jpg

Just had to share this. It's making the rounds on the internet.

This is a drawing, not a photograph.

This is from Diego Fazio, a 22 year old self-taught artist living in Italy. He began his career designing tattoos and perfected his photorealism technique over a period of several years.

enhanced-buzz-wide-14406-1350937123-5.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-16306-1350937161-6.jpg

Someone suggest some covers for me to recreate. The only thing I will not be doing are titles or letterings. I am in dire need of practice since it has been years. I will choose the one I like the best and try to post it with in a week. Thank you!!!!!

Batman #232.

Just had to share this. It's making the rounds on the internet.

This is a drawing, not a photograph.

This is from Diego Fazio, a 22 year old self-taught artist living in Italy. He began his career designing tattoos and perfected his photorealism technique over a period of several years.

enhanced-buzz-wide-14406-1350937123-5.jpg

enhanced-buzz-wide-16306-1350937161-6.jpg

Personally, I think this type of work is neat but in the end all I can think is wouldn't it take less time to just take a photograph?

Ya. I had a hard time believing that top one was NOT a photo, its just that good....... but what is the point ? I wonder if he is looking at a photo to do his work :grin:

Ya. I had a hard time believing that top one was NOT a photo, its just that good....... but what is the point ? I wonder if he is looking at a photo to do his work :grin:

I'm curious about that too.

On one level, other artists may view him as nothing more than a human dot matrix printer, but his work is still amazing.

I'm curious about that too.

On one level, other artists may view him as nothing more than a human dot matrix printer, but his work is still amazing.

I can't see how he could make any $$ at this. The amount of time it would take him to do one, would kill the buyers pocketbook and no magazine editor would shell out for a front cover from him instead of a photo. Unless maybe they were doing a feature on the artist. No doubt he is getting noticed and will probably be working for Disney before long (thumbs u

Personally, I think this type of work is neat but in the end all I can think is wouldn't it take less time to just take a photograph?

I'm sure some artists find that exact recreations are challenging and technical - it's probably a left-brain dominant thing. I decided long ago that drawing or creating something realistic or exacting just wasn't as fun as letting loose and being creative in your style and interpretation.

I think his method of creation is as follows:

1. take a photo of subject

2. use an overhead projector to project the image larger onto working surface.

3. Lightly trace/ draw the image to the working surface

4. fill in / finish the drawing referencing the photo for details.

I'm sure some artists find that exact recreations are challenging and technical - it's probably a left-brain dominant thing. I decided long ago that drawing or creating something realistic or exacting just wasn't as fun as letting loose and being creative in your style and interpretation.

That's what I prefer as well. Even an artist like Neal Adams who has used a ton of photo ref still manages to make it in his style and give life to the work. I respect the technique of that other artist because I know from experience how tedious that type of work can be...it's just not my cup of tea.

Ent I doodled (ball point pen) on a post-it at work.

Scanned/enlarged and daubbed in photoshop.

Would that happen to be Swamp Thing or a relative ? (thumbs u