• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show us your personal artwork
13 13

5,116 posts in this topic

I think his method of creation is as follows:

1. take a photo of subject

2. use an overhead projector to project the image larger onto working surface.

3. Lightly trace/ draw the image to the working surface

4. fill in / finish the drawing referencing the photo for details.

That sounds about right to me BUT the inner features (eyes-nose-lips) look too perfect!

I'm very impressed to say the least...

That sounds about right to me BUT the inner features (eyes-nose-lips) look too perfect!

It's definitely impressive. It takes a lot of discipline to do an illustration that large with such fine detail.

It's definitely impressive. It takes a lot of discipline to do an illustration that large with such fine detail.

bear in mind that we are looking at a small photo of the drawing. I guarantee if you were up close and personal looking at the drawing you could see that it was drawn.

bear in mind that we are looking at a small photo of the drawing. I guarantee if you were up close and personal looking at the drawing you could see that it was drawn.

Oh yeah, absolutely. Stuff looks amazing when it's reduced in size. I was more saying that it's impressive to spend that kind of detail on something that size. I've done my fair share of pointilism and cross hatching on illustrations to know that I just don't have the time or focus to spend hours poring over fine details like that. But I admire people who do that in their work for sure.

I had a stack of 11x14 bristol in my apartment and decided to sketch out some of my favorite characters. Go easy on me guys/gals, this is my first time actually attempting to draw characters from reference w/out tracing. All of these were penciled first, then inked and colored. I used copics on some and prisma markers on others.

All of these are 11x14 in size. I may touch a few up. Some of them are gifts for friends (who also happen to like these characters.) When signing them, I did/will give credit to the original artist of the image that gave me the inspiration / reference.

Thanos (for my brother)

41C75821-71A3-4E9E-9CAE-7399195BA4A1-60407-00001027BD99A69E.jpg

Boba Fett

96292C64-ED9D-4D73-A9F4-80622FBFA209-60407-00001027B73C1B2D.jpg

Galactus

D89B27B8-B0FF-44FA-976C-D676756FE308-60407-00001027C256EFF3.jpg

Agent Chu - for a co-worker

D36CA6FB-9629-4A91-96FE-FA0FF580243D-60407-00001027C7FE78A8.jpg

70s Batman

8FF5494C-8D4E-4049-96C2-CB8AC1FF4153-60407-00001027CCCA4740.jpg

Nice stuff in here, guys.

Here's some stuff I've been dabbling with. Click the thumbs if you want to see it with big-ness.

I just added all of these to my signature earlier today, but here they are with some descriptions/explanations.

Anne Hathaway as Catwoman - I used an Empire magazine cover as the reference. I tried to do this more as an impressionist painting (but with Copics) rather than a traditional comic line drawing.

th_cat1.png

A page from Secret Avengers #15. This was the first thing I put on a comic art board.

th_sa.jpg

Catwoman sketch on a Batman #0 blank. I'm not happy with this one, but I've learned to put everything out into the world, warts and all. Eventually someone will be able to articulate what's wrong with it and it can be a lesson for next time.

th_cat0.jpg

Homage to Frank Miller's Daredevil #191 splashpage:

th_DD191.png

A Batman #0 sketch cover I gave away in the Pay It Forward thread:

th_bat0.png

Decided to start a cover re-creation. Picked my favorite Marvel Cover - FF 49. Put about 2 hours into so far. Just pencils at the moment. The reflection makes parts look inked. I'll have to spend a few nights on this one. No rush. Happy with it thus far.

11x14 Bristol. Actual cover is really close to the exact issue size. Using a copy I own as visual reference.

5B5C4CB4-B2E2-4536-A276-96DAAC05DFE6-71352-0000132726AEFE04.jpg

Edited by Mangbus

Ya. I had a hard time believing that top one was NOT a photo, its just that good....... but what is the point ? I wonder if he is looking at a photo to do his work :grin:

I'm curious about that too.

On one level, other artists may view him as nothing more than a human dot matrix printer, but his work is still amazing.

I can't see how he could make any $$ at this. The amount of time it would take him to do one, would kill the buyers pocketbook and no magazine editor would shell out for a front cover from him instead of a photo. Unless maybe they were doing a feature on the artist. No doubt he is getting noticed and will probably be working for Disney before long (thumbs u

If he makes a name for himself he'll only have to do about one a year. This is a realistic price for this piece

http://www.limageriegallery.com/Mark_Ryden_Little_Boy_With_Skull_Original_Painting_p/rydenm114.htm

And then factor in the sales of prints matching that total. Six figures, one piece of art.

Awhile back, the production company doing the new Fox series The Following with Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy contacted me about using a print of my Edgar Allan Poe portrait on the set of the show (the killer is an artist obsessed with the works of Edgar Allan Poe):

6164257746_704403e36e.jpg

As we were watching X-Factor the other night, a commercial for the show came on, and lo-and-behold, there's my piece - sitting on the killer's fireplace mantle!

8138451479_a7f83b77c7_c.jpg

I was pretty stoked - especially since I was worried it would just be lost in the background of the set, but it wound up being front and center! :headbang:

It got a couple seconds exposure on the commercial, so I will be interested in seeing how they approach the mantle in the actual show.