• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I call this my "Wolverton Weird Tales of the Future Hat Trick"

62 posts in this topic

I like #2, but it is possibly my least favorite of them all, if that is possible for me as I love Wolverton. I had a chance on a 4.5 copy last year but passed in the hopes of finding a tighter copy. That one will come along one of these years.

:wishluck:

Yeesh I hope this thread dies soon I just about went and picked some of these up from metropolis. Barely came to my senses in time!

Congrats again on the amazing books.

I like #2, but it is possibly my least favorite of them all, if that is possible for me as I love Wolverton. I had a chance on a 4.5 copy last year but passed in the hopes of finding a tighter copy. That one will come along one of these years.

Yeesh I hope this thread dies soon I just about went and picked some of these up from metropolis. Barely came to my senses in time!

Thanks.....but the creepiness of Wolverton will NEVER DIE!!!! :devil:

Thanks.....but the creepiness of Wolverton will NEVER DIE!!!! :devil:

Speaking of Wolverton, has anyone ever seen the notorious Mister Mystery 12 cover attributed to him instead of Baily?

A conversation from elsewhere and a small image for reference.

Jack

>> As for Mister Mystery, I'm also attaching an example of his title featuring

>> a cover that is one of the most infamous in comics history. It's usually

>> credited to Bernard Baily, but in Mike Esposito's book, he seems to ascribe

>> it to Basil Wolverton. Cover dated July, 1953.

>

>I've never seen the Wolverton attribution!

>Not impossible, looking at it (which is hard for me to do)

>

>Jack

Here's what Mike Esposito says in his book:

"In fact one book Basil Wolverton did the cover and this cover was so famous for being ugly, it was against all the codes with someone's eye having a needle going through it, and was unbelievably out of line with everything else that we ever published."

Now, he's talking about the period after his partners in the company had bought him out, so he no longer had any control over the titles. He says in a previous paragraph that Wolverton never worked for him. The description of the cover that he gives is not quite what is on the Mister Mystery cover, but it's the only MM cover similar to what he describes. Maybe he just assumed that it was by Wolverton because of its grotesque nature. Or maybe he was told by someone at the company (he was still working for them) that Wolverton did it. Who knows?

Jack

62260--1.jpg

The drops of sweat on the cover of MM 12 remind me more of Palais than Wolverton. However, Wolverton was pretty good at drawing eyeballs (see below). I admire his stories (thanks for posting) but wish he hadn't wasted his talent on drawing ugly characters.

bb

1834148275_a9f99fcaaf_b.jpg

The drops of sweat on the cover of MM 12 remind me more of Palais than Wolverton. However, Wolverton was pretty good at drawing eyeballs (see below). ...

Who's most likely to have the beads of sweat defy gravity? (They're supposed to flow DOWN!)

It's a detail that always bugs me. Do you think the cover drawing was cropped and turned, maybe at the request of an editor?

I still prefer the Baily attribution. Maybe the Esposito quotation is about another drawing, or he remembered wrong after so many years.

Jack

However, Wolverton was pretty good at drawing eyeballs (see below). I admire his stories (thanks for posting) but wish he hadn't wasted his talent on drawing ugly characters.

But I'm so glad he did! :cloud9:

"In fact one book Basil Wolverton did the cover and this cover was so famous for being ugly, it was against all the codes with someone's eye having a needle going through it, and was unbelievably out of line with everything else that we ever published."

Sounds like Weird Chills # 2 could be a candidate. Same publisher.I don't think either is by Basil though, IMHO. hm

62262-wchills2.jpg.bde2b8ccf4f0593b131240ccd9462455.jpg

there's no way either of those are basil.

I think #12 is Baily too

MM 12 and WC 2 are definitely Bailey and definitely not Wolverton. Could be crossed wires in the memory bank given that the events in question happened 55 years ago and were unlikely to be thought of "historic" at the time.

Had to change this thread as I have aquired my fourth high grade WTOF issue.......here is number 2.....thanks to Andy for working out a trade deal with me. This one is going to CGC very soon. Love me some Wolverton folks.

Heck, I am still using Andy's scan.....I need to make my own too! hm

Scott

WeirdTalesOfTheFuture2.jpg

Had to change this thread as I have aquired my fourth high grade WTOF issue.......here is number 2.....thanks to Andy for working out a trade deal with me. This one is going to CGC very soon. Love me some Wolverton folks.

Scott

One of my all-time favorites (worship)

Scott

Could be Wolverton's best cover EVER

Congrats Scott!!! If you ever upgrade, well... you know where I am! :shy:

I think I like the Target 7 cover almost as much as WTOTF. What is your favorite story?

I like some of his Spacehawk stories a lot but the Brain Bats story is pretty bizarre and should be first or second.

bb

2906610396_b437bfeb43_o.jpg

2906610550_0acc33fd8b_o.jpg

Scans from goldenagecomics.uk

Nice, nice book - congrats!! :headbang:

I think I like the Target 7 cover almost as much as WTOTF. What is your favorite story?

I like some of his Spacehawk stories a lot but the Brain Bats story is pretty bizarre and should be first or second.

bb

Brain Bats from Mister Mystery 7 would be my favorite Wolverton. I don't own that issue....yet. My second choice would be "The Man from the Moon" in WTOF 5. Got that one though.

Thanks to everyone for the props. The copy is truly sweet.

Scott

bb

My...Brain-Bat...demands.........the...rest...of...the.......story............!