• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading and restoration questions

15 posts in this topic

I posted this on Ask CGC. In case I didn't get a response I thought I'd ask here as well....

1. Does CGC consider deacidification restoration? If so, how is something like this detected?

2. On a graded comic that has a higher grade than 3.0 or 3.5 (Can't remember what the cutoff point is for acceptance) BUT has a replaced staple, does that comic get A: A restored grade, B: A Qualified grade, or C: Is the staple replacement not mentioned?

Brent

I believe replaced staples quality as restoration UNLESS the staples are from the same era as the original book.

Why would it matter? Replacing staples is replacing staples. Unless of course you're implying that these staples would not be detected......

Jim

I believe replaced staples quality as restoration UNLESS the staples are from the same era as the original book.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why would it matter? Replacing staples is replacing staples. Unless of course you're implying that these staples would not be detected......

Probably because in Overstreet's Grading Guide printed over ten years ago, they stated that "Any staple can be replaced on books up to FN, but only vintage staples to VF to NM. Mint books must have original staples".

Never made any sense back then, and still doesn't now.

I recently got back from CGC a 1950's comic that was graded as a CGC Qualified 4.5 with the notation "Staples Replaced".

The Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide that came out earlier this year (Jan 2003) states:

"Any staple can be replaced on books up to Fine, but only vintage staples can be used on books from Very Fine to Near Mint. Mint books must have original staples."

The above came directly from page 224 under the "Staples" section in the description of Fine (6.0). It also appears in the "Staples" section on the pages for grades 5.0 to 9.0. The lower and higher grade descriptions do not address the issue of staple replacement.

CGC must use different criteria. (Don't know if the staples used in my book were "new" or "vintage", but since it was a 4.5, it doesn't matter if Overstreet criteria is used.)

Knocking an otherwise 9.4 book down to 6.0 just for replaced staples using that Overstreet criterion sounds awfully harsh...they contribute so little to the aesthetics. I can't figure why neither Overstreet nor CGC don't just define it as restoration, or more appropriately, conservation, because that's what it is.

Knocking an otherwise 9.4 book down to 6.0 just for replaced staples using that Overstreet criterion sounds awfully harsh...they contribute so little to the aesthetics. I can't figure why neither Overstreet nor CGC don't just define it as restoration, or more appropriately, conservation, because that's what it is.

Agreed. This is way too harsh.

If I trusted my ability to accurately and safely replace a bad staple I would like to test this theory on an expendable NM 9.4 comic.

I find it hard to believe CGC or anyone would give a FN 6.0 or FN+ 6.5 grade to an overwise high grade book just because of a replaced staple.

I'd agree from an aesthetic standpoint... but from a 'purist' standpoint, a replaced staple is adding something to the book that wasn't there originally. Even if the staple in question is 'vintage' (has someone cornered the market on vintage staples yet?), it's not the original.

So ultimately, I'd consider this restoration, not preservation. Sure, you're preserving the book by using a new staple, but effectively you've restored the book, since before you put the new staple in, it was missing a staple.

Maybe a better way of looking at it would be, if you *knew* that the book in question had a replaced staple, how much less would it be worth in your eyes, than a copy in similar shape containing the original staples...?

If you had a book that would be graded 9.4 and replaced the staples, my understanding is that CGC would grade the book as a Qualified (Green Label) 9.4 with "staples replaced" noted on the label.

From the CGC site that describes grading:

"Qualified (green) — A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description. For example, it is would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG, so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of "VF/NM 9.0, back cover 4-inch tear."

If you had a book that would be graded 9.4 and replaced the staples, my understanding is that CGC would grade the book as a Qualified (Green Label) 9.4 with "staples replaced" noted on the label.

From the CGC site that describes grading:

"Qualified (green) — A Qualified label is used by CGC for certified books that have a significant defect that needs specific description. For example, it is would be a disservice to the seller and buyer to call a VF/NM book with a 4-inch back cover tear a VG, so CGC will give this book a Qualified grade of "VF/NM 9.0, back cover 4-inch tear."

So, I could spill a can of paint all over my NM copy of Action #1 and still call it a QUALIFIED NM (with paint spillage)?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, I could spill a can of paint all over my NM copy of Action #1 and still call it a QUALIFIED NM (with paint spillage)?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wouldn't that depend on whether or not the paint is vintage?

So ultimately, I'd consider this restoration, not preservation. Sure, you're preserving the book by using a new staple, but effectively you've restored the book, since before you put the new staple in, it was missing a staple.

So how do you conserve a book with extremely rusty staples?

So how do you conserve a book with extremely rusty staples?

Uh, you replace the staples, submit the book to CGC and 'conserve' it in the beautiful purple (or green) case in which it returns months later...?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wouldn't that depend on whether or not the paint is vintage?

Forget about the paint for a minute... why not just submit an empty package to CGC and look forward to the empty slab w/green label reading "Action #1 - QUALIFIED: Cover, Pages Missing." acclaim.gif