• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ART DAY! Historic EC Cover!

8 posts in this topic

I won this on Ebay last week, immediately opting for the BIN price . . .

Al Feldstein's first-ever art job for EC comics was for a proposed teenage book entitled, GOING STEADY WITH PEGGY.

Al had penciled the cover and created a logo for the book. The comic was aborted in the pencil stage (a penciled story also exists) as the teenage market had just collapsed.

Al suggested to Bill Gaines that he would be prepared to tear-up their contract if he could be given alternative work for the other EC titles. Bill Gaines readily agreed and Al quickly became the driving force for steering the EC ship towards the glories to come . . .

The original artwork exists as a penciled cover, with an inked logo created on a separate piece of artboard. Currently, my friend Lloyd Braddy is planning to unite the cover with a print of the logo (which will be dry-mounted onto the pencil art).

What you see here is how the completed cover will look.

hvto35.jpg

What a great cover and congrats on the pickup! That cover was featured in an interview with Feldstein in I believe the Tales of Terror EC Companion book. He joked about how the "headlight" look was all the rage at the time. Quite an interesting piece!

-Bob

Very clean and detailed pencil work by Feldstein! :applause: