• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Wanna get Married!
19 19

1,098 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Frisco Larson said:

I am SO glad that this all came together for you Kevin!!! Kenny is a GREAT guy and an absolute WIZARD at what he does!!! The book looks amazing and I'm sure it's the cornerstone of your collection now!!! Congratulations on an awesome journey into comic book completion!!! I've been able to complete MANY books over the years and it's always been a satisfying result!!! Enjoy your book my man!!!  :applause:

Thanks Jim - you are the one who got me started down this path after all! 

It brings an entire new dimension to collecting.  As if I needed to be sucked in further! :$

11 hours ago, KCOComics said:

Thanks Jim - you are the one who got me started down this path after all! 

It brings an entire new dimension to collecting.  As if I needed to be sucked in further! :$

Well you're very welcome my friend! I'm glad the results came out so spectacularly and that the process was worth embarking on! I know what you mean about being sucked in further .... now I'm collecting copies from other countries and having a BLAST doing it!!! There are SO many ways to collect comics!!!! 

Hi another box of coverless mostly alphabetical looking to marry a few either mine or yours , trades preferred  see my previous postings for “A -C” 

classic illustrated 18 c, the story of Jesus nfc, # 25 c, 45 centerfold

clue comics #14. Vol 2 #2 c 3 outer wraps missing

combat 4 logo gone 3/4 cover

combat kelly 11c, 12 c,7 c

comic capers 5 c

comedy comics (funny animals)13 2 cfo covers a nice fair , #20 c missing 2 outer wraps, 32 missing pages has cover  ,14 cf only

comedy comics #5 cfo ow complete cover good

Comic album #2 c

comic capers 4 cfo x2

comics on parade vol 5 #8 c, 22 outer wrap m, 23 c,78 c,, 6 just centerfold, 12.Just the centerfold, 8 has covers cfo, 28 fco,29 pages missing

contact comics 9 c pgs missing 

co co 2 c missing one page  , #9 cover only , 2 has covers incomplete, 10 c inc,16c, 8 c, #1 c,24 c inc, 30 c, 40 c,

cowboy western 21 fco, 27 cover wrap only, 65 2 copies c

comic cavalcade 3 c, 17 c inc , 11 missing front cover ow complete,9 c, 28 c 26 c

Bought a group of comics - has these coverless books.

If you are interested in any/all let me know. We can work out a deal.

Adventure Comics    168        missing cover/wraps
Adventure Comics    169        coverless
Adventure Comics    173        Clipped title
Adventure Comics    209        coverless
Adventure Comics    210        coverless
Batman    67        coverless
Batman    76        coverless
Leading Comics    10        coverless
Superboy    18        coverless
Superboy    61        coverless
Superman    64        coverless
superman    66        coverless
Superman    78        coverless
Superman    84        coverless
Superman    87        coverless
Superman    93        coverless
Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen    7        coverless
Wonder Woman    41        missing cover/wraps
World's Finest Comics    91        coverless

Hello everyone

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I wanted everyone's input on this conversation I was having a conversation with a fellow comic book parts collector. Do you guys foresee more collectors going the route of piecing books together as prices continue to climb and most collectors can't afford certain books. I for one started collecting parts about a year ago and I can't begin to describe how amazing it feels to buy an incomplete book and finding the missing page or wraps to bring back the book back to it's complete state.

4 minutes ago, Miamiknight3434 said:

Hello everyone

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I wanted everyone's input on this conversation I was having a conversation with a fellow comic book parts collector. Do you guys foresee more collectors going the route of piecing books together as prices continue to climb and most collectors can't afford certain books. I for one started collecting parts about a year ago and I can't begin to describe how amazing it feels to buy an incomplete book and finding the missing page or wraps to bring back the book back to it's complete state.

I hope that it does. It certainly feels like to me that I am reassembling comics that are a part of our history and culture. I do wish that the qualified label and notation “married pages” did not carry such a stigma. Maybe if more people assemble more books that can also decrease.

6 minutes ago, ender said:

I hope that it does. It certainly feels like to me that I am reassembling comics that are a part of our history and culture. I do wish that the qualified label and notation “married pages” did not carry such a stigma. Maybe if more people assemble more books that can also decrease.

I feel that there are a lot of us out there quietly buying up parts. I truly think it will become much bigger than what it is right now. Well I hope it does. imagine going to local comic book gathering and you see table the reads comic book parts for sale and trade lol 

I also agree that the green label stigma doesn't help but I feel as time goes by these books ( Golden age ) will become harder and harder to find.

2 hours ago, Miamiknight3434 said:

I feel that there are a lot of us out there quietly buying up parts. I truly think it will become much bigger than what it is right now. Well I hope it does. imagine going to local comic book gathering and you see table the reads comic book parts for sale and trade lol 

I also agree that the green label stigma doesn't help but I feel as time goes by these books ( Golden age ) will become harder and harder to find.

I'm pretty new to the parts game. I've been doing it for about a year. 

Like you, I really enjoy bringing comics back to life. I'm not sure what the future is, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it pick up steam with collectors. 

So, a bit of a technical question.  Once you have the parts to complete a book, how do you best marry them together?  I have an otherwise complete Mad #17 with a large, ugly chunk out of the cover.  @Raze generously gave me an incomplete copy he bought online and was told to keep by the seller when it turned out to be missing pages.  So, this is pretty much upgrading the eye appeal on a reader copy in the first place.

Right now, given than the intact cover copy is missing pages from the middle four wraps, my best bet is to pull those wraps from my damaged cover copy and place them in the intact cover copy.  I'm wondering if there are any hints for getting the pages to align correctly if I put them through the staples, or if I'm better off sticking with just laying the pages in loose.  The centerfold itself is still complete and attached in the intact cover copy; I may be able to use that to line up the staples better on that page after replacing the other three wraps.  Page quality is similar on both books.

I guess, more generally, this is me asking:  Any hints on marrying the books once you get the pieces assembled?

Mad_017.jpg

2133371718_Scan2020-10-1523_37_23.jpg.475ebdfca3360894bc259cda14ef985a.jpg

@OtherEric Why don't you have them date for a little while before they get married?

Seriously, I would think that exchanging the covers would be the right move - preserves the integrity of the interior as being complete, keeping the centerfold etc. attached, and just adding a cover. That would also mean less to line up, and covers have been known not to line up perfectly anyway.

Edited by Qua-Brot

10 hours ago, OtherEric said:

So, a bit of a technical question.  Once you have the parts to complete a book, how do you best marry them together?  I have an otherwise complete Mad #17 with a large, ugly chunk out of the cover.  @Raze generously gave me an incomplete copy he bought online and was told to keep by the seller when it turned out to be missing pages.  So, this is pretty much upgrading the eye appeal on a reader copy in the first place.

Right now, given than the intact cover copy is missing pages from the middle four wraps, my best bet is to pull those wraps from my damaged cover copy and place them in the intact cover copy.  I'm wondering if there are any hints for getting the pages to align correctly if I put them through the staples, or if I'm better off sticking with just laying the pages in loose.  The centerfold itself is still complete and attached in the intact cover copy; I may be able to use that to line up the staples better on that page after replacing the other three wraps.  Page quality is similar on both books.

I guess, more generally, this is me asking:  Any hints on marrying the books once you get the pieces assembled?

Mad_017.jpg

2133371718_Scan2020-10-1523_37_23.jpg.475ebdfca3360894bc259cda14ef985a.jpg

Staple alignment on different copies is an issue. 

If it's a reader, I would just place the pages together loosely. 

When I looked closely, the staples were nearly perfectly aligned on both of the Mad #17's.  So I pulled the 4 center wraps from the damaged cover copy and put them in the intact cover copy.  It actually came together as a complete book better than I had hoped.

Which leads to the next point: if anybody needs parts from a Mad #17 with a damaged cover and the 5th, 6th, and 7th wraps incomplete; let me know and I'll pass them on.