• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are there any keys from 2000 and up? this decade? NONE?

138 posts in this topic

How about What if? Planet Hulk, first appearance of son of Hulk, could not only be a key but great cover art.

I wrote and asked CGC what the they are considering as the first appearance of Skaar and they wrote back.

What If? Planet Hulk #1 is noted as 1st appearance of Skaar cameo .

World War Hulk #5 is noted as 1st full appearance of Skaar.

So if by some chance Skaar actually gets popular what issue do you think is going to be the one more sough after.

I think people are confusing "keys" with popular characters. The two usually go hand in hand but people c'mon, Deadpool 54 & 55? What If Planet Hulk?? Are you people insane or do you not venture outside of these protective walls?

Use common sense here and look at what makes a key...you know a KEY. Amazing Fantasy #15, key. Why? Spidey's an icon, a legend in the industry, he's been around for decades and he's earned that reputation.

Hulk 181, birth of a new icon, a "key" moment in Marvel history. Wolverine has gone on to represent Marvel in ways they themselves never possibly imagined.

What makes a key is what it represents a "key" moment in comic history. To even remotely suggest that...ugh Fables, Kick and Thunderbolts as "keys" are insulting and laughable. They aren't keys, they may be worth above face value, but they aren't "keys".

A key impacts the comic scene as a whole, it represents a moment when a character, a scene, a universe is rocked by this one moment and becomes a permanent fixture.

While I'm sure there's plenty of fans for moderns, it's not going to happen this decade for keys to suddenly emerge. Characters, moments, "key" instances take time to develop, something that simply doesn't happen anymore.

LIKELY keys to come are as some suggested New Mutants 98, UXM 266 and New Mutants 87. Three characters that have been around for years, three characters that have for the most part, escaped the general eye of the speculator until they'll be cased and primed and the values sink like a rock. Time and development will tell if these hold out. If I apply the same theory, then ASM 300, USM 1, Walking Dead 1 can all be consider a "key".

Anyone can say any moment is a "key" to them. Whether it was when Logan found out he had a son, to Hulk losing WWH (dur!) to Steve Rogers kicking the bucket. Great moments sure, but a "key"? GTF outta here!

Don't insult comic history, we know when a key hits, and we haven't seen one in a very long time. Don't confuse keys comics with "keys" that is a comic book that's has something so stupid and trivial that people jump on it raising the value overnight (...). That's not a key, that's speculation. Get it right.

Originally Posted By: fastfwd
How about What if? Planet Hulk, first appearance of son of Hulk, could not only be a key but great cover art.

I wrote and asked CGC what the they are considering as the first appearance of Skaar and they wrote back.

What If? Planet Hulk #1 is noted as 1st appearance of Skaar cameo .

World War Hulk #5 is noted as 1st full appearance of Skaar.

So if by some chance Skaar actually gets popular what issue do you think is going to be the one more sough after.

*sigh*, exactly what I'm talking about. How pathetic is this? (shrug)Get both, in fact buy about 30 copies of each and hold onto them for 40 years.

If the character develops then WW Hulk 5 will be worth more but for me I like the

artwork on the What If ? Planet Hulk so I'm not so concerned about what it's worth years from now. I think any new emerging characters from 2000 on will never have the same value impact as say a Hulk 181 and ASP 129 because there will always be more high grade examples out there. I think there are no more than a dozen examples in 9.8 of ASP 129 and Hulk 181. (one in 9.9)

Thor #337 isn't really known for Beta Ray Bill.... It marked a radical change in direction for Thor.

At the time, it was literally a breath of fresh air...

Thor #337 isn't really known for Beta Ray Bill.... It marked a radical change in direction for Thor.

At the time, it was literally a breath of fresh air...

Yup, nobody really cared about Mr. Beta, but Walt's art on Thor seemed really new and fresh (and Simonson had been around for a while, but as far as I can tell he started working in a new style with 337). Back then an artists's first work on a book that had a nice run was a big deal.

Michigan, I agree with the majority of what you said.

But I disagree on Fables.

Fables is the next Sandman. It is, by far, the most underrated Modern. And it has gotten better and better. The development of Fables is similar to that of (good in the 1st arc, but not great. But increased greatly after that).

What concerns me is that a book like Sandman #1 won't be considered a key. If that isn't a key in the future, I don't know what is. Value should not be a consideration (it should be a result).

Pat

I think people are confusing "keys" with popular characters. The two usually go hand in hand but people c'mon, Deadpool 54 & 55? What If Planet Hulk?? Are you people insane or do you not venture outside of these protective walls? Use common sense here and look at what makes a key...you know a KEY. Amazing Fantasy #15, key. Why? Spidey's an icon, a legend in the industry, he's been around for decades and he's earned that reputation. Hulk 181, birth of a new icon, a "key" moment in Marvel history. Wolverine has gone on to represent Marvel in ways they themselves never possibly imagined. What makes a key is what it represents a "key" moment in comic history. To even remotely suggest that...ugh Fables, Kick *spoon* and Thunderbolts as "keys" are insulting and laughable. They aren't keys, they may be worth above face value, but they aren't "keys". A key impacts the comic scene as a whole, it represents a moment when a character, a scene, a universe is rocked by this one moment and becomes a permanent fixture. While I'm sure there's plenty of fans for moderns, it's not going to happen this decade for keys to suddenly emerge. Characters, moments, "key" instances take time to develop, something that simply doesn't happen anymore. LIKELY keys to come are as some suggested New Mutants 98, UXM 266 and New Mutants 87. Three characters that have been around for years, three characters that have for the most part, escaped the general eye of the speculator until they'll be cased and primed and the values sink like a rock. Time and development will tell if these hold out. If I apply the same theory, then ASM 300, USM 1, Walking Dead 1 can all be consider a "key".Anyone can say any moment is a "key" to them. Whether it was when Logan found out he had a son, to Hulk losing WWH (dur!) to Steve Rogers kicking the bucket. Great moments sure, but a "key"? GTF outta here! Don't insult comic history, we know when a key hits, and we haven't seen one in a very long time. Don't confuse keys comics with "keys" that is a comic book that's has something so stupid and trivial that people jump on it raising the value overnight (...). That's not a key, that's speculation. Get it right.

sigh*, exactly what I'm talking about. How pathetic is this? Get both, in fact buy about 30 copies of each and hold onto them for 40 years.

While you are certainly entitled to your opinion there is no need to go ranting on with negative statements and hostility towards the opinions of others for their thoughts of certain books which they might think to have future potential. Maybe some of these books mentioned by everyone could end worth some serious cash in the future or they could very well end up in a bagain bin for a dollar each, but who knows for sure?

The only pathetic thing I have seen though in this thread is your poor attitude towards the comments and opinions of your fellow forum members. You are absolutely correct that this thread is all in speculation, but nobody was acting like what they said was gospel.

Take care and watch out for that high blood pressure your working on.

I think people are confusing "keys" with popular characters. The two usually go hand in hand but people c'mon, Deadpool 54 & 55? What If Planet Hulk?? Are you people insane or do you not venture outside of these protective walls?

Use common sense here and look at what makes a key...you know a KEY. Amazing Fantasy #15, key. Why? Spidey's an icon, a legend in the industry, he's been around for decades and he's earned that reputation.

Hulk 181, birth of a new icon, a "key" moment in Marvel history. Wolverine has gone on to represent Marvel in ways they themselves never possibly imagined.

What makes a key is what it represents a "key" moment in comic history. To even remotely suggest that...ugh Fables, Kick and Thunderbolts as "keys" are insulting and laughable. They aren't keys, they may be worth above face value, but they aren't "keys".

A key impacts the comic scene as a whole, it represents a moment when a character, a scene, a universe is rocked by this one moment and becomes a permanent fixture.

While I'm sure there's plenty of fans for moderns, it's not going to happen this decade for keys to suddenly emerge. Characters, moments, "key" instances take time to develop, something that simply doesn't happen anymore.

LIKELY keys to come are as some suggested New Mutants 98, UXM 266 and New Mutants 87. Three characters that have been around for years, three characters that have for the most part, escaped the general eye of the speculator until they'll be cased and primed and the values sink like a rock. Time and development will tell if these hold out. If I apply the same theory, then ASM 300, USM 1, Walking Dead 1 can all be consider a "key".

Anyone can say any moment is a "key" to them. Whether it was when Logan found out he had a son, to Hulk losing WWH (dur!) to Steve Rogers kicking the bucket. Great moments sure, but a "key"? GTF outta here!

Don't insult comic history, we know when a key hits, and we haven't seen one in a very long time. Don't confuse keys comics with "keys" that is a comic book that's has something so stupid and trivial that people jump on it raising the value overnight (...). That's not a key, that's speculation. Get it right.

Odd of you to question people's opinions, and then offer the very valid point that it takes years and hindsight to tell what becomes a key.... (shrug)

Why not Fables? Compare it to Bone, TMNT.... creations that are now (or are becoming) known to the general public. That end result couldn't happen with Fables? Some time and hindsight required, of course....

ASM 1 doesn't fit well into your criteria above, btw.

Another interesting point is that, as posted above, the focus on first apps greatly intensified in the 80's. It's not impossible to see a shift in focus in the future altering the pantheon of books considered key.

Odd of you to question people's opinions, and then offer the very valid point that it takes years and hindsight to tell what becomes a key.... (shrug)

Why not Fables? Compare it to Bone, TMNT.... creations that are now (or are becoming) known to the general public. That end result couldn't happen with Fables? Some time and hindsight required, of course....

Another interesting point is that, as posted above, the focus on first apps greatly intensified in the 80's. It's not impossible to see a shift in focus in the future altering the pantheon of books considered key.

Let's not compare Fables 1 to TMNT 1 or even Bone 1. TMNT is a part of modern pop culture that has spawned multiple movies, cartoons and a hugely successful toy line. Most non-comic people know who they are and they have no idea it started as a comic book, and don't care. In addition it was an independant very low print run comic by total newcomers to the hobby. In further addition, it spawned nearly a decades worth of imitators and the comic market was completely changed as black and white independants suddenly were selling and being collected in large numbers. A massive key, by any definition.

Bone, not so much although it too was a tiny book that exploded unexpectedly and catapulted a newcomer into the stratosphere.

Fables.....a good book by established comic professionals published by a huge comic publishing corporation and it sells fairly well. Nothing more. It wil never be a part of modern pop culture, this I assure you.

Let's not compare Fables 1 to TMNT 1 or even Bone 1. TMNT is a part of modern pop culture that has spawned multiple movies, cartoons and a hugely successful toy line. Most non-comic people know who they are and they have no idea it started as a comic book, and don't care. In addition it was an independant very low print run comic by total newcomers to the hobby. In further addition, it spawned nearly a decades worth of imitators and the comic market was completely changed as black and white independants suddenly were selling and being collected in large numbers. A massive key, by any definition.

Bone, not so much although it too was a tiny book that exploded unexpectedly and catapulted a newcomer into the stratosphere.

Fables.....a good book by established comic professionals published by a huge comic publishing corporation and it sells fairly well. Nothing more. It wil never be a part of modern pop culture, this I assure you.

Never? 'A foolish consistency....'

Who'd have thunk that Hellboy would become a mainstream character with two movies under has belt? Or Bone and TMNT early on in their existences would become mainstream?

Your reply is crippled by the same logic of the initial post ... you are extrapolating into an uncertain future.

Now, I LOVE Fables. It's an amazing book. But cd4ever is right.

And I wouldn't consider any Hellboy books to be 'key' either...