• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Romance Revealed Golden Age Romance Thread

76 posts in this topic

There is a True Life Secrets #23 on ebay for $159 for a 3.0. I wonder if someone will be crazy enough to buy it....when all you have to do is look at the sellers and get a NM- one for $90.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRUE-LIFE-SECRETS-23-CGC-CLASSIC-RISQUE-Cvr-SCARCE_W0QQitemZ350091201049QQihZ022QQcategoryZ67QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Adventures02-Spectacular.jpg

It took me a number of years to find this one from St. John...

It has "China Bombshell" by Leonard Starr, a story by Bolle, and "Slave Girl" by Warren King...

Adventures 02 (1950)... Listed as "scarce" by Overstreet...

There is a copy of Spectular Adventures right now on ebay..

http://cgi.ebay.com/1950-Adventures-2-Slave-Girl-Good-Girl-Art-scarce-50_W0QQitemZ120297184168QQihZ002QQcategoryZ67QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Adventures02-Spectacular.jpg

It took me a number of years to find this one from St. John...

It has "China Bombshell" by Leonard Starr, a story by Bolle, and "Slave Girl" by Warren King...

Adventures 02 (1950)... Listed as "scarce" by Overstreet...

Her eyebrows make her look like the Sub-Mariner

I'm not sure about the ones outside of St. John. The "It's Love Love Love" I don't think is that common. I haven't seen it before in high grade. I know it was one of the last romance series of St. John before they went under. If it were a higher grade, I'd have taken it. I've seen the Pictorial Love Stories around so this one isn't uncommon.

If you've got any more St John's to sell, please post them :baiting:

A selection of 36 comics from my GA romance collection.

Is there anything scarce or rare, here?

Click to embiggen. Again to magnify.http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll115/0llll0_photo/love_golden_age/romance046.jpg' target="_blank">th_romance046.jpg

Great stuff! Several issues were missing from GCD. This one is alos missing from Gerber. Can you tell me the number? (Probably a Vol # No # book.)Thanks,Jack

Yes, I do have some more St. Johns.

However, they are not currently for sale.

Rest assured that when I sell them, they will be offered here first.

An aside:

I've run across several stories with unsigned art that are drawn in the style of Baker,

but not Baker. It can be very difficult to determine, sometimes.

David Alexander once told me that you can determine if certain comic art is unsigned

Matt Baker art because the fingertips, (not the finger nails), the fingertips are pointy.

Click to embiggen. Again to magnify.http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll115/0llll0_photo/love_golden_age/romance046.jpg' target="_blank">th_romance046.jpg

Great stuff! Several issues were missing from GCD. This one is alos missing from Gerber. Can you tell me the number? (Probably a Vol # No # book.)Thanks,Jack
Wow! I did not know that.Here's the data.ROMANTIC CONFESSIONS v.2, #12, (1953, Hillman Periodicals) VG(one inch spine split top of spine) romance046.jpgromance047.jpg I always say to myself that someday I'm going to scan all, what I belive to be,my rare and scarce War and Romance comics, and go to work on the GCD.I'll only get around to it when I sell them, as was the case with these. If you need any more information, please, don't hesitate to ask.Thanks.

Click to embiggen. Again to magnify.

Wow! I did not know that.Here's the data.ROMANTIC CONFESSIONS v.2, #12, (1953, Hillman Periodicals) VG(one inch spine split top of spine) romance046.jpg I always say to myself that someday I'm going to scan all, what I belive to be,my rare and scarce War and Romance comics, and go to work on the GCD.I'll only get around to it when I sell them, as was the case with these.
Thanks!Take a look at your/our contribution to today's covers at GCD. These books are or were for sale? CGC sales thread?Jack

These books are or were for sale? CGC sales thread?

Yup. Over here at

54 LOVE/ROMACE - 36 GA (ST. JOHN, ODDBALL MISC) 28 SA (ATLAS) llll

Of this lot, this is my favorite:

LOVERS #58, Atlas (1953) [formerly Blonde Phantom]

Jay Scott Pike cover/story art

atlas_romance049.jpg

Nice cover.

I can't view your sales thread -- it freezes my browser. Anyone else mention a problem?

Jack

I recently came into a bunch of First Love Illustrated. I know there are quite a bit of file copies floating out around but just have this quality in GA romance, I couldn't pass up. I'm going to post any open spots I can find in the GCD, since I finally figured it all out :)

This one is in the GCD but is the most infamous of the First Love Illustrated series because of the controversial "I joined a teen-age s** club." It's actually kind of a funny story where one of the characters threatens to "disinfect his mouth".

fl13un4.th.jpg

Here are some that I posted or am in the process of posting to the GCD, in case some of you haven't seen them before.

fl16ph1.th.jpg

fl24od2.th.jpg

fl25id7.th.jpg

fl30yr8.th.jpg

fl38lx9.th.jpg

fl39sg7.th.jpg

fl42kk1.th.jpg

fl48yf7.th.jpg

fl49wg9.th.jpg

I like the cover to First Love # 24. Nice green background and nice rendering on the main girl figure.

I couldn't but laugh at # 42. That theme has been used to death on the cover of the Romance books. In fact I have another Elias cover just like it in First Romance. The only difference is that my scene took place in the Winter time lol

64928.jpg.21ed6cc709f600fb944cb469e3f950bc.jpg

What about an anti-romance comic? Well it looks like a comic and smells like a comic but there are more text and photos inside than comics.

bb

2811394506_f5248898af_b.jpg

2811394952_4de52faa47_b.jpg

For a modern version, check out www.bachelorpadmagazine.net

I met the guy who puts this out at Tiki Oasis this year and he's a nice guy. Considering writing something for them.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread...