• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is getting in the way of your comic collection enjoyment?

87 posts in this topic

Right. I would never hae someone living with me for free.

Unless it's family, you're absolutely right, but it's something you almost have to go through before you finally understand.

I have no siblings. My wifes brother can kiss my :censored: . I dont and probably wont be able to buy a house and be comfortable for quite some time. So if you cant help out, I cant help you. It sounds krappy, but I just dont make the money to support another person.

Well... right now money would be the biggest hinderance from buying what I like--but who doesn't have that problem?

With regards to other comic blocks, I'd have to say space will slowly become a problem so I'm trouble-shooting some storage possibilities. There's a good chance I might be taking over the garage for my personal workspace to include comic storage (it's temperature controlled and dry), so that would help. Additionally, I'm trying to come up with some new goals since I'm nearly finished with my two+ year long goal of finishing ASM 1-328. I'm also finding that with the near-completion of my ASM run, my taste for hunting keys has returned which is pretty fun but it definitely means more saving and less buying.

About my OA collection (and I'm coming to learn it's probably not considered a real OA collection, but what can you do?-), I'm finding that I'm running out of wall space to hang my art. Additionally, the last couple pieces that I'm looking for command a much higher price than the earlier items I picked up.

And of course there are other things like teaching full-time in a high school, teaching two college classes, coaching football & wrestling at my high school, and getting ready for Mac Man Jr. (when things finally work out!) :grin: Always a challenge to enjoy my hobby as much as I'd like, but I find time!

Unless it's family, you're absolutely right, but it's something you almost have to go through before you finally understand.

Yeah... my in-laws put my wife and I up for about a month after I got out the army and moved back east. We still had a month before the house closed and since they live only a few miles from our house, they were kind enough to let us stay in the guest room and store our stuff in their basement. So, I'm expecting to have to pay it forward it at some point for a family member down the road.

Yeah... my in-laws put my wife and I up for about a month after I got out the army and moved back east. We still had a month before the house closed and since they live only a few miles from our house, they were kind enough to let us stay in the guest room and store our stuff in their basement. So, I'm expecting to have to pay it forward it at some point for a family member down the road.

Thats pretty much where we are at. Probably have to wait awhile longer to figure out what to do. May be buying a 2 family house with my parents, always been a tight knit family. Plus live in baby sitters :headbang:

It's pretty hard to turn your back on family. My wife's brother moved in a year ago and pays no rent. Blew every cent he had gambling on VLTs. Owes about 100,000 to credit cards. Worse part is, he's still gambling. I don't really mind helping him but I never know where his $$ are going, how much he really owes or how much debt he is actually paying off. When I ask him questions I'm the *salad spoon* for interfering in his life. I learned my lesson, if you need my help it's my rules.

signed ediot in edmonton

Little kids + wife = almost zero "me" time.

When I am at home, about the only time I have to flip through my books, bag and organize without little grabbing hands is after everyone else has gone to bed. By then I am so exausted I'm not really having fun.

So he's still living in your house rent-free? lol

I was referring to helping a family member out short-term, like while they're in school, between houses/apartments, etc., not to house a parasite. If he was here, that chump'd be eating with two broken arms.

It's pretty hard to turn your back on family. My wife's brother moved in a year ago and pays no rent. Blew every cent he had gambling on VLTs. Owes about 100,000 to credit cards. Worse part is, he's still gambling. I don't really mind helping him but I never know where his $$ are going, how much he really owes or how much debt he is actually paying off. When I ask him questions I'm the *salad spoon* for interfering in his life. I learned my lesson, if you need my help it's my rules.

signed ediot in edmonton

And that is why I pretty much wont "help" people. He is just living off you. He sounds like he needs meetings for gambling. And a year rent free ? WTF is he doing with his money, y'know aside from not caring how much you get to keep.

So he's still living in your house rent-free? lol

I was referring to helping a family member out short-term, like while they're in school, between houses/apartments, etc., not to house a parasite. If he was here, that chump'd be eating with two broken arms.

You are much nicer then me. He would be out... I wouldnt want my kids having that dude around as a role model.

Well... torch, might want to consider whether you and the Mrs. are helping or enabling your brother in law. I don't want to get into telling you your business but hopefully it resolves itself sooner than later. :wishluck:

Well... torch, might want to consider whether you and the Mrs. are helping or enabling your brother in law. I don't want to get into telling you your business but hopefully it resolves itself sooner than later. :wishluck:

Your such a nice guy

definitely money, but also space.

I have 2 girls living (rent free.....................) in my little apartment right now, and my once wonderful comic book room is full of that had to be moved to make room for all of their stuff. That also means that I'm afraid of leaving stacks of comics around like I used to be able to do for fear something will happen to them...

I'm sure I could word that so that it sounds more like, "being a master pimp," but sadly that is not the case at all.

are they hot? do they put out?

the reason this happened is because you changed your avatar, you know...

I am a nice guy and we all know what happens to nice guys. My big dumb mistake wasn't helping him, it was allowing him to move in and allowing him to control his finances. Like most nice/quiet guys I seldom get mad, but when I do it gets ugly. In April I blew and yelled at him for 2 hours, now I know how much he owes and I check his bank statements constantly. He absolutely knows that if I catch him gambling again his stuff will be in the garbage and the locks will be changed. Just wish I had taken control right from the start. Number one rule, anything an adict says is suspect.

I am a nice guy and we all know what happens to nice guys. My big dumb mistake wasn't helping him, it was allowing him to move in and allowing him to control his finances. Like most nice/quiet guys I seldom get mad, but when I do it gets ugly. In April I blew and yelled at him for 2 hours, now I know how much he owes and I check his bank statements constantly. He absolutely knows that if I catch him gambling again his stuff will be in the garbage and the locks will be changed. Just wish I had taken control right from the start. Number one rule, anything an adict says is suspect.

Yea, never trust a junkie. Gambling is just as addictive as liquor or dope.

I am another nice guy, but when I get mad... Well, lets pretend I dont get mad..