• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking open CGC Graded Cases to get SS's

72 posts in this topic

Best to exercise caution when cracking cases for signatures especially those special books in ultra high grade. There are some books that I own which are graded 9.8's, but nervertheless have a noticeable defect that makes me afraid to ever crack it open and resubmit, for any reason. Best to keep it slabbed.

Having said that, I have rolled the dice a few times and cracked open 9.8's for sigs. I was batting 1.000 for a good stretch until my good fortune ran out one day when I cracked open a few blue label 9.8 ASM McFarlanes for signatures only to get them back as yella-labeled 9.6's.

I guess it all comes down to what you value more: the grade or the (authenticated) signature.

I may be crazy, but I'm of the opinion that a 9.8 is nice, but not necessary when you are dealing with signatures. For one thing, putting the sig on the book alters it. I consider that a good thing because it makes the comic book more unique and more interesting to look at it. It's like the difference between a Van Gogh poster and a Van Gogh poster signed by Van Gogh.

Getting the restoration check and the authenticated signature is important, and a valuable part of the CGC service. The slab also protects the comic book, which shouldn't be overlooked.

I know as far as the comic book market is concerned, 9.8 is essential when dealing with modern books because the price gap between 9.8 and anything lower is typically huge. It presents a real conundrum because then you're forced to choose from having fewer 9.8s or a larger number of lower grades. Personally, I'm fine with the lower grades (as long as I have some 9.8s) and my bank account seems want to agree with that decision.

I should probably note that my collection, as you would guess, is focused on Stan Lee signatures, which tend to be more valuable in any grade. To me, his signature is worth much more than the grade, but then again, I'm a collector, not just looking to acquire and turn for a profit. I suffer separation anxiety every time I even think about selling one of my comic books. :)

Having said that, I have rolled the dice a few times and cracked open 9.8's for sigs. I was batting 1.000 for a good stretch until my good fortune ran out one day when I cracked open a few blue label 9.8 ASM McFarlanes for signatures only to get them back as yella-labeled 9.6's.

Hey Letsgrumnle if your not happy with your 9.6 Mcfarlanes :takeit:

Guest Grails

This is the only submission I have in which I don't know who the SS witness was. Please let me know if you are the one who witnessed this book. My friend Dave Gutierrez carried it to WonderCon 2007 while I was overseas. Whoever you are, you have my deepest appreciation! My apologies for how late this is.

IM1.jpgIM1SS.jpg

I trusted my good buddy Steve (evilash) with my first six issues of The Walking Dead in 9.8 universal to be cracked for SS, and they all came back perfect 9.8's. I think part of what you have to weigh is whether or not the witness cares or if your slab is one of 100 in a pile he's getting signed at a con. The plus side of doing this is that you aren't taking the gamble of subbing an inferior book for SS.

I trusted my good buddy Steve (evilash) with my first six issues of The Walking Dead in 9.8 universal to be cracked for SS, and they all came back perfect 9.8's. I think part of what you have to weigh is whether or not the witness cares or if your slab is one of 100 in a pile he's getting signed at a con. The plus side of doing this is that you aren't taking the gamble of subbing an inferior book for SS.
No problem George, it was my pleasure! (thumbs u

I'm glad all six remained 9.8's for you, with that pretty yellow label :cloud9:

I guess I will chime in on this subject beng that we have handled a bunch of books for alot of you. I get the question all the time weather a client should take the chance of cracking open a 9.8 and getting it signed and here are a few factors to take into consideration.

1. When the book was originally graded a 9.8, was it a soft or solid grade of 9.8? If you call CGC and ask for the grading notes for that book and find out that the book was a solid 9.8, then the odds of most witnesses (not everyone unfortunately) getting a signature on the book and it coming back a 9.8 are much much higher. But if the notes indicate it is a soft 9.8 (meaning the book was lucky to get the 9.8 grade to begin with and will probably drop if opened again), then I don't think you want to take the chance of the grade dropping.

2. WHO is signing it. Let's face it if the book is being signed by let's say Arthur Suydam, who is at ton of shows each year, versus someone like Joe Simon, who makes a rare appearance each year, then I think that has to factor into what you are willing to accept.

3. What are the price differences between a unsigned 9.8 and a signed 9.6. Case in point, a ASM #300 9.8 unsigned is worth about $800 versus a 9.6 signed by Stan Lee will get you maybe $500-$600.So in that case it is not worth it. But a ASM #252 9.8 goes for about $250 and a 9.6 signed by Stan Lee goes for about $225. So that might be worth it.

4. How many signatures are you getting? The fact is the more signatures you get, the higher the odds the grade will fall. Especially if the book has to go to multiple shows. No matter how careful a witness is, when you have artists/writers/whoever you are getting the book signed by handling the book, you never know what they may do to the book.

But in the grand scheme of things, I have handled 9.8's that have stayed 9.8's and 9.8's that have fallen to 9.6's And once in a while I have handled a 9.6 actually go UP to 9.8 even after getting it signed by two people. Go figure.

I hope this helps.

Chandler & Sharon Rice

Desert Wind Comics

CGC SS comic books would be good candidates for second rating system, which rated the quality of the signature, clarity, the placement, artistic value, etc. It would be a lot more subjective for sure, but it would break the conundrum of whether or not to crack out a 9.8.

No disrespect intended, but that is nuts. CGC grades the book and authenticates the signature. That's it. It does not conduct an artistic value evaluation. That would be impossible to administer. Why make it any more complicated than it already is? So it can take 26 weeks to get the books back?

CGC SS comic books would be good candidates for second rating system, which rated the quality of the signature, clarity, the placement, artistic value, etc. It would be a lot more subjective for sure, but it would break the conundrum of whether or not to crack out a 9.8.

:screwy:

That's unlikely to happen.

Whether or not to crack out any book for a signature (or additional signature) is ultimately a personal choice/risk.

:insane: