• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman vs. Spiderman - Who will be more popular 25 years from now?

Which characters will have more nostalgic appeal 25 years from now with today's 6 to 12 years old kids?  

129 members have voted

1. 1. Which characters will have more nostalgic appeal 25 years from now with today's 6 to 12 years old kids?

32 posts in this topic

I have been a Batman fan since 1976 but voted for Spiderman in my own poll. I just think he has the biggest appeal for kids. His movies are more kid friendly. Dark Knight is a terrifying movie for young kids, especially the burned face of Two-Face.

Bat Man will outlast Spider Man. I actually like Bat Man better than Spider Man.

I haven't voted yet...but why do you think so Doc?

Spidey is just as popular as Batman and likely has been since day one.

I think Spider-man has an advantage that Batman does not. He has red in his costume. Red and blue make a very powerful visual statement that blue and grey cannot...so the visual appeal of Spider-man's costume is probably a great source of his popularity.

I am sure that this, combined with the name and origin gives Superman his place at #1 all these years. If his costume was not designed around all 3 primary colors I don't think he'd be that popular.

R.

EDIY: btw I like Batman better too.

The spider-man movie franchise needs a 'reboot' of the quality of batman begins. Spider-man 3 was just a poor film, and more of that quality, and it's heading towards Batman and Robin territory.

Raimi needs to be left alone to make the film he wants to make.

Bat Man will outlast Spider Man. I actually like Bat Man better than Spider Man.

I think Spider-man has an advantage that Batman does not. He has red in his costume. Red and blue make a very powerful visual statement that blue and grey cannot...so the visual appeal of Spider-man's costume is probably a great source of his popularity.

I am sure that this, combined with the name and origin gives Superman his place at #1 all these years. If his costume was not designed around all 3 primary colors I don't think he'd be that popular.

R.

I just think Batman appeals more to an older crowd. If I were 16 or 18 again, I would rather take a date to see Bat Man as Spider Man. Heck, I would rather take a date to see Bat Man now as opposed to Spider Man. There is less of a geek factor. I think Bat Man appeals to more people with disposable income. I just think of all those people who don't have children. Plus, I hate Spider Man, the whiny basturd.

but isn't Captain America's costume almost the same ? primary colors and very patriotic. (shrug)

Absolutely. But he's blonde.

:kidaround:

Seriously, I don't know why Cap does not get more love. He was the longest running Timely character in his own title wasn't he? So that partially proves my point. Primary colors were at least partially responsible for his success.

Think about it though. Cap is limited to US love just because of his name. Super-man has universal appeal because he is not of this earth and can be related to by every person.

There will never again be another hero like Superman. That boat has sailed and everyone else is playing catch up.

R.

R.

I just think Batman appeals more to an older crowd. If I were 16 or 18 again, I would rather take a date to see Bat Man as Spider Man. Heck, I would rather take a date to see Bat Man now as opposed to Spider Man. There is less of a geek factor. I think Bat Man appeals to more people with disposable income. I just think of all those people who don't have children. Plus, I hate Spider Man the whiny basturd.

Doc, I agree 100%. I love Batman for the dark story lines. Unfotunately you can't stay dark forever and Spidey to me has always been light and easy on the mind if that makes sense. Kind of like night and day literally.

R.

Bat Man isn't supposed to be light. He is a detective. He is constantly surrounded by mystery. I guess that is the biggest draw for me. I love mysteries, murder and mayhem. Spider Man is just, well, fluff. Spider Man has a window of appeal from say age five to twelve, maybe thirteen. Bat Man can carry on well into adulthood. I could stand to be Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker not so much.

Spider Man by far, people went to see Spider-man because of Spider-man. people did not go to see the Dark Knight because of Batman. they went to see the Dark Knight because Heath Ledger died.everybody wanted to see him as the Joker.the next Spider-man will be higher grossing then the next Batman because of no Heath Ledger.

Spider Man is just, well, fluff. Spider Man has a window of appeal from say age five to twelve, maybe thirteen. Bat Man can carry on well into adulthood. I could stand to be Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker not so much.

Good point. My view may have been tilted towards the younger audience but long term appeal is the question here....

So is it possible for Batman to outpace Superman?

. Bat Man can carry on well into adulthood. I could stand to be Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker not so much.

Who wouldn't wana be a billionaire, man about town? And that's the point, there are a lot more Peter Parkers in the world than there are Bruce Waynes.

BTW, I voted for Bat Man, because I think that dark element,played correctly has wider appeal.

Bat Man can carry on well into adulthood. I could stand to be Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker not so much.

Who wouldn't wana be a billionaire, man about town? And that's the point, there are a lot more Peter Parkers in the world than there are Bruce Waynes.

BTW, I voted for Bat Man, because I think that dark element,played correctly has wider appeal.

Yeah, but who wants to fantasize about who they are?

Bat Man isn't supposed to be light. He is a detective. He is constantly surrounded by mystery. I guess that is the biggest draw for me. I love mysteries, murder and mayhem. Spider Man is just, well, fluff. Spider Man has a window of appeal from say age five to twelve, maybe thirteen. Bat Man can carry on well into adulthood. I could stand to be Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker not so much.

Adam West and Burt Ward would beg to differ.

Spider Man is just, well, fluff. Spider Man has a window of appeal from say age five to twelve, maybe thirteen. Bat Man can carry on well into adulthood. I could stand to be Bruce Wayne, Peter Parker not so much.

Good point. My view may have been tilted towards the younger audience but long term appeal is the question here....

thier really is no comparision Batman is much more popular than Superman. when you ask the younger generation about Superman they think about Mickey Mouse.

thier really is no comparision Batman is much more popular than Superman. when you ask the younger generation about Superman they think about Mickey Mouse.

I don't know if I would agree with you but how do you quantify that....

Food for thought.