• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DARK KNIGHT smashes its way into the top 50 (inflation adjusted)

105 posts in this topic

I meant *valid* reasons. lol

You might as well say:

1) Fanboy reason 1

2) Fanboy reason 2

3) Fanboy reason 3

We are what we are Joe. I am never ashamed to admit I am a fanboy. I wear that label with pride.

We are what we are Joe. I am never ashamed to admit I am a fanboy. I wear that label with pride.

That's refreshing to hear, as more of the FBs on here refuse to admit it. (thumbs u

Personally, I don't care if my fave movie made $400 million or $400, as long as I can get it on DVD and watch it whenever I want.

Unless you hold a financial stake in the movie, why would you care how much money it made?

Caring whether it's a good movie with quality talent behind it, sure, but just BO take? :screwy:

1. It drives the development and release of more comic movies

2. It breathes much needed life into the Batman franchise

3. I can stop hearing Parker talk about the Spiderman movies and how much they grossed

I am a big comic fan, while my wife and I saw Tropic Thunder,we both turned to each other and said it good to watch something that isn`t a comic book movie. something different, refreshing and funny. You can have too much of a good thing.

You might as well say:

1) Fanboy reason 1

2) Fanboy reason 2

3) Fanboy reason 3

lol

don't worry about it ciorac, I don't see being a fanboy a bad thing.

It's just that some people throw that "name tag" around like it's an insult - even on a comic book board.

The most ironic thing is that if 28 thousand posts in six bloody years on a comic forum

doesn't make you a fan boy...

then what the hell does???

Some please tell me!

:roflmao:

I agree the Dark Knight is the number 2 movie of all time period, as of this writing.

While I agree that TDK is officially the second highest grossing movie of all time, it's popularity cannot be correctly measured by Gross box-office dollars.

Simply put (and i'm eyeballing these figures here for the purpose of making a simple example), Star Wars at about half the ticket price 30 years ago, put TWICE as many ticket purchasers in their seats as TDK.

People simply don't go to films as much as they did when Gone With the Wind came out. If you didn't see movies in the theatre before 1980, you weren't ever going to see them. If there was no cable, PPV, or DVD, a LOT more people would go to films.

On the other hand, to actually compare popularity between past and present films, you can't count ALL post-theatre sales, either. Senior citizens and shut-ins who wouldn't go see Gone With the Wind at the theatre may have chosen to see it at home.

Dunno if you can compare pre-1980 and post-1980 films at all, without coming up with some kind of formula.

People simply don't go to films as much as they did when Gone With the Wind came out. If you didn't see movies in the theatre before 1980, you weren't ever going to see them. If there was no cable, PPV, or DVD, a LOT more people would go to films.

Exactly, you have to compare Dark Knight to all the other inflation adjusted movies on the list that were released AFTER the widespread use of VHS video (post-1985) made it possible to buy movies.

If using these parameters, the only post 1985 movies that have done better than Dark Knight are Titanic, Jurassic Park, Phantom Menace and Forrest Gump.

This puts it into the TOP 5 MOVIES OF ALL TIME since VHS became widespread in the mid-80s

And if you include merchandising also, it is probably only topped by Phantom Menace and maybe Titanic.

Lets face it, Dark Knight is a grand slam home run on a scale that only comes around once every 10 years or so for the studios.

Now what are they gonna do to follow it up?

You might as well say:

1) Fanboy reason 1

2) Fanboy reason 2

3) Fanboy reason 3

lol

don't worry about it ciorac, I don't see being a fanboy a bad thing.

It's just that some people throw that "name tag" around like it's an insult - even on a comic book board.

The most ironic thing is that if 28 thousand posts in six bloody years on a comic forum

doesn't make you a fan boy...

Some please tell me!

:roflmao:

oh snap!

I agree the Dark Knight is the number 2 movie of all time period, as of this writing.

While I agree that TDK is officially the second highest grossing movie of all time, it's popularity cannot be correctly measured by Gross box-office dollars.

Simply put (and i'm eyeballing these figures here for the purpose of making a simple example), Star Wars at about half the ticket price 30 years ago, put TWICE as many ticket purchasers in their seats as TDK.

On the other hand, to actually compare popularity between past and present films, you can't count ALL post-theatre sales, either. Senior citizens and shut-ins who wouldn't go see Gone With the Wind at the theatre may have chosen to see it at home.

Dunno if you can compare pre-1980 and post-1980 films at all, without coming up with some kind of formula.

I was going to say the same thing...

The times of people going to see a movie over 30 times is a thing of the past. I know I have watched less movies in the theaters, but I have seen MORE movies (via other avenues) than I ever did as a kid.

That's why it was so surprising to read about people going to see Dark Knight multiple times. Those are the true stalwarts.

Gone with the Wind probably required about 4 times as many folks to post it's $200m number.

That's why the inflation adjusted numbers are the REAL means of tracking a movies popularity, IMHO.... :foryou:

and, of course, these guesstimates only take domestic popularity into account... :grin:

What I noticed is that if you select the list by estimated number of tickets sold it's not going to break the top twenty.

Star Wars' numbers do account for re-releases BTW

That's refreshing to hear, as more of the FBs on here refuse to admit it. (thumbs u

Personally, I don't care if my fave movie made $400 million or $400, as long as I can get it on DVD and watch it whenever I want.

As long as you can admit it too! :thumbsup:

Without these type numbers on this genre of movie,your "faves" might not come about.

Can't wait for TDK to make it to DVD :luhv:

you just can't judge a movie's success now-a-days versus that of much older movies when there was no cable, no ppv, no satelite, no VCR, no DVD, no home theatre systems, no videogames to compete against those older movies like you have for modern movies. I am sure alot of people will just see a movie once now and then wait for it to come out on DVD whereas before that wasn't an option. So it is totally misleading to judge movies like TDK just on inflation adjusted ticket prices. It's really absurd, just look at the list of those 50 top inflation adjusted movies folks!

Can't wait for TDK to make it to DVD :luhv:

Same here. I think it's being released in December.

The most ironic thing is that if 28 thousand posts in six bloody years on a comic forum doesn't make you a fan boy...

Some please tell me!

You really don't know?

A fanboy is someone whose adulation for a specific pop culture item, trend or person is so great that it becomes personal, and the fanboy identifies with it to such an extreme, any negative attributed to "it" is taken as a personal insult by the fanboy.

Popular fanboy retorts:

"You didn't get it"

"You're not a true fan"

"It's impossible to make a bad comic book movie"

"This movie is for thinking people"

Or any variation thereof.

Many on these boards have tried to paint me as a fanboy, insulting things that I like, such as Byrne X-Men or the BA in general, hoping to get a rise out of me - but who cares, it's just funny books. lol

Try it and find out. :banana:

Without these type numbers on this genre of movie,your "faves" might not come about.

I like many different genres, and to tell the truth, funny book movies are pretty low on the list. Other than Spider-man 1, Batman Begins, Blade, and X1/X3 I can't think of any Marvel or DC movie that I even watch on DVD.

Most of these are absolutely terrible, like FF1 and 2, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Elektra, Catwoman, Superman Returns, Punisher, Man-Thing, LOEG, The Hulk, Constantine - those are some real stinkers.

If they never made another one, I wouldn't miss it, as long as the action/adventure genre is alive and kicking. I like stuff like Aliens, The Matrix, Road Warrior, etc. far more than any comic book movie.

fanboy is someone whose adulation for a specific pop culture item, trend or person is so great that it becomes personal, and the fanboy identifies with it to such an extreme, any negative attributed to "it" is taken as a personal insult by the fanboy.

I haven't heard it defined this narrowly. Your definition fits but is more limited than I've heard it before. Hadn't really looked it up before, but the Wikipedia version is definitely broader than yours -- not sure ANYBODY in these forums doesn't fit under the broader definition of the term, which is roughly someone who exhibits obsessive behavior over childish media.

Pretty sure 90 out of 100 random people would think someone who's posted more than 1,000 times in a comic book forum would absolutely be fanboy material.

In order to be a true fanboy, this guy needs to personally identify with the object of their affection, so that any insult against "it" is taken as a personal insult. On the other end, due to this personal transference, the fanboy also feels that "it" makes him special, and will say things like "you didn't get it" or "it's a thinking man's movie/comic/etc." in response to criticism, as if the fanboy is the only one who can truly recognize its brilliance.

Otherwise, without this "it's personal" type of obsessive fanboy progression, he's just a fan.

And you can be a fan of anything, without being a fanboy. That means you can like and appreciate "it", without taking it as a personal affront when someone else doesn't.

Look at some of the guys in Modern - I toss a few barbs in there, and refer to them as "funny books" and the fanboys get all riled up, calling me names, insulting my manhood, and saying that I must not be smart enough to understand Modern comics.

It's stuff right out of the Fanboy Handbook. lollol