• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DARK KNIGHT smashes its way into the top 50 (inflation adjusted)

105 posts in this topic

Hi,

Personally I don't take into consideration inflation adjustments because, yes one can adjust for inflation, but what is not taken into account are factors outside inflation. Motion picture companies are now really having a tough time because the number of people seeing movies in general has declined, due to a number of factors (hi-def TV's and surround systems, video game competiton, being just a couple that come to mind).

Even though the gross earnings for some movies, can be higher because of ticket prices, I personally do not adjust inflation, because of the tough times that the box offices are having (in general).

The Dark Knight is #2 all time, domestically, therefore it is #2. We don't adjust Usane Bolt's 100M and 200M Olympic & World record times because he might have better footwear and a faster track than 50 years ago, the time is what it is, and Batman's domestic gross is what it is, the heck with inflation adjustments.

Second, too many people just look at domestic box office results, but what you should be looking at is world-wide box office results.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy did well domestically, but world-wide the 3 movies grossed nearly 3 billion dollars. To me, the world-wide box office results are the REAL indicators, unless people think that movies are not watched outside the US.

Anyway, codos to "The Dark Knight" a superb movie on every level.

Hi,

Personally I don't take into consideration inflation adjustments because, yes one can adjust for inflation, but what is not taken into account are factors outside inflation. Motion picture companies are now really having a tough time because the number of people seeing movies in general has declined, due to a number of factors (hi-def TV's and surround systems, video game competiton, being just a couple that come to mind).

Even though the gross earnings for some movies, can be higher because of ticket prices, I personally do not adjust inflation, because of the tough times that the box offices are having (in general).

The Dark Knight is #2 all time, domestically, therefore it is #2. We don't adjust Usane Bolt's 100M and 200M Olympic & World record times because he might have better footwear and a faster track than 50 years ago, the time is what it is, and Batman's domestic gross is what it is, the heck with inflation adjustments.

Second, too many people just look at domestic box office results, but what you should be looking at is world-wide box office results.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy did well domestically, but world-wide the 3 movies grossed nearly 3 billion dollars. To me, the world-wide box office results are the REAL indicators, unless people think that movies are not watched outside the US.

Many good points raised here, but despite being a huge DC and Batman fan, there's no way i would lay claim to anything other than the fact that it posted the 4th best total worldwide ticket sales at 2008 ticket prices.

to ignore the price of tickets is simply to ignore the fact that far fewer folks actually paid to see this movie than dozens of other great and popular flicks, IMHO....

Hi,

Many good points raised here, but despite being a huge DC and Batman fan, there's no way i would lay claim to anything other than the fact that it posted the 4th best total worldwide ticket sales at 2008 ticket prices.

to ignore the price of tickets is simply to ignore the fact that far fewer folks actually paid to see this movie than dozens of other great and popular flicks, IMHO....

all good points...but, in today's society, where there is a myriad more entertainment $ options than days past (such as being on dvd within months, sometimes, of releases), I like the idea of taking gross receipts for what they are...doesn't mean less folks "will" choose to see the movie, just might mean less folks will pay "now" to see it, versus very near future alternatives that were not available in days past (Thumbs u

Olympic atheletes don't become twice as fast in 50 years, but movie tickets DO raise in cost by 2x to 3x over that period of time. Tracking box office totals is a blunt tool for measuring popularity...fans only use that because studios don't release raw ticket sales. The measure of popularity should be movie tickets + dvd/bluray sales + (some factor to incorporate on-demand movie purchases), but Hollywood doesn't do it. I don't really understand why, but I suppose even if they started, there are no historical numbers for this anyway, so you'd still be unable to compare present films to past ones.

Speaking of dvd/blu-ray, from thedigitalbits:

"As I predicted yesterday afternoon, Warner Home Video has just officially announced the U.S. DVD and Blu-ray Disc release of The Dark Knight on (again, just as predicted) 12/9. Available on that day will be a single-disc DVD (SRP $28.98 - separate widescreen and full frame versions), a 2-disc DVD Special Edition (SRP $34.99) and a 2-disc Blu-ray (SRP $35.99). The single-disc DVD will include just the film itself. The 2-disc DVD will include the film, plus the Gotham Uncovered: Creation of a Scene documentary, The Dark Knight IMAX Scenes (the ability to view the 6 IMAX sequences in their original framing), 6 episodes of the fictional Gotham Tonight news program, galleries of poster art and production stills, and a Digital Copy version of the film. The Blu-ray will include all that, plus the exclusive Batman Tech: The Incredible Gadgets and Tools and Batman Unmasked: The Psychology of The Dark Knight featurettes, additional galleries (Joker Cards, concept art), trailers, TV spots and BD-Live enhancement. The movie on the Blu-ray will also be enhanced with something called Focus Points. All the video features will be in full HD on the Blu-ray, and the audio will be Dolby TrueHD. The Blu-ray Disc will apparently also be available in Limited Edition packaging featuring a replica of the Batpod (pictured below), but we don't know yet if this is a retailer exclusive or if it will be more widely available. Here's the official U.S. cover art for (left to right) the single-disc DVD, the 2-disc DVD, the 2-disc Blu-ray and (second row) the 2-disc Blu-ray Limited Edition. Note that the outer cardboard sleeves on the 2-disc DVD and Blu-ray feature the Batpod (as shown below), while the inner case wrap art will feature The Joker... "

"In the meantime however, a LOT of you have sent in e-mails asking how the aspect ratio is going to work on the DVD and Blu-ray Disc editions of The Dark Knight (due 12/9). I've just heard back from Warner Home Video on this, so here's the deal: The widescreen versions of the DVD will present the film in a 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen aspect ratio, reproducing the standard theatrical experience of the film. For the Blu-ray Disc however, while most of the film will also be presented in the 2.40:1 anamorphic widescreen ratio, the scenes that were specifically shot in IMAX format will be presented at 1.78:1, which will fill the frame and will thus recreate the IMAX experience at home. This is not via seamless branching (you can't turn it off). But trust me: It's very cool. It's not gimmicky at all, it really adds something to the film - an extra little bit of 'oomph' to the action scenes, so to speak. So there you have it. It goes without saying that we obviously can't wait to get our hands on the discs."

66616.jpg.245da599f4c75a1b375c51165b66c483.jpg

66617.jpg.4575e853f51df6e3da27b697bfa1b13c.jpg

66618.jpg.a77fa825aae8cdd1957b4a069f038419.jpg

66619.jpg.7f9318c8014c4c7e1c7239b8ac141ad6.jpg

Hi,

all good points...but, in today's society, where there is a myriad more entertainment $ options than days past (such as being on dvd within months, sometimes, of releases), I like the idea of taking gross receipts for what they are...doesn't mean less folks "will" choose to see the movie, just might mean less folks will pay "now" to see it, versus very near future alternatives that were not available in days past (Thumbs u

Also, though people are paying 2x to see the movie, how many didn't pay anything but watched it online?

Also, though people are paying 2x to see the movie, how many didn't pay anything but watched it online?

I finally watched it a couple of weeks ago after I downloaded it.

Haven't downloaded movies in almost 10 years, but after the suckfest that was Batman Begins and the horrible horrible animated thing, I wasn't about to drop $10 on this new one. Had it been worth a damn, I would have been in the theater the very next night to see it for real...

But it took me two times to get through it... Absolutely hated it. zzz It was definitely better than Begins, but it was still an awful movie. I'm glad I didn't waste anymore money on the franchise, and I deleted the files once I finally finished watching it so I didn't have to waste $1 on a blank DVD. I'm baffled as to why it's making this much money and as to why everyone loves it so much. (shrug)

I finally watched it a couple of weeks ago after I downloaded it.

Haven't downloaded movies in almost 10 years, but after the suckfest that was Batman Begins and the horrible horrible animated thing, I wasn't about to drop $10 on this new one. Had it been worth a damn, I would have been in the theater the very next night to see it for real...

But it took me two times to get through it... Absolutely hated it. zzz It was definitely better than Begins, but it was still an awful movie. I'm glad I didn't waste anymore money on the franchise, and I deleted the files once I finally finished watching it so I didn't have to waste $1 on a blank DVD. I'm baffled as to why it's making this much money and as to why everyone loves it so much. (shrug)

and based on that, i'll remember to stay far away from anything you recommend. hated proof btw, the art was atrocious. and anyone that thinks that downloading and watching a movie is the same as watching it in imax or on a big screen is :screwy:

definitely didn't say that downloading it is the same thing... which is why I would have gone to see it if I had liked it...

I'm sure the explosions looked better, but story, dialogue, and the delivery of that dialogue don't get better just b/c they're bigger. :)

Not sure what Proof has to do with Batman, but ok... there's nothing out there that everyone likes. Awesome that you gave it a shot... sorry you didn't like it tho. :-/