• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DARK KNIGHT smashes its way into the top 50 (inflation adjusted)

105 posts in this topic

Dark Knight is now #29 on the inflation adjusted list, right above Shrek 2. I can't believe that Shrek 2 is #30 on the list, whereas Shrek 1 is only #99. Shrek 1 was sooo much better than Shrek 1 IMO. Shocked to see that Batman Begins isn't on the inflation adjusted list.

Dark Knight is now #29 on the inflation adjusted list, right above Shrek 2. I can't believe that Shrek 2 is #30 on the list, whereas Shrek 1 is only #99. Shrek 1 was sooo much better than Shrek 1 IMO. Shocked to see that Batman Begins isn't on the inflation adjusted list.

I wonder if TDK could have posted "Star Wars" type numbers if it had been released without people having the option to view it on dvd, pay per view, and cable. Star Wars did $1.2 billion inflation adjusted, but you knew if you did not see it in theatres it would be years before you had a chance to see it on a small TV set (with commercials)

It's tough to say, but TDK is definitely this generation's major event movie, and I hope this finally stops people like FD posting that "... none of today's movies has a chance to compete against older ones...". doh!

This type of movie just doesn't come along everyday, and pre-Titanic, there were people who said that there was no way that any movie would ever pass Star Wars... :blahblah:

I don't think JC is a fanboy. He is much worse. He is obsessed with fanboys, almost like a mancrush. It probably goes down to deep insecurities as a child as he was no doubt the target of insults and put downs. Someone who is secure in their identity wouldn't post 28,000 times about fanboys or denying they are not a fanboy. Someone who is secure would care less.

It probably goes down to deep insecurities as a child as he was no doubt the target of insults and put downs.

Actually, as much as it pains me to say it today, I was the one hammering on the nerds when I was in high-school.

If you can play sports, you'll always be in the "in" crowd.

It's tough to say, but TDK is definitely this generation's major event movie

this topic can be debated ad nauseum without a conclusion either way.

I know that you know your movie stuff but i must disagree with calling TDK "this generations major event movie"....

TDK will not likely surpass Titanic in any of the Big 3 measurable categories. (Domestic Box, Inflation adjusted Box or Worldwide Box), and Titanic was only released in 1997.

You might call TDK the Movie event of this decade but hardly of this generation.......

TDK will not likely surpass Titanic in any of the Big 3 measurable categories. (Domestic Box, Inflation adjusted Box or Worldwide Box), and Titanic was only released in 1997.

But it will surpass Titanic in these 4 very important categories:

1. merchandisng (hands down)

2. sequels (Leo & Heath are both dead..... but Batman lives on)

3. dvd sales (I think)

4. spin-offs (can a Robin movie be far behind) :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

But it will surpass Titanic in these 4 very important categories:

1. merchandisng (hands down)

2. sequels (Leo & Heath are both dead..... but Batman lives on)

3. dvd sales (I think)

4. spin-offs (can a Robin movie be far behind) :sick::sick::sick::sick::sick:

You mean you never got your mini Titanic at Wendy's???

It probably goes down to deep insecurities as a child as he was no doubt the target of insults and put downs.

Actually, as much as it pains me to say it today, I was the one hammering on the nerds when I was in high-school.

If you can play sports, you'll always be in the "in" crowd.

Well there is always the punter/field goal kicker/soccer player/golfer who I would say aren't necessarily part of the "in" crowd. By the way. What's with this was nonsense? You still are hammering on nerds. :sumo:

3. dvd sales (I think)

Don't bet on that one, as Titanic was a record-breaking seller on VHS (comparable format due to release era) and more recently, has done extremely well on DVD with multiple releases.

Then again, who knows, as TDK has exceeded all financial expectations so far.

Well there is always the punter/field goal kicker/soccer player/golfer who I would say aren't necessarily part of the "in" crowd.

Sorry, I meant being an active part of REAL sports.

If you can hit a baseball, throw a football or toss up a jumper with any degree of aptitude, there is no question that high school will be much easier for you.

Well there is always the punter/field goal kicker/soccer player/golfer who I would say aren't necessarily part of the "in" crowd.

Sorry, I meant being an active part of REAL sports.

If you can hit a baseball, throw a football or toss up a jumper with any degree of aptitude, there is no question that high school will be much easier for you.

OK, that's better. I definitely can agree with you on that one. I wish I did know how to do those things well. Life would of been easier in High School and Junior High way back when.

I meant in a post-Titanic era.

It'll probably be a good 10-15 years before anything similar emerges.

Agreed

I'd have to agree as well - for all its faults, such as shorthanding plot devices and characterization due to there being too many storylines for one film, TDK succeeded in capturing the zeitgeist, which is needless to say unheard of for a comic based film, especially a super-hero one.

Our fears of psychosis, corruption, random terrorism and uncertainty were handled with remarkable finesse in this movie. I think it took more than a few people by surprise, including me.

I agree the Dark Knight is the number 2 movie of all time period, as of this writing.

While I agree that TDK is officially the second highest grossing movie of all time, it's popularity cannot be correctly measured by Gross box-office dollars.

Simply put (and i'm eyeballing these figures here for the purpose of making a simple example), Star Wars at about half the ticket price 30 years ago, put TWICE as many ticket purchasers in their seats as TDK.

Gone with the Wind probably required about 4 times as many folks to post it's $200m number.

That's why the inflation adjusted numbers are the REAL means of tracking a movies popularity, IMHO.... :foryou:

and, of course, these guesstimates only take domestic popularity into account... :grin:

Star Wars isn't a great example because the gross includes the re-releases in 82 and 97.