• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Want Fries With That?

1,987 posts in this topic

And it's gone 3 (or 6) pages so far without any yelling.

I too am quite impressed and hope that it stays that way. If it doesn't, then we will certainly know who's responsible and only here for a cheap thrill or to be nominated as chief paddle.

I too am quite impressed and hope that it stays that way. If it doesn't, then we will certainly know who's responsible and only here for a cheap thrill or to nominated as chief paddle.

Well, it won't be me...I certainly didn't start the thread with the intention of refuelling the debate, but rather expressing my own personal feelings with the hobby as a whole. Matt's 'menu' simply got me thinking. (thumbs u

And it's gone 3 (or 6) pages so far without any yelling.

I too am quite impressed and hope that it stays that way. If it doesn't, then we will certainly know who's responsible and only here for a cheap thrill or to be nominated as chief paddle.

This has been a nice, reasoned debate, without any name calling for about six or seven pages.

And anyway, in this hobby and particularly on this board, hearing that someone has "no intention of ever selling" a book very much reminds me of wedding vows; they're made with good intentions and come from a place of "love", yet they tend to have little to meaning in the long run.

And not just that, but the "I have no intention of ever selling" crowd totally disregards that they are profiting monetarily from the press, as their net worth has increased. And they know that, and the fact that the book *could* be sold at any time has to enter into it.

It's like buying a house for $50K and renovating it to the tune of $250K, whether you sell it or not is irrelevant, you have still increased your net worth by $200K. And somewhere along the line, you or your family will collect.

Thinking is good...leaving would be bad, I'd miss you...

As for Matt Nelson, I had a WW #1 that someone "restored" and put the pages in backwards, he fixed it, and an Action 17, that some kid did the same thing to. The Action 17, I'll probably try selling, so it made sense to fix it, the Wonder Woman is MINE and even CGC'd and as easy going as I usually am, the pages bothered me, so I was really happy that Matt could fix them, and I like him...and his new baby is adorable...

As for pressing books and bumping them up...and not saying anything...well...I keep saying the same thing, I don't care if you press clothes, books, heck, I used to iron my hair when I was a kid...but I didn't say I didn't;)

And it's these politics...and the utter, utter greed of way too many parties...that have slowly sapped the joy from my collecting. There is no more innocence left, no more 'fun'. It's all about the $$$ and how long and how hard and how deep you can shaft the buyer.

(thumbs u

But I can't seem to reconcile collecting what I Iove with my ethics any longer. Hell, I can't seem to find anything to buy that isn't in some way tainted. And it will only get worse. Matt Nelson is making a decent living out of pressing and I will guarantee you that the majority of his work is for people who are maximising profits on resale. And he's churning them out like nobody's business.

So why aren't we seeing hundreds and hundreds of auctions/sales...whether on eBay, CLink, Heritage or dealers' sites...proactively declaring the work undertaken?

I think we all know the answer to that one...$$$

(thumbs u

This is the big problem as far as I'm concerned.

Mike

Originally Posted By: Flaming_Telepath
But I can't seem to reconcile collecting what I Iove with my ethics any longer. Hell, I can't seem to find anything to buy that isn't in some way tainted. And it will only get worse. Matt Nelson is making a decent living out of pressing and I will guarantee you that the majority of his work is for people who are maximising profits on resale. And he's churning them out like nobody's business.

So why aren't we seeing hundreds and hundreds of auctions/sales...whether on eBay, CLink, Heritage or dealers' sites...proactively declaring the work undertaken?

\(thumbs u

Mike

But the evidence, scarce as it is, is that disclossed pressing does nothing to alter the prices paid by people for the books.

As for Matt Nelson, I had a WW #1 that someone "restored" and put the pages in backwards, he fixed it, and an Action 17, that some kid did the same thing to. The Action 17, I'll probably try selling, so it made sense to fix it, the Wonder Woman is MINE and even CGC'd and as easy going as I usually am, the pages bothered me, so I was really happy that Matt could fix them, and I like him...and his new baby is adorable...

I don't think anyone here is saying that Matt isn't a talented individual. It's not his abilities that are being questioned here.

Maybe CGC or someone, should start a new company, where they emboss a capital "p" on all pressed books...or an "A" for alteration;) That way people can't change the holders and hide restoration, just put it on the letter's page or the centerfold, half the people won't look anyway...

\(thumbs u

Mike

But the evidence, scarce as it is, is that disclossed pressing does nothing to alter the prices paid by people for the books.
So why not disclose, then people like Nick and me can step aside on bidding for those books and just focus on unpressed without having to worry about we are really getting.Mike

Originally Posted By: arexcrooke
 Originally Posted By: Monkeyman

\(thumbs u

Mike

So why not disclose, then people like Nick and me can step aside on bidding for those books and just focus on unpressed without having to worry about we are really getting.

Mike

That's an excellent idea. I would love for pressed books to be disclosed in the bidding/buying process. That's the kind of books that I am interested in purchasing. That way I will no longer have to wonder if the full "potential" for the book has been realized. (thumbs uJim

\(thumbs u

Mike

Interesting point..but it would make a difference in how much I'd be willing to pay. It would also be a negotiang point for all but the rarest and most difficult to find comic. If all pressing was disclosed, we might see price differences starting to show.

Interesting thread.

12-15 bucks to restore a book in a way that can potentially increase its value hundreds of dollars if not more and yet is completely undetectable so noone, say a buyer for example, need ever know! .

Brilliant!!!!

Guiness-Brilliant.jpg

Interesting thread.

12-15 bucks to restore a book in a way that can potentially increase its value hundreds of dollars if not more and yet is completely undetectable so noone, say a buyer for example, need ever know! .

Brilliant!!!!

Guiness-Brilliant.jpg

And as more pancackes come into the market, that flattened, pancaked look will become the norm, making it even harder to detect.

Just a question in general.

How many of the people who are so adamant about pressing being disclosed or are against pressing on the whole actually purchase slabbed books as the majority of their collection?

Interesting thread.

Brilliant!!!!

Guiness-Brilliant.jpg

And as more pancackes come into the market, that flattened, pancaked look will become the norm, making it even harder to detect.

You do realize, as shocking as it might seem, that you cant tell the difference between a pressed and non-pressed book, correct? I mean seriously, your hyperbole is based on ignorance or how and what pressing actually does.

Either that, or you are deliberatly being obtuse to be over the top with your characterization of pressing and your dissproval of the process

Originally Posted By: arexcrooke
 Originally Posted By: Monkeyman

\(thumbs u

Mike

So why not disclose, then people like Nick and me can step aside on bidding for those books and just focus on unpressed without having to worry about we are really getting.

Mike

Mike, i think the answer lies in the reply I gave. From a money perspective the difference is not there. So, why should a dealer disclose or not disclose when the person who is buying the book pays the same irregardless :shrug:

You do realize, as shocking as it might seem, that you cant tell the difference between a pressed and non-pressed book, correct? I mean seriously, your hyperbole is based on ignorance or how and what pressing actually does.

Either that, or you are deliberatly being obtuse to be over the top with your characterization of pressing and your dissproval of the process

That's not completely correct. In some cases maybe. I have a number of pressed comics that I bought purposely to check on the pressing. In 75% of the cases, it's obvious if you're looking for it. I had to take some out of the slab to do. It's wasn't obvious on some until you examined the comic closely...Jim