• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Want Fries With That?

1,987 posts in this topic

Originally Posted By: joe_collector
The pressing threads always get out of hand...

On one side we have the dealers who stand to profit most, the collectors and investors who are sitting on a pile of CGC 9.6 - 9.8 nosebleed books, and the various "enablers" who profit from this practice, from Matt to CGC.

On the other we have the majority of the collector base, who finds this practice unsavory, and fears that rampant pressing-greed will cause the house of cards to come tumbling down and send the hobby into another dark age.

Neither side will see the other's point-of-view, as one sees "live for today" money to be made no matter the consequences to the hobby, while the other unrealistically hopes for sanity in a world where a $15 press can yield thousands of dollars in return.

sorry.gif

That post is nothing but a hogwash of gibberish based on your own personal opinion with absolutely no basis in fact.

Interesting, so then no one is making any money on pressing books? Very interesting stance.

hopes for sanity in a world where a $15 press can yield thousands of dollars in return.

How quickly we forget, but it was only a few years ago when the pro-pressing crowd flatly denied that pressing could even be done on anything resembling a wide scale due to time and cost. What a farce that turned out to be, like reading Pravda circa 1983. :mad: I'm not going to name names, but some big names here on the Boards were dead wrong about that. In the last couple of years, the argument has shifted from "it'll never catch on because it's too expensive for most books" to "there's nothing wrong with it". :doh:

Originally Posted By: MrBedrock
I have had many of the books in my collection pressed. And I assure you I have no intention of selling them.
\(thumbs u

And of course, he has it stated in his will that upon his death, all of these pressed books will be destroyed so that no one in his family can profiteer on them, right?

Originally Posted By: Monkeyman
 Originally Posted By: nik
We have:

DC collectors vs. Marvel Collectors

SA collectors vs GA collectors

HG collectors vs Any Grade collectors

Slab collectors vs Raw collectors

People selling/trading for the pure enjoyment vs Sellers squeezing whatever they can

Overgraders vs Undergraders

Honest people vs Dishonest people

Pro-pressing vs Anti-pressing

and so on...... blahblah.gif

Point is stick to whatever and however you collect and don't

dwell about the other side of the fence. Enjoy what and how you collect and don't worry about Joe Schmoe from the other side, this is not a matter of life and death.

The problem is that I can tell the difference between raw and slabbed, DC and Marvel, SA and GA from a scan. I can't tell if a book has been pressed from a scan. So how am I going to go about enjoying what I collect, which is, among other things, unpressed books, when the pressing isn't disclosed?

Mike

Simple. Buy raw books. Go to cons, small shows, LCS. Its a little more work but there are a bunch of Raw books still out there.

My experience is very different from yours. Although I live in Montreal, which is a large city of 3,000,000 people, the English speaking population is small and therefore the comic reading population is small. I would say that we are the equivalent of a city of 500,000 people for comic purposes. There are maybe four comic shops in town and it has been a while since I have come across any really high grade books. We have a few cons here, but again, the local dealers don't have a lot of great stuff. I guess that I could spend 100s of dollars travelling to cons in Toronto and the U.S., but I'd rather spend that money on books and I have found the prices at cons to be very high.I travel a lot for business and used to enjoy visiting comic shops around Canada and the U.S. I was able to pick up decent books at good prices. Since CGC started that has simply dried up. Now I go into shops, ask about high grade books and the answer is always the same - "We send that stuff to CGC and then sell it on eBay." Even the local shops in Montreal do the same thing. A collection comes in and the best books are off to CGC almost immediately. I find that I am now pretty much limited to collecting high grade over the net.Just my experience.Mike

Originally Posted By: agro23
I have had many of the books in my collection pressed. And I assure you I have no intention of selling them.
\(thumbs u

And of course, he has it stated in his will that upon his death, all of these pressed books will be destroyed so that no one in his family can profiteer on them, right?

I've tried making that point at least twice in this thread, but the "I'll never sell" crowd isn't biting.

How quickly we forget, but it was only a few years ago when the pro-pressing crowd flatly denied that pressing could even be done on anything resembling a wide scale due to time and cost. What a farce that turned out to be, like reading Pravda circa 1983. mad.gif I'm not going to name names, but some big names here on the Boards were dead wrong about that. In the last couple of years, the argument has shifted from "it'll never catch on because it's too expensive for most books" to "there's nothing wrong with it". doh\!

I think these were the same guys telling us that Ewert wasn't doctoring his books, had an "uncanny eye" for picking out diamonds in the rough, and that we were "all just jealous" about his incredible skill.

:roflmao:

Originally Posted By: DrWatson
To equate comic book pressing with those things you just listed is ridiculous.

Nobody's equating anything, just making a point. \(shrug\)

I'm opposed to the rampant proliferation of greed in this hobby, of which unnecessary pressing for profit is a prime symptom. I see enough of that here in NYC. Comics are supposed to be my sanctuary away from all the petty douchebags I run into here and instead I find that there are more greedy and ethically-challenged people in our hobby than on Wall Street. sorry.gif

From what I've heard, everyone on Wall Street is there for the sole purpose of making money. If the pursuit of money is a sign that a person is lacking ethics then you should probably be looking in the mirror, as should I and everyone else who works for a living. Pressing and the disclosure of same are not unethical practices. They practices that are not accepted by a segment of this hobby.

Some of you guys are so untrusting that it amazes me why the hell you are still in this hobby.

And here I was wondering how so many people can walk around with blinders on.

wildlife-monkeys-hear-no-evil-see-no-evil-speak-no-evil.jpg

I guess we all do what we think we need to do in order to participate in the hobby we love.

\(thumbs u

I've tried making that point at least twice in this thread, but the "I'll never sell" crowd isn't biting.

Because it is a ridiculous argument.When I decide to sell them, I am going to make a S H I T load of money. But that is not the reason that I had them pressed. You can continue to convince yourself that it is. But it ain't

Some of you guys are so untrusting that it amazes me why the hell you are still in this hobby.

wildlife-monkeys-hear-no-evil-see-no-evi

I guess we all do what we think we need to do in order to participate in the hobby we love.

Dude, you would argue with a person if the glass is half empty or half full, simply just to argue :foryou:

Originally Posted By: delekkerste
To equate comic book pressing with those things you just listed is ridiculous.

Nobody's equating anything, just making a point. \(shrug\)

I'm opposed to the rampant proliferation of greed in this hobby, of which unnecessary pressing for profit is a prime symptom. I see enough of that here in NYC. Comics are supposed to be my sanctuary away from all the petty douchebags I run into here and instead I find that there are more greedy and ethically-challenged people in our hobby than on Wall Street. sorry.gif

From what I've heard, everyone on Wall Street is there for the sole purpose of making money. If the pursuit of money is a sign that a person is lacking ethics then you should probably be looking in the mirror, as should I and everyone else who works for a living.
Some of us on Wall Street actually take satisfaction in helping our clients meet their financial goals. It isn't all about personal gain. And we do disclose to the clients how we are making our salaries.
Pressing and the disclosure of same are not unethical practices. They practices that are not accepted by a segment of this hobby.
I don't think that there are that many people here arguing against pressing (although some clearly are). Most of us just want disclosure, which is clearly not happening in many, many cases.Mike

On one side we have the dealers who stand to profit most, the collectors and investors who are sitting on a pile of CGC 9.6 - 9.8 nosebleed books, and the various "enablers" who profit from this practice, from Matt to CGC.

On the other we have the majority of the collector base, who finds this practice unsavory, and fears that rampant pressing-greed will cause the house of cards to come tumbling down and send the hobby into another dark age.

Neither side will see the other's point-of-view, as one sees "live for today" money to be made no matter the consequences to the hobby, while the other unrealistically hopes for sanity in a world where a $15 press can yield thousands of dollars in return.

:sorry:

I personally find this to be inaccurate. It just seems that way on these boards and especially in pressing threads because they are the most vocal.

Yes, perhaps Susan can spearhead a seminar on how to detect pressed books since, according to information posted here, her accuracy rate is at 100%. <br /><br />

Yeah, and CGC has proven that its resto detection is 100%, right? hm

Yes, just like you've proven you are an assclown 100%

And there we have it. Doc busts out with the name calling. ^^

Originally Posted By: OldGuy

wildlife-monkeys-hear-no-evil-see-no-evi

Dude, you would argue with a person if the glass is half empty or half full, simply just to argue flowerred.gif

No he wouldn't. :baiting:

sorry.gif

I personally find this to be inaccurate. It just seems that way on these boards and especially in pressing threads because they are the most vocal.

Most probably the majority of the collecting base hasn't even heard of pressing.

Originally Posted By: buttock
 Originally Posted By: Monkeyman
We have:

DC collectors vs. Marvel Collectors

SA collectors vs GA collectors

HG collectors vs Any Grade collectors

Slab collectors vs Raw collectors

People selling/trading for the pure enjoyment vs Sellers squeezing whatever they can

Overgraders vs Undergraders

Honest people vs Dishonest people

Pro-pressing vs Anti-pressing

and so on...... blahblah.gif

Point is stick to whatever and however you collect and don't

dwell about the other side of the fence. Enjoy what and how you collect and don't worry about Joe Schmoe from the other side, this is not a matter of life and death.

The problem is that I can tell the difference between raw and slabbed, DC and Marvel, SA and GA from a scan. I can't tell if a book has been pressed from a scan. So how am I going to go about enjoying what I collect, which is, among other things, unpressed books, when the pressing isn't disclosed?

Mike

If you can't tell, then why do you care?

Maybe it's the principle? Maybe I don't like getting squeezed for every disposable penny I've got when I'm trying to build a collection for myself, just so a certain BSD can get every Marvel in 9.6/9.8?

Rape victims typically don't enjoy the experience as much as the rapists do.

That doesn't enter into the mind of most in this hobby, as demonstrated by this thread. (thumbs u

Originally Posted By: buttock
Alright, I'm calling you on this one genius. Please, oh PLEASE explain to us all the exact physics principles you're invoking here. Since "most people understand" this, it should be quite easy for you. And don't do your little dance around the question. Explain the physics or STFU.

It's obvious from this you don't have the faintest clue about how pro pressing is actually done, so I would recommend you do a little research on the subject (ask Ze for a quick primer) and then come back with more pointed questions.

There are significant differences between packing a comic in a box and what Matt and others do to a "professionally pressed" book, and it's pretty obvious stuff. Stuff like heat, moisture, PSI, localized pressure, etc. - but again, if you have no clue about any of this, then I simply don't have the time to spend explaining it all to a true neophyte.

And it's no "dance", but if you *truly* believe there is absolutely no difference between comic stacking and pro-pressing, then I kinda feel like a NASA engineer being asked "what rocket ship?" by a neanderthal.

I'm quite well versed in how pro-pressing is done. Answer the question. All you've done is mention concepts. Answer the question. Please explain the physics principles that make pro-pressing different from long-term pressure. Come on genius, let's see it. You are trying to turn this into an ad hominem argument. All I want is for you to answer the question. Reading comprehension, no?

Originally Posted By: CaptainOfIndustry
\(thumbs u

Because it is a ridiculous argument.

When I decide to sell them, I am going to make a S H I T load of money.

But that is not the reason that I had them pressed. You can continue to convince yourself that it is. But it ain't

Are you serious? You just acknowledged that when you sell(not IF, WHEN), you stand to make a S H I T load of money, yet you're trying to tell me that isn't a factor when deciding whether or not to have a book pressed? And you're saying my argument is ridiculous?

(thumbs u

I plan on being entombed with my collection. In a Crypt....climate controlled and pest proof. A custodian will change the backing boards every seven years and add new acid neutralising paper.