• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EC War comics question

10 posts in this topic

I enjoy many of the EC titles, including Shock, Crime Suspenstories, and others, but have not ventured much into the war comics (Two Fisted Tales, Frontline Combat.) Can you advise which issues are more well known or important (such as Frontline Combat #4, favorite story of Harvey Kurtzman.) Are there other issues that have unique significance?

Thank you.

All the issues edited by Kurtzman (Severin took over for the later issues) are superb. I like Frontline 5 "Big If" which is my favorite Kurtzman story as well as Frontline 8 "Thunderjet" by Alex Toth. The big Russ Cochran EC library editions are the best reprints available as they are over-sized and in b&w.

Another outstanding story. I was leafing through my EC Library volumes and the quality of art and stories of those Kurtzman edited issues is phenomenal.

Can someone tell me which issue (I'm pretty sure it was Two-Fisted Tales in the 20s) a story was in? It was about a dog in Korea (IIRC) who clearly was not aware there was a war going on and the last panel ended with the dog being left alone while everyone else fled or died or something. I don't think the dog died, but he might have. I may be confusing that story with a baby left behind.

Sorry about the terrible description, but it's been years since I read it. It was possibly the most moving story I've read in comics and I want to obtain that issue again.

Thanks!

Sorry about the terrible description, but it's been years since I read it. It was possibly the most moving story I've read in comics and I want to obtain that issue again.

Thanks!

What makes it extra difficult to find is that it's part IV of the book-length story of the US retreat after the Changjin Reservoir set back. The story title is Hungnam! and it's by Wally Wood. This is issue # 26 of Two-Fisted Tales (a Month book). As for the dog's fate :sorry:One of my favorite Kurtzman stories, i.e., one that affected me the most is "Rubble!" in TFT # 24, pitting this one man's life effort to build a house for his family's comfort and the senseless destruction of it for a meaningless gain.

Muchos gracias! I was pretty sure it was that one, but never wanted to spend the $$ to find out! Big thanks! (now I'm scared to pick it up because it's so emotional).

I remember reading that story and being MAD because it was so depressing.

What I love about the EC annuals is that they were comprised of unsold issues that they stripped the covers off of and rebound as an annual, so you never know which issues you're going to get.

Your 1952 Two-Fisted Annual might have totally different contents from my 1952 Two-Fisted Annual, etc.