• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kinda OT: tsr art

81 posts in this topic

Any of you guys have any sort of sense on the market for TSR OA? I know it can vary, just like comic OA.

I ask because someone just sent me an offer on this piece.

th_blizpass_98a.jpg

Hadn't really thought about selling, but the offer (2K) seems, to me anyway, like a decent offer. I'm still not all that interested in selling, just wondering if it really is a strong offer or not.

Anyone have any opinions or insight?

Hadn't really thought about selling, but the offer (2K) seems, to me anyway, like a decent offer. I'm still not all that interested in selling, just wondering if it really is a strong offer or not.

Anyone have any opinions or insight?

I've actually been on a secret D&D bender of late, purchasing a couple of early '80s era Basic Sets (where is the Erol Otus original art to that?? (worship) ), a full set of the early AD&D books and some modules. I've also been sniffing around for early TSR art, but haven't turned up anything that really tugs at the nostalgia strings yet. :(

There's not a lot of data points to go on, but I'd peg your Truman piece around $2,500.

I've been a fan of TSR art for years. The art is nicely done but the subject matter may turn some off. I'd say $2K is a good price for this. Maybe not full dealer retail but few pieces actually sell for that (even from dealers).

One of the first pieces of art I tried to track down was a D&D painting. I knew I wanted one so I pulled out the books, searched through the artwork to ID the artist I liked most. Then narrowed down the paintings and found the artist. I did meet him and went to his house but was crushed to find out most of his paintings were destroyed in a basement flood in the late 80s/early 90s. If it weren't for that unfortunate accident I'd probably have a lot more D&D artwork!

I would love to get some of the older character class paintings if anyone knows where they live..... And stuff from the psionics handbook.

My prime gaming days were Dnd v3 - 3.5 so those would be the ones I'd be interested in.

I am sure you guys have seen them by Clyde Caldwell has some classic Dragonlance paintings up on ebay. His prices are pretty steep though.

I've been a fan of TSR art for years. The art is nicely done but the subject matter may turn some off. I'd say $2K is a good price for this. Maybe not full dealer retail but few pieces actually sell for that (even from dealers).

One of the first pieces of art I tried to track down was a D&D painting. I knew I wanted one so I pulled out the books, searched through the artwork to ID the artist I liked most. Then narrowed down the paintings and found the artist. I did meet him and went to his house but was crushed to find out most of his paintings were destroyed in a basement flood in the late 80s/early 90s. If it weren't for that unfortunate accident I'd probably have a lot more D&D artwork!

Was that Otus? Seem to recall something like that

Not me. Haven't looked in a bit but this area seems pretty hot right now. There is a buyer with pretty deep pockets buying a fair bit up. I sold him my one piece for 9500 and there were also some pieces in the 8-15k? range in recent heritage auctions.

Not me. Haven't looked in a bit but this area seems pretty hot right now. There is a buyer with pretty deep pockets buying a fair bit up. I sold him my one piece for 9500 and there were also some pieces in the 8-15k? range in recent heritage auctions.

Just noticed this thread! Very cool.

My understanding is that 99% of the first generation D&D art was trashed during the TSR/Wizards of the Coast transition :frustrated: Literally thrown away.

I had heard this rumored for a long time, but then a few years ago I had it confirmed by Jeff Dee and Diesel (David S. LaForce) at Wizard Austin. There are a handful of pieces known and rumored to exist, but it seems unlikely that there is any big stash of this material out there.

Acquiring an Erol Otus (or as many as I can find) is a collecting goal of mine, but I fear it might take a while...

Finally got around to scanning this piece and I thought the thread might be interested. Not TSR art, but "prime period" Jeff Dee RPG art done right around the same time his was doing art for Fiend Folio and Deities and Demigods.

1981 "Space Mountain Man" illo for the Space Opera RPG:

nSd7oDRI_0403141804301.jpg

I wonder if it's the same guy who keeps asking about my Tim Truman piece?

Very cool. I still own a couple pieces of TSR art. I just purchased (non TSR) a cover from the Shadowrun Fasa games published in ninety two. I would love to post a pic here but don't know how to do it on these boards. Maybe it's my hunk of junk first generation ipad :•(

I am a huge fan of TSR artwork as well. I have been waiting for the right piece to come up but so far everything has exceeded my budget. Did anyone here pick up one of the painting off the HA illustration auction?

tsr1.jpg