• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stories of accidents on your comics

72 posts in this topic

No really bad accidents that are comparable with some of the mishaps that have been delineated in this thread...

I've brought this one up before - I was perusing comics at Harley's table (many years ago) and cut myself on a Mylar. I then proceeded to bleed on the cover of the mid-grade Silver Surfer 1 I was holding. I mentioned it to Harley and I said I should buy the book - he offered me a decent discount (to ease the pain). A few months later I sold it for what I paid for it, bloodstain and all.

I sense a pattern here..Captain Bloody RedpantsCaptain Bloody ComicsSomeone should PM Arach about a custom title hm

Originally Posted By: goldust40
No really bad accidents that are comparable with some of the mishaps that have been delineated in this thread...

I've brought this one up before - I was perusing comics at Harley's table (many years ago) and cut myself on a Mylar. I then proceeded to bleed on the cover of the mid-grade Silver Surfer 1 I was holding. I mentioned it to Harley and I said I should buy the book - he offered me a decent discount (to ease the pain). A few months later I sold it for what I paid for it, bloodstain and all.

I sense a pattern here..

Captain Bloody Redpants

Captain Bloody Comics

Someone should PM Arach about a custom title hm

Thank you for suggesting it, Dr. Evil. :baiting:

I originally posted this nightmare story in the OA thread, but here it goes. I bought this Ant #3 Cover from the artist, Mario Gully, at Megacon in Orlando. We spoke for about an hour (real cool guy) and he gave me a great deal on this cover, which boasts a beautiful spawn pic. Gully was real sad to let this piece go and I promised him I would not re-sell it and once framed I would send him a pic. I took the cover (with a signed Ant 3 by Gully) to a new frame shop near my house. They laid the cover out on a table so that a camera on the ceiling above could take a picture for measuring purposes. Unfortuneately, I did not know at the time that an air-conditioning vent was right next to the camera. As it was laying there, water dripped from the vent onto the cover (hence the ink run towards the top). We were all stunned. The framing guy was freaking out. They picked up the framing costs and paid me what I had paid for the artwork, but I felt horrible.

070.jpg

WATER is my enemy.

In fact, anyone who was at the house last year for the forum dinner might recall my new shelving system...those killer file drawer boxes and EVERYTHING is stacked on wooden skid pallets in my basement. NOTHING is actually touching the ground.

In my office, I have book shelves specifically designed and built to house long whites.

I've had about 6 different run-ins with water in the basement in the last 11 years.

I'll recount as I remember.

1) March 1997

We just moved into our new house and the washing machine busted 2 weeks in.

Water water everywhere.

2) April 1998 AC/Heating unit plug, slow...SLOW drainage of water into the finished portion of the basement. Nothing enough to notice until several days in.

3) Jan. 1999 See #2 about the AC.

4) June 2002

Wife thinks she's a plumber.

Need I say more...?

5) Nov. 2002 Hot water pump busts.

6) May 2006

We build an extention on the house. Contractors finish for the day, leaving exposed areas in the roof. DOWNPOUR that night, it was EFFIN RAINING IN THE HOUSE.

RAINING.

IN.

THE .

MOTHER EFFIN.

HOUSE.

I think a year later I discoverd the file box system and jacked everything up on skids.

The DAMAGE to the books, per se...well, it could have been worse.

All I can add to this is one piece of advice.

Never read anything in the bath.

The bath is for looking at pictures, tool...not reading words.

This happened only last week,

I have a quality receipe for disaster, take one 11 year old son, a jug of water, a rabbit and a set of patio doors, add to that a long box of your treasured X-Men's #100 in VF condition to #299 that you are rebagging and leave for a minute to .

Yes that's right, he took a jug of water and food to replenish the rabbit that lives outside (you have to go thru the patio doors at the rear of the lounge) rested the jug on the arm of the settee (next to which were the comics I'm rebagging) so he could open the doors, and sadness ensued. The next thing I know my son is outside the toilet jumping up and down making a bloodcurdling squealing noise _ I think he needs a pee, but no.... jug has fallen off the couch into the comics.

I wanted to be mad... but I couldn't, seeing his face in anguish and remembering my own disasters with my father (mainly centered around fishing) I said " it' okay, just forget about it!", although I was a bit depressed later in my own time - some things matter more, I guess

Lets see-Wolverine V3 Enemy of the State 1 in 65 variant nicked with a Cutco knife while opening the package, went from a 9.8 to a 9.4 rather quickly...

X-Men 194 in 9.6 or 9.8 condition-I have it in a comic bag and board leaving the store and a drop of water, against all odds, falls from a tree branch about 18 feet high and onto the little tiny crack of an opening where the book is exposed because I pulled it out a tiny bit to look at it...

Hulk #5 first series was about a 7.0 and the guy I got it from put it in one of those plastic cases which is absolutely impossible to open without damaging the book...well enough said...but for those caught in that situation, please just cut open the case with a good pair of sissors down the left or right seem...

Aside from that just a dozen or so minor mishandling mishaps, usually with very high grade modern books taking them out of the useful CGC zone...

Mega Con 2007

I meet Little Archie legend Bob Bolling for the first time on Friday. On the way home my wife convinces me I should bring some books back for him to sign the next day. I didn't want to be the average guy and just bring him Little Archie, his teen Archie work is great too! So after much debate I selected 3 books for him to sign. Stop by first thing to say hi on Saturday morning, as I'm showing him I brought books, some young kids come up, so I tell Bob to hang on to them and talk to the kids, I'll come back later.

See it coming? Yep I left him 3 bagged comics with tape on them! I Came back late in the day to discover 2 of them now sported tape pulls! (one was a real cherry copy of Archie & Me #3) He felt so bad, which made me feel much worse! He had a nice Little Archie sketch he did for me as an apology, but I assured him it was my fault, None of them were that valuable and I'm the old comics expert and should not of left him books with tape on the bags!

But since them we've shared a few super visits, that I wouldn't trade for anything!

:)

OK well I was getting comics delivered to my parents house recently because I hadn't gotten the mailbox installed at my new house (brand new construction). I drove by and happily picked up my newest acquisition but I had destroyed the packing box so much I had nothing to put it in. I was smart enough not to put it in the back seat area because I would be picking up the kids and that comic would have been history fast. I placed it under a box i had in the trunk that was fairly heavy...hmm that will keep it from flying around in the trunk I though. Picked up the woman and I was busy buckling the kids into booster seats and stuff, didn't realize she went around to pop the trunk. She schlepped a big piece of luggage into the box resting on top of the comic which shifted the whole box, ripped the cheap bag n board opened and tore the front cover off of my 1939 CENTAUR!!!!!!!

Ya want tape pull stories? Ya got tape pull stories!

Some years back I watched a dealer who should have known better pull a Batman 4 in F-VF out of the bag without removing the tape...and taking a solid dime sized piece of ink off the front cover. .

Wotta dumbarse.

He sent it in to Ciconne and she fixed it, but it is Now And Forever Restored.

As a 15 year old budding capitalist in 1986, when X-Factor 1 came out, I squirrelled away some extra dough and bought six or seven of the nicest copies I could find. I rode my bike to at least 4 different drug stores to cherry pick.

I had them laid out on the kitchen table that night, basking in their pristineness (?) and promptly spilled a huge tumbler of Coke onto them. Only two survived. At the time, I was absolutely inconsolable.

I got to admit this one actually made me laugh out load.

20 years ago, I spilled a "new" coke (yuck!) on a batch of early ASM (2-5)... quenched their thirst!

2 years ago, my son gashed a Detective 1 helping me slide (too agressively) it back into the mylay.... and, about the same time, the Crippen All Star 3 I bought had a mylar gash 3/4 of the cover off (again, sliding back into a mylar wrong)... since then, I CGC all my books for protection from, well, me lol