• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

Really, name one billionaire that collects comic books? I won't hold my breath.

With all the geeky internet multi-millionaires being created all the time, it is only a matter of time before one of these people turns out to be a comic fanatic. When that happens they will buy any comic they want, regardless of the cost.

I wouldnt grade it for 2 reasons.

If its worth 5 mill I wouldnt risk handling it what so ever.Would you?

AND FORGET TRANSIT ALL TOGETHER

And lastly, the mystique would be gone by certifying it.

HELL YES I would handle it. Id handle it to CGC then get it to Christies auction house as fast as I could. Would you trust anyone other than yourself to handle it? Besides the graders themselves?

You own one, do you let just anyone handle it?...doubtful. I mean you can only keep it under glass or in a some kind of controlled environment for so long before you say " Oh right I have a few million sitting there in a book, decaying "

As far as the mystique is concerned, that would be shot to hell if you accidentally dropped it.

Im curious now, is your copy raw?

I personally think it is a 1.5 million dollar book. Yes Amazing Fantasy 15 has doubled in price. But the fact remains that there is no public record of any comic ever selling for 1 million dollars ever. I truly believe that many of you would pay 5 million dollars if you had the money. But unfortunately you don't have the money. Fact is I don't think anyone in this hobby has that kind of money. Here is the thing. Rich people don't collect comics. It is not their culture. Rich people almost always hang out with rich people not poor people. Fellow rich people would laugh at a rich person spending 1 million dollars for a "Funny Book." Nick Cage was one of the few comic collectors that actually became rich. But in a very short time he sold off his collection. Why is that? Because he realized that the people he now hung out with could care less about that stuff. Seems like all a rich person cares about are trips around the world, partying, fine paintings, huge diamonds, gold, acquiring businesses, and the finest of cars. Everything else is meaningless to them.
If I remember correctly there was an article in Wizard a year or so ago about the time that Ghost Rider came out where Nick Cage was interviewed and I believe that he stated the reason he sold his collection was that his home was burglarized and his copy of Action 1 and Detective 27 were stolen.

Originally Posted By: homerwannabee
I personally think it is a 1.5 million dollar book. Yes Amazing Fantasy 15 has doubled in price. But the fact remains that there is no public record of any comic ever selling for 1 million dollars ever. I truly believe that many of you would pay 5 million dollars if you had the money. But unfortunately you don't have the money. Fact is I don't think anyone in this hobby has that kind of money. Here is the thing. Rich people don't collect comics. It is not their culture. Rich people almost always hang out with rich people not poor people. Fellow rich people would laugh at a rich person spending 1 million dollars for a "Funny Book." Nick Cage was one of the few comic collectors that actually became rich. But in a very short time he sold off his collection. Why is that? Because he realized that the people he now hung out with could care less about that stuff. Seems like all a rich person cares about are trips around the world, partying, fine paintings, huge diamonds, gold, acquiring businesses, and the finest of cars. Everything else is meaningless to them.
If I remember correctly there was an article in Wizard a year or so ago about the time that Ghost Rider came out where Nick Cage was interviewed and I believe that he stated the reason he sold his collection was that his home was burglarized and his copy of Action 1 and Detective 27 were stolen.

Cage was and is a die hard comic book fan. He named his kid Kal-el (Superman's Kryptonian name)

He sold his collection after his Action #1, Detective #27 and a Marvel Mystery (can't remember the #) in hi grade where stolen from a display showcase in his home during a big party. He got so ticked he got rid of everything. The books have never been recovered IIRC.

I have heard that he was thinking of getting back into it.

Anybody that says there are not enough buyers to buy the MH Action #1 for over $2 MIL has no clue. I would put money on it that if the book were 9.2/9.4 and unrestored (as the credible *rumor* goes) that it would easily fetch $5 MIL. It is the single most important book in comic book culture making it one of the most important pieces of American entertainment culture, period. There is not another book that comes close.

Geppi had a $1 MIL offer YEARS ago, when you could buy a AF #15 in 9.4 for what....$100,000?

Give me a break guys. There are probably just as many non comic people as there are comic people that would kill for a shot at this book. OF all the names we have heard...probably any one of them could come up with the cash overnight.

I personally think the best thing Dave Anderson could do is keep the book hidden all these years. People have seen it and veryified it's existence. Now people are dying to see it.

It's simple psychology.

R.

EDIT and no I would not CGC it. Why?

Well I learned something today...I always thought Anderson bought the Action 1 at one of the early Sotheby or Christies auctions for $ 125 K .Which copy was that? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I would assume most of the MH key copies are unslabbed.Why get them graded if you arent selling.The seasoned collectors know how to grade.If and when it becomes time to sell im reasonably sure it will be slabbed(ala AA 16).

Dennis

Why get them graded? Well I guess I was looking at it this way, because an insufficiently_thoughtful_person like myself might drop it. I suppose you can have it locked away somewhere, but I have to think if you have a 5 million dollar book, you dont mess around with it. You get the thing graded fast. Its like if you were to have the rarest coin in the world. Do you flip it through your fingers?
I suspect youre just kidding around, but why get a book graded if its not for sale? Protection isnt necessary, its perfectly safe and secure in a mylar under issues 2 thru 25 in a temperature controlled safe of some kind. Why would a plastic slab be a better place for it? Which would entail shipping or flying it down to Sarasota, to be handled more in an afternoon thaan it has been in a decade? get it?

I say $5M-$8M easy because where else are you going to find another copy of this magnitude. If it went to a true bidding war the type of buyer(s) interested would defintely shell out big dollars to acquire it. BTW did the Mile High AA#16 rumoured sale actually complete?

No, per the owner at San Diego. He sounded regretful that he had even slabbed book (might have been a marketing ploy, but that's what he said).

Well I learned something today...I always thought Anderson bought the Action 1 at one of the early Sotheby or Christies auctions for $ 125 K .Which copy was that? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) \(thumbs u

Nope. It happened per A1kid's description. Sothebys did sell a very nice copy (2nd or 3rd auction).

I personally think it is a 1.5 million dollar book. Yes Amazing Fantasy 15 has doubled in price. But the fact remains that there is no public record of any comic ever selling for 1 million dollars ever. I truly believe that many of you would pay 5 million dollars if you had the money. But unfortunately you don't have the money. Fact is I don't think anyone in this hobby has that kind of money. Here is the thing. Rich people don't collect comics. It is not their culture. Rich people almost always hang out with rich people not poor people. Fellow rich people would laugh at a rich person spending 1 million dollars for a "Funny Book." Nick Cage was one of the few comic collectors that actually became rich. But in a very short time he sold off his collection. Why is that? Because he realized that the people he now hung out with could care less about that stuff. Seems like all a rich person cares about are trips around the world, partying, fine paintings, and the finest of cars. Everything else is meaningless to them.

I disagree with just about everything you said ...but hey...that's OK \(thumbs u

If I had Cages money that book would be mine.If you had that much money why would you care about all the other rich people.It seems the uber rich did what they want not swayed by their buddies.Dennis

Eric Roberts (son of billionaire George Roberts of KKR, which by family makes him a "billionaire")

I can also probably name dozens and dozens of millionaires that collect comics...many right here on this board

this book would easily fetch $5million + IMO...

Eric Roberts (son of billionaire George Roberts of KKR, which by family makes him a "billionaire")

I can also probably name dozens and dozens of millionaires that collect comics...many right here on this board

Thanks gator. Finally we get an old guy to post with some sense. :devil:

For the record Eric Roberts owns the lone AF #15 CGC 9.6, a Detective #29 CGC 9.6, Batman #1 CGC 8.5, Action #1 CGC 6.5, Tales of Suspense #39 CGC 9.4, Detective #27 CGC 6.5 (iirc) and a few other gems. He's also a forum member here. Check out his gallery. It's nuts.

Originally Posted By: action1kid
I wouldnt grade it for 2 reasons.<br />If its worth 5 mill I wouldnt risk handling it what so ever.Would you?<br />AND FORGET TRANSIT ALL TOGETHER <br /><br />And lastly, the mystique would be gone by certifying it.

I see it as the opposite ..... please elaborate

Seems clear to me. (shrug) In order to have a "mystique", an object must be surrounded in mystery. One of the "mysteries" of this book is its technical grade. Part of what makes this book so interesting to talk about is that most of us have never seen it, so we have no way of actually knowing how nice it is, nor do we know for certain what kind of label it gets. Getting it certified puts to rest all the rumors and hearsay about how nice the book really is and what work was done to it, thereby taking away from its "mystique".This is THE book to have in our hobby, and nothing short of an unrestored NM copy miraculously surfacing is going to change that, but there's no doubt that what we don't know about the book adds to our fascination with it.