• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

seriously, the comics Dentist is a guy who has assembled one of (or the best) comics collections on the planet including the best known copies of Action 1, Detective 27, Batman 1 and Superman, and runs of these titles and all the rest, with a healthy sprinkling of MH copies throughout!

....and here he is \ photo taken at the Geppi Musuem Grand Opening.

He bought a rare #1 pulp from me on eBay a few years ago......nice guy

64526.jpg.a2e13beb241380db0d076b0a97532132.jpg

You know people keep on using the Honus Wagner is not well known and Superman is more popular so therefore Superman would be worth more. Tell me how come the most valuable Babe Ruth card does not go for more than Honus Wagner? If fame was the deciding factor in the price of something the highest priced Babe Ruth card should be 10 times as much as the most expensive Honus Wagner card. But the fact of the matter is that it's not.

yeah I made that exact point about three pages ago. People like to use selective arguments at times.

Yeah, but isn't this arguement different? What makes the Honus Wagner card so valueable. Somebody has yet to answer that for me.

This is a very rare book, in likely the highest existing grade, of the most popular character, from the greatest collection ever amassed.

(shrug)

yeah I made that exact point about three pages ago. People like to use selective arguments at times.

Yeah, but isn't this arguement different? What makes the Honus Wagner card so valueable. Somebody has yet to answer that for me.

This is a very rare book, in likely the highest existing grade, of the most popular character, from the greatest collection ever amassed.

(shrug)

From what I remember hearing as a previous baseball card collector, Honus Wagner was a big "anti smoking" advocate, and when he found out he had a baseball card being distributed randomly along with other players cards in packs of cigarettes, he demanded that his card be pulled ..... but some had already hit the streets.

Add the "Hall of Fame" factor, and the age / distribution method of the card, and it's a collectors dream scenario :cloud9: of extreme rarity and amazement ( that any cards survived / are known to exist at all, much less 1 copy that in our world would be considered condition wise, converted into comic book grading, VF/NM Unrestored with WHITE pages )

What makes the Honus Wagner card so valueable. Somebody has yet to answer that for me.

Geez Roy, all you have to do is run a search on these boards for "Honus Wagner" or "T-206". It's been discussed many times.

(shrug)

The answer is that the Honus Wagner card is exceedingly rare. Much more rare than Action #1.

What makes the Honus Wagner card so valueable. Somebody has yet to answer that for me.

Geez Roy, all you have to do is run a search on these boards for "Honus Wagner" or "T-206". It's been discussed many times.

(shrug)

The answer is that the Honus Wagner card is exceedingly rare. Much more rare than Action #1.

I'm not so sure its that much rarer. Baseball cards from any era survived in decent numbers. I was under the impression that about 100 wagners existed. Anybody that collects cards able to chime in here?

I know the backstory and that's rare relative to the other cards of the time. But that doesn't answer how many are out there. Most importantly, how much do you actually collect cards? I recall an earlier post (perhaps on this exact thread) saying there were numerous, if very ragged, examples out there.

(shrug)

Geez, you're right...it was my mistake to not do a search about a baseball card on a comic book chat forum. Sorry about that.

I did try and make myself useful by looking for the appropriate forum to ask about the Honus Wagner card too...maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

:makepoint:

Seriously though, I wanted somebody "in the know" to post about it here in this thread so the discussion could stay focused. Makes sense to me.

Not sure if you can hear me up on that horse up there.

:baiting:

I know the backstory and that's rare relative to the other cards of the time. But that doesn't answer how many are out there. Most importantly, how much do you actually collect cards? I recall an earlier post (perhaps on this exact thread) saying there were numerous, if very ragged, examples out there.

Wikipedia says 50-60 examples are known to exist, citing a 2007 L.A. Times article. :gossip:

EDIT: The above is in the "Honus Wagner" entry in Wikipedia...the "T-206 Honus Wagner" entry says 50 to 100.

EDIT 2: Just read the L.A. Times story which cites an estimate of 25 to 30 examples from one "expert", though earlier in the article it says "about 50".

(shrug)

From what I remember hearing as a previous baseball card collector, Honus Wagner was a big "anti smoking" advocate, and when he found out he had a baseball card being distributed randomly along with other players cards in packs of cigarettes, he demanded that his card be pulled ..... but some had already hit the streets.

Add the "Hall of Fame" factor, and the age / distribution method of the card, and it's a collectors dream scenario :cloud9: of extreme rarity and amazement ( that any cards survived / are known to exist at all, much less 1 copy that in our world would be considered condition wise, converted into comic book grading, VF/NM Unrestored with WHITE pages )

I think you mean 9.0 purple label TRIMMED :P

(its pretty widely accepted it was "made" in the not that distant past from an uncut sheet)

Wikipedia says 50-60 examples are known to exist, citing a 2007 L.A. Times article. :gossip:

EDIT: The above is in the "Honus Wagner" entry in Wikipedia...the "T-206 Honus Wagner" entry says 50 to 100.

EDIT 2: Just read the L.A. Times story which cites an estimate of 25 to 30 examples from one "expert", though earlier in the article it says "about 50".

Good stuff, thanks gene. So probably 50 or so, rarer than Action 1 but not by leaps and bounds.

Good stuff, thanks gene. So probably 50 or so, rarer than Action 1 but not by leaps and bounds.

What is the going theory on how many Action #1 there are...isn't it also around the 50 range?

R.

(shrug)

Because both the Action 1 and T206 Wagner have always been known as being extremely rare and the holy grails of the two hobbys. I think 50 copies has been offered for years as the approximate number of both in existence.

I still think that more people have heard of Superman than Wagner. Does that mean it's worth more. I don't think anybody knows for sure. At least not until the dentist decides to sell. But I do think it would certainly sell for a comparable price of the T206 (2.8M). Or probably more.

BTW - Honus Wagner was the first GREAT shortstop and a first inductee HOFer. Most knowledgeable baseball people AND baseball card collectors have certainly heard of him. And the card. Not saying that Babe Ruth, Ty Cobb, etc., etc. are not more well known. Just lots of history with this card.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T206_Honus_Wagner

I just did some quick research on the Ruth rookie. If this is true the card collectors REALLY have some 'splainin' to do because if its really this rare they have their priorities screwed up big time! :P

Answer

The Babe Ruth rookie card was issued in 1914 by the Baltimore News. One sold at an auction in 2005 for $243,000. There are only 9 of these cards known to exist. Ruth played for the then minor league team, the Baltimore Orioles of the International League, during his rookie year. He was later sold to the Boston Red Sox, then sold again to the NY Yankees because the owner of the Red Sox needed money to finance a Broadway show.

Babe Ruth Rookie Card

A 1914 Babe Ruth rookie baseball card, just the tenth card of its kind to be discovered sold at auction on May 5, 2008 for the price of $517,000. The card was produced by the Baltimore Sun Newspaper. In an auction held in 2007 the Babe Ruth Baltimore News card sold for $200,000.

For more information on this Babe Ruth Rookie card, and other baseball memorabilia news see Related Links below.

(shrug)

Geez, you're right...it was my mistake to not do a search about a baseball card on a comic book chat forum. Sorry about that.

I did try and make myself useful by looking for the appropriate forum to ask about the Honus Wagner card too...maybe someone can point me in the right direction?

:makepoint:

Seriously though, I wanted somebody "in the know" to post about it here in this thread so the discussion could stay focused. Makes sense to me.

Not sure if you can hear me up on that horse up there.

:baiting:

There are supposedly less than 100 Wagner cards in exsistence. However, there are two different ones as well. On the back of the Wagner card is the tobacco company's name. One was Piedmont, the other was sweet corporal. The piedmont one is more rare then the sweet corporal. The PSA 8 Wagner card is a piedmont, presumably making even more rarer than rare (did i phrase that right??)

Now, i do think an Action #1 should sell for more than the Wagner, because Superman is more Globally known. For example, if you ask someone in China or any other country who Superman is, im sure they would know. If you ask someone anywhere in the world who Honus Wagner is, i think very, very few people would know.

I also dont think you would have super-mega millionaires bidding on Action #1. Here is my thinking, and its just my opinion so dont yell at me. If a really, really wealthy person wanted to have Action #1, just for the sake of having it, why wouldnt they have bought the Wagner card all the times it was for sale. The Wagner card has made headlines on news channels and has been spoken about on talk shows for the past 20 years and it has more of a following than an Action #1.

I priced the Action #1 at $3-4 million. Sure it can go higher if you got the right bidders, but i think that is a safe assessment in my opinion.

Hey Roy, a couple of good websites to go to are the chat rooms at Beckett.com or Net54.com Net54 actually have dinners and stuff like here as they had one at the National Sportscard convention earlier this month (where a PSA 5 Wagner Card sold for $1.6 million). I am not a member of either but something tells me that if you asked a general question like "what is a Honus Wagner T-206 card?" you might get some wiseguy answers. Kinda like if someone from there, came over here and asked "Whats the big deal about Superman??".

Anyhow, my two cents, just going from memory here.

Jeff (whew, this might have been my longest post yet)