• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

There is only one old-time ball player's name that anyone needs to know and that is George Herman Ruth.

That's a pretty indefensible argument.

I would agree - but Mantles are actually easier to sell.

There are always a market for Mantle cards or memorabilia. I got a couple of cards stashed away. I had his cards from the late 50's, early 60's but sold them when i was younger. So young, never thought of the long term. :(

Do any of you card guys think that as time goes by Mantles will lose some of their appeal?

He really was a great ballplayer, but so much of the mystique was in actually being there and seeing him play. I don't think his incredible popularity will translate to the stat driven next generation of sports collectors. His cards will always be the benchmark by which collectors gauge other cards, but will the gap continue to be as wide as it has been?

Go check the World Series records Richard

- he did it when it mattered

I don't disagree. But there was such an aura around Mantle. New Yorkers worshipped him. Hell, all of America worshipped him, even Yankee haters. And all at the same time that the baseball card industry was exploding in popularity. A ton of the value in Mantle cards is directly attributed to the cult of personality that surrounded him when those cards came out. There is no doubt that Mays and Aaron were his equals or better on the ball field but they didn't have the mystique that Mantle did. I am not knocking him, I am just thinking that that mystique will be hard to explain to a whole generation of thirteen year olds whose dads weren't even old enough to see him play.

If the Wagner card is the equivalent of Action #1, then the Mantle rookie card is the equivalent of AF #15 and Mantle cards in general are the equivalent of ASM. The values of both are much higher than the supply fundamentals would indicate, and in both cases it's because there is an emotionally-driven demand curve that is off the scale.

As to WHY people are so emotionally attached to a lifelong drunk who got a liver transplant when the liver could have gone to a deserving recipient is another question. He wasn't even the best player of his era.

This is an excerpt from the last Robert Edwards Auction when one sold earlier this year. I was wrong, it is the Sweet Corporal one that is more rare.

It is always exciting when a new T206 find is uncovered, but the discovery of a new T206 Wagner is an extremely rare event, especially at this late date after all the publicity that the card has received for so many decades. There hasn't been a new Wagner discovered in years. This really is the ultimate baseball card story: that someone should be looking through their attic to find old things to sell, find a box of baseball cards, and learn that it includes a newly discovered example of card collecting's greatest treasure. It just doesn't happen. But it happened here, and it is very exciting for Robert Edward Auctions to be a part of it. The Wagner card, like all the cards in the collection, has an advertisement for Sweet Caporal Cigarettes on the back. Sweet Caporal was clearly the grandfather's brand of choice, and it is very fortunate that this was the case, as all but two or three of the approximately fifty known examples of the T206 Wagner have a Sweet Caporal back.

Unless I'm missing something, what this says is that the Sweet Caporal is NOT the rare back. Therefore, it is the Pidemont that is the rare back.

As to WHY people are so emotionally attached to a lifelong drunk who got a liver transplant when the liver could have gone to a deserving recipient is another question. He wasn't even the best player of his era.

dont dis the Mick! He was a tragic hero. The hero we deserved. The key to Mantles life, and his self-destruction, was his father. His dad, Mutt, died at 39 or 40 from a disease I cant remember. Mickey then, deduced he too would only live til 39. So he decided to live it up.

Later on as his body was showing the effects of his squandered talents, he lamented that "If Id known I was gonna live this long I woulda taken better care of myself." A real "d'oh, I coulda had a V8! moment

seriously though, I dont think many boomers and younger guys ever really can appreciate how great and exciting Mantle was as a player. He was slowing down by 1963 when half the boomers were still under 10. Sure he was stil the revered Mickey Mantle, but he was more likely to strikeout than hit it out by then, or hobble around the bases when he did.

if an action #1 in 9.2 or 9.4, i don't care which one.........if it would come up for sale, and if it was the Mile high....name your price.....list it on a broker site...esp one with zero % commission or a flexible one....for like 10 million, i'd say that's reasonable.

most likely the best in existence....seems like a bargain. if a 2.5 sells for 100K+ blue label, a 4.5 300K plus.... 1 million seems OK for like 6.5+ so, how could the best NM range not sell for at least 5 Million...tell me ???

there are over 100 Wagner cards, probably not the same for un-restored Actions #1s.

after all McCain said he doesn't consider anyone is rich , if they have less than 5 Million.

10 million for a NM range Action #1 un-restored ...A-OK.

1-2+ million if it's gets an 8.0 after restoration is removed, if there was any.....

:sumo:

Mantle is a tragic hero, and an American sports icon, FACT! so haters move to the back of the line. Now, to ascertain why people are so emotionally attached to these BOARDS...now that's a more interesting question?

Emotions, booze, and comics are a formidable combination? :shrug:

if an action #1 in 9.2 or 9.4, i don't care which one.........if it would come up for sale, and if it was the Mile high....name your price.....list it on a broker site...esp one with zero % commission or a flexible one....for like 10 million, i'd say that's reasonable.

most likely the best in existence....seems like a bargain. if a 2.5 sells for 100K+ blue label, a 4.5 300K plus.... 1 million seems OK for like 6.5+ so, how could the best NM range not sell for at least 5 Million...tell me ???

there are over 100 Wagner cards, probably not the same for un-restored Actions #1s.

after all McCain said he doesn't consider anyone is rich , if they have less than 5 Million.

10 million for a NM range Action #1 un-restored ...A-OK.

1-2+ million if it's gets an 8.0 after restoration is removed, if there was any.....

:sumo:

Metropolis would probably pay a mil for it. Action1kid would probably do some serious fund raising also. There are others with valuable collections who may also be willing to liquidate everything for that book at one million.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

from my very quick research it seems the opinion is that almost all of the wagner cards have been worked on in one way or another too

that may be what the Action 1 needs before it will break one million. a famous buyer.

Nicholas Cage anyone?

don't need anyone famous...for an unrestored NM Action 1, I would pony up more than $1,000,000 and I am not famous (shrug)

that may be what the Action 1 needs before it will break one million. a famous buyer.

Nicholas Cage anyone?

don't need anyone famous...for an unrestored NM Action 1, I would pony up more than $1,000,000 and I am not famous (shrug)

(worship)

$25,000 in 1985.

He overpaid :insane:

In actual fact, based upon my past conversations with him, he was also in complete agreement with your opinion.

This was back in the very early 80's and Chuck was the first dealer to really seriously ask for multiples to guide for his books. He felt the Church books were of such exceptional quality that they warranted the multiple. This was a relatively new concept at the time and as a result, it took years for Chuck to sell some of the Church books.

I believe the Action #1 was more than double guide which Dave thought was a really outrageous price at the time. So yes, he thought he had overpaid for the book at the time!

$25,000 in 1985.

He overpaid :insane:

In actual fact, based upon my past conversations with him, he was also in complete agreement with your opinion.

This was back in the very early 80's and Chuck was the first dealer to really seriously ask for multiples to guide for his books. He felt the Church books were of such exceptional quality that they warranted the multiple. This was a relatively new concept at the time and as a result, it took years for Chuck to sell some of the Church books.

I believe the Action #1 was more than double guide which Dave thought was a really outrageous price at the time. So yes, he thought he had overpaid for the book at the time!

I doubt Dave ever dreamed it would come to this...probably figured he could recoup his money someday if he had to...maybe double it.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u