• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

that may be what the Action 1 needs before it will break one million. a famous buyer.

Nicholas Cage anyone?

don't need anyone famous...for an unrestored NM Action 1, I would pony up more than $1,000,000 and I am not famous (shrug)

Ditto, but mine will be in monopoly money :acclaim:

1) I believe Dave would have paid 50K, or what ever it took and that the thought that the 25K price tag was a "years salary" never entered into his or Snyder's or Chucks non-macro-economic mind. Thats just hindsight analysis. $25K was just the round number figure 5x Guide thing as usual. He paid what it took to get the book(s)... he was doing better than the "average salary" anyway... his reward was in having the guts to pay top dollar. He felt that the best copy of the first Superman appearance was worth a lot more than 25K in time. He was right.

Of course no one really does the how many years' salary analysis (except maybe for Gene :baiting:). They look at Guide, figure out the multiples to Guide, any applicable benchmarks, etc. It was never an affordability issue, just an "is it worth it" issue. Do you think DA would have paid $50K, or do you know this because he told you or it was well known afterwards he was laughing to his buddies that he would have paid JS way more?

Considering how much flak he got for paying $25K, and the fact that lots of sophisticated collectors wouldn't have been surprised if his investment had tanked afterwards, I seriously have a hard time believing he would have been willing to pay double that amount. At the end of the day, everyone has their limit based on sense of value, even if they can afford it. Just because I could AFFORD to pay $25 for a Big Mac doesn't mean I'm willing to.

Aman;

I would probably agree with Tim here and say that it would have been very difficult for Dave to fork over $50K for the Church Action #1 at the time. After all, $50K would have been 5X guide for a big dollar book in a market environment that was not used to seeing even double guide valuations.

As for Dave's annual income at the time, it should be noted that these would not have been his prime earning years. If I am correct, this was around when Dave first came out of school and just started to work. As a matter of fact, he told me that a lot of his initial purchases were done using credit cards as the companies saw him as a good target since he had just completed dental school. He gladly opened up the accounts in order to fund the purchases he could never afford when he was in school.

Although Dave understood the importance of an Action #1, I doubt that he would have gone to $50K as he already thought the $25K was a stretch, and a figure that he thought was going to take the market several more years to catch up to. hm

probably right about this. I'll just say that when I said 50K I just doubled the 25 to come up with that figure. So perhaps he would have done 30, or 35 etc but choked at 50. Then again, Chuck must have thought getting the 25 was a grand slam, so he never imagined asking for more..

anyway, I was sugesting that while 25 was crazy at the time, that Dave wanted the book and most certainly felt it would have ben worth some more... who knows how much would have been too much.

don't need anyone famous...for an unrestored NM Action 1, I would pony up more than $1,000,000 and I am not famous (shrug)

:o You are now!!

RHG, I suspect you would be in the hunt, as well (thumbs u ...no way an unrestored NM (9.2) would "only" go for that, but if it did :cloud9:

RHG, I suspect you would be in the hunt, as well (thumbs u ...no way an unrestored NM (9.2) would "only" go for that, but if it did :cloud9:

Hell, for only $1 million for an unrestored NM Action 1, even I would empty the bank accounts.

In 2002 he averaged 1 mill in total comp.... per day, for the year. You really think it would make much difference to him, or his lifestyle, if the price was 2 million or 12 million for the Action # 1?

You're asking the wrong question. In this new gilded age, there is no shortage of people who could, in theory, pay $2 million or even $12 million for a comic book. The right questions to ask are, "do any of these people collect comic books", "would any of them spend $2 million or $12 million for a comic book" and "are there at least two of these people who would bid up the price to that level". Unless the answer to all of these is "yes", all this talk about people who "could" pay countless millions for the MH Action #1 or another comic book is just mental masturbation. hm:juggle:

In 2002 he averaged 1 mill in total comp.... per day, for the year. You really think it would make much difference to him, or his lifestyle, if the price was 2 million or 12 million for the Action # 1?

You're asking the wrong question. In this new gilded age, there is no shortage of people who could, in theory, pay $2 million or even $12 million for a comic book. The right questions to ask are, "do any of these people collect comic books", "would any of them spend $2 million or $12 million for a comic book" and "are there at least two of these people who would bid up the price to that level". Unless the answer to all of these is "yes", all this talk about people who "could" pay countless millions for the MH Action #1 or another comic book is just mental masturbation. hm:juggle:

If cocaine is mental masterbation (and I always heard that), then what's it called if you're snorting AND reading an Action #1 ???

Hell, for only $1 million for an unrestored NM Action 1, even I would empty the bank accounts.

that was my point... it won't take anyone famous, there are dozens of folks on this board that could do that :baiting:

If cocaine is mental masterbation (and I always heard that), then what's it called if you're snorting AND reading an Action #1 ???

heavenly bliss (shrug)

Like your wife would let you. :baiting:

She would if I told her I could flip it the next day for $2 million! :grin:

that was my point... it won't take anyone famous, there are dozens of folks on this board that could do that :baiting:

...mortgage the 'ole homestead, sell the cars at Blue book, sell off the mutual funds, empty the savings & money markets, cash in the early retirements (what the hell...pay the 10% penalty), sell off the FF1, liquidate the bank stocks, sell the guns (yes, even the Weatherby Custom Deluxe), sell the gold Blancpain watch...

Geez, are we close yet !!!!!!

...mortgage the 'ole homestead, sell the cars at Blue book, sell off the mutual funds, empty the savings & money markets, cash in the early retirements (what the hell...pay the 10% penalty), sell off the FF1, liquidate the bank stocks, sell the guns (yes, even the Weatherby Custom Deluxe), sell the gold Blancpain watch...

I have 4 kids, figure I can get a quarter mil each for them easy :insane:

You know, there are likely a few boardies that could and would take a run at this book at 1 MIL, and there are at least a handful of others that could do the same outside the boards. I'm going to stick to my guns and say this book sells for no less than $5 MIL.

Would John Verzyl take a shot at this book? Anyone? He owns most of the Church Timely books as well as a few other big ones. I'd love for Eric Roberts to chime in here...I know he is here from time to time as well.

R.

I have 4 kids, figure I can get a quarter mil each for them easy :insane:

lol:signfunny: