• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vote - How much would ACTION #1 Dentist Copy sell for in an auction?

In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?  

717 members have voted

1. 1. In a well advertised Sotheby's auction, what would be the winning bid for ACTION #1 Dentist Copy (including buyers premium)?

410 posts in this topic

I just did some quick research on the Ruth rookie. If this is true the card collectors REALLY have some 'splainin' to do because if its really this rare they have their priorities screwed up big time! :P

Answer

The Babe Ruth rookie card was issued in 1914 by the Baltimore News. One sold at an auction in 2005 for $243,000. There are only 9 of these cards known to exist. Ruth played for the then minor league team, the Baltimore Orioles of the International League, during his rookie year. He was later sold to the Boston Red Sox, then sold again to the NY Yankees because the owner of the Red Sox needed money to finance a Broadway show.

Babe Ruth Rookie Card

A 1914 Babe Ruth rookie baseball card, just the tenth card of its kind to be discovered sold at auction on May 5, 2008 for the price of $517,000. The card was produced by the Baltimore Sun Newspaper. In an auction held in 2007 the Babe Ruth Baltimore News card sold for $200,000.

For more information on this Babe Ruth Rookie card, and other baseball memorabilia news see Related Links below.

That is what i said earlier. When you think baseball, Babe Ruth comes to mind, not Honus Wagner. This card cant be more than 5 years since it was first discovered because i do not remember this card growing up. A Babe Ruth ROOKIE!! and doesnt go for nearly as much as Wagner. I dont know.

well if the wagner was way rarer I could (maybe but not really) understand.

Yet, the Ruth is 5x rarer????

Messed up!!

Agreed (thumbs u Maybe its because of all the years of coverage the Wagner card got since it was cut from that sheet in 1985.

Messed up!!

I think this is a case of "the Grail" in whatever hobby we are talking about, not having the "ultimate" set of characterisitics when broken down and analyzed, but it is still the Grail, none the less.

A great example is Action #1 .......

not the rarest

not the oldest

Superman not the most popular comic character

not the best cover art

not the best interior art

not the most condition sensitive

no the most sparsely distributed

.....yet, it is the Grail, none the less!

and/or the strong hints of market manipulation around the card ;)

All of the hints and large number of sales of the card in the past twenty years sure make it look like an expensive game of hot potato to me. I mean, if the action 1 MH sold tomorrow, does anybody think it would regularly be for sale every couple/few years? I sure don't.

Messed up!!

I think this is a case of "the Grail" in whatever hobby we are talking about, not having the "ultimate" set of characterisitics when broken down and analyzed, but it is still the Grail, none the less.

A great example is Action #1 .......

not the rarest

not the oldest

Superman not the most popular comic character

not the best cover art

not the best interior art

not the most condition sensitive

no the most sparsely distributed

.....yet, it is the Grail, none the less!

Bah. I am not a card collector but at face value I think it is an example of extreme stupidity and/or market manipulation. There is only one old-time ball player's name that anyone needs to know and that is George Herman Ruth.

yeah I made that exact point about three pages ago. People like to use selective arguments at times.

Yeah, but isn't this arguement different? What makes the Honus Wagner card so valueable. Somebody has yet to answer that for me.

This is a very rare book, in likely the highest existing grade, of the most popular character, from the greatest collection ever amassed.

(shrug)

From what I remember hearing as a previous baseball card collector, Honus Wagner was a big "anti smoking" advocate, and when he found out he had a baseball card being distributed randomly along with other players cards in packs of cigarettes, he demanded that his card be pulled ..... but some had already hit the streets.

Add the "Hall of Fame" factor, and the age / distribution method of the card, and it's a collectors dream scenario :cloud9: of extreme rarity and amazement ( that any cards survived / are known to exist at all, much less 1 copy that in our world would be considered condition wise, converted into comic book grading, VF/NM Unrestored with WHITE pages )

I think you mean 9.0 purple label TRIMMED :P

(its pretty widely accepted it was "made" in the not that distant past from an uncut sheet)

Steve,

The tobacco story was likely made up to cover his demand for money.My guess anyway.A later issue leaf card showing him as a coach had him pictured with a mouth full of chew.So he either changed his mind completely or it was just a cover story.

Dennis

There is only one old-time ball player's name that anyone needs to know and that is George Herman Ruth.

What about knowing the name Barry Bonds? :whistle:

Craig Biggio! :sumo:

There is only one old-time ball player's name that anyone needs to know and that is George Herman Ruth.

He's from Long Island :grin:

Not anymore. (thumbs u

yeah I made that exact point about three pages ago. People like to use selective arguments at times.

Yeah, but isn't this arguement different? What makes the Honus Wagner card so valueable. Somebody has yet to answer that for me.

This is a very rare book, in likely the highest existing grade, of the most popular character, from the greatest collection ever amassed.

(shrug)

From what I remember hearing as a previous baseball card collector, Honus Wagner was a big "anti smoking" advocate, and when he found out he had a baseball card being distributed randomly along with other players cards in packs of cigarettes, he demanded that his card be pulled ..... but some had already hit the streets.

Add the "Hall of Fame" factor, and the age / distribution method of the card, and it's a collectors dream scenario :cloud9: of extreme rarity and amazement ( that any cards survived / are known to exist at all, much less 1 copy that in our world would be considered condition wise, converted into comic book grading, VF/NM Unrestored with WHITE pages )

(its pretty widely accepted it was "made" in the not that distant past from an uncut sheet)

Steve,

The tobacco story was likely made up to cover his demand for money.My guess anyway.A later issue leaf card showing him as a coach had him pictured with a mouth full of chew.So he either changed his mind completely or it was just a cover story.

Dennis

Yeah i have heard that story too. They produced the card without his permission, much like they did everyone else, then gave each player a little taste as gratitude. Wagner, rumor has it, thought he was worth more than Joe Schmo and the company wouldnt, or couldnt give him what he wanted, so they pulled his card. There is another card of him as manager with a big wad of chew.

Not anymore. (thumbs u

I know, i know. He's an Astro, not a new yorker anymore.

That's a pretty indefensible argument.

Not anymore. (thumbs u

I know, i know. He's an Astro, not a new yorker anymore.

He is coaching an area high school baseball team (St. Thomas), and donating his salary back to the school. Just a very cool thing to do.

(shrug)

Steve,

Dennis

Regardless of the reasons he did what he did, and I for one believe the money theory, they soon stopped printing the card...hince the scarcity.

And as far as the Ruth cards goes...who knows , it may surpass the Wagner one day. BUT, it's a regional giveaway card and LOTS of collectors collect the T206 series of cards. So another reason for it's value. Demand.

And as concerns backs (another whole story with T206s here) - Sweet Caporals are only slightly tougher to find than Piedmont. Both are the most common backs found.

Everytime the McNall/Gretzky copy has sold (which is only a few times) it has brought a record price.

Educate yourself. Link below.

http://t206museum.com/page/index.html

(shrug)

Steve,

Dennis

Regardless of the reasons he did what he did, and I for one believe the money theory, they soon stopped printing the card...hince the scarcity.

And as far as the Ruth cards goes...who knows , it may surpass the Wagner one day. BUT, it's a regional giveaway card and LOTS of collectors collect the T206 series of cards. So another reason for it's value. Demand.

And as concerns backs (another whole story with T206s here) - Sweet Caporals are only slightly tougher to find than Piedmont. Both are the most common backs found.

Everytime the McNall/Gretzky copy has sold (which is only a few times) it has brought a record price.

Educate yourself. Link below.

http://t206museum.com/page/index.html

Every auction site, book i read, states the piedmont is more scarce. That could be bs too as im sure if a sweet corporal in a higher grade than a PSA 8 would fetch more or just the same. Or maybe not, maybe they would go down in value. who knows.

That's a pretty indefensible argument.

I would agree - but Mantles are actually easier to sell.

There are always a market for Mantle cards or memorabilia. I got a couple of cards stashed away. I had his cards from the late 50's, early 60's but sold them when i was younger. So young, never thought of the long term. :(