• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoldenAge of ComicBook Collecting?

18 posts in this topic

This may or may not have been posted before, but would you agree that what all of us comic collectors are witnessing is the pinnacle of the hobbie.With the 1) internet. 2) professionally graded comics. 3) Entertainment companys marketing of comics. 4) online auctions.Would you concur......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Sure, why not. I've been collecting since the early 1960's and the accessability of comics has simply never been greater. Also, the information about comics history, creators, cover scans, etc., has never been as easy to acquire as it is today. Enjoy . . . smile.gif

This may or may not have been posted before, but would you agree that what all of us comic collectors are witnessing is the pinnacle of the hobbie.With the 1) internet. 2) professionally graded comics. 3) Entertainment companys marketing of comics. 4) online auctions.Would you concur......... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif
thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gifhi.gifpopcorn.gif

Actually I have to dissent here. It may be the pinnacle of the hobby for now - but I was using computers many years before the internet existed (started computing in 1979) and, yes, the internet was/is an amazing thing. But I have to wonder what is next in store. The internet is still in its infancy: awkward and difficult to control.

I would say we are reaching either the "current pinnacle" or a "whisper of what is to come". But 10 or 20 years from now? 30, 40, 50, 100 years from now? The year 12,417? Who knows what will be in the offing.

But I DO agree that we have not had it better than now! thumbsup2.gif

There is certainly no doubt that it is much easier to find books these days than ever before, no matter where you live.

The internet opens up previously unatainable possibilities in the collecting field and for this reason I, and I'm sure many others have a much more diverse collection than they used to. thumbsup2.gif

I will be honest to say that most of what I have bought this pass few years has been through the internet in regrads to graded and silverage key books.I don't have the time or resources to go to the big comic-cons in the U.S.A. so the advent of the net. has opened alot of doors for me as a collector of books I like to get.

thumbsup2.gifcloud9.gif

Yep! and it really jumps with this great forum.... You forgot to mention the Registry... I think this will really take off!

Its no wonder people have forgot the Registry - it has taken forever to get where they are now (which isn't much), and there is soooo many more series they need to add. 893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif893frustrated.gif

sign-rantpost.gif

Maybe not so much a pinnacle as a plateau. I think right now the way things are will continue until the next innovation. Perhaps CGC coming to your house to grade books out of the back of a van. Steve B. in the back of the van ready to grade his heart out. Of course Gemma might be in the passenger seat to make sure everything is going well. Oh yeah Arch/Dena might be there to make sure you don't get out of line.

cloud9.gif

I agree fullheartedly...

I have bought nearly 7.000 comics online the last few years, 90% of these haven been bought abroad, only a tiny fraction domestically. I have never bought a single Silver or Bronze book from a seller or dealer in person...

I can honestly say that if it hadn't been for the internet, and more specifically Ebay and this board I would not be collecting comics today thumbsup2.gif

I agree fullheartedly...

I have bought nearly 7.000 comics online the last few years, 90% of these haven been bought abroad, only a tiny fraction domestically. I have never bought a single Silver or Bronze book from a seller or dealer in person...

I can honestly say that if it hadn't been for the internet, and more specifically Ebay and this board I would not be collecting comics today thumbsup2.gif

I wonder what the next five to ten years of our hobby will look like in trems of the comicbook and collecting...maybe "Downloaded Comics" and less pulp...... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

By the way I like your avatar....... 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

In some ways I agree that we're in the midst of the Golden Age of comic book collecting, and in other ways I disagree...

Yes, all of the advantages such as global markets and CGC and the Internet lend themselves to collecting comic books. It's much easier today to find and purchase a particular back issue in a particular grade, for example.

But 25 years ago, the hobby was considerably more 'innocent' - books were cheaper, dealers were (for the most part) more passionate about the actual materials (the books themselves) they were selling, prices were of course far lower, and no one was fixated on condition. Oh, and literally everyone who collected did so because they loved comic books and comic book characters.

I think you could just as easily argue that the real Golden Age of collecting occured 25 years ago...

In some ways I agree that we're in the midst of the Golden Age of comic book collecting, and in other ways I disagree...

Yes, all of the advantages such as global markets and CGC and the Internet lend themselves to collecting comic books. It's much easier today to find and purchase a particular back issue in a particular grade, for example.

But 25 years ago, the hobby was considerably more 'innocent' - books were cheaper, dealers were (for the most part) more passionate about the actual materials (the books themselves) they were selling, prices were of course far lower, and no one was fixated on condition. Oh, and literally everyone who collected did so because they loved comic books and comic book characters.

I think you could just as easily argue that the real Golden Age of collecting occured 25 years ago...

893applaud-thumb.gif

I think Garth nailed this one right on the head here. I think as far as being able to find the books you are seeking, this is such a great age, with the internet facilitating contact with collectors and dealers all over the world.

But, I also agree with the point that it seemed like people were more passionate about the comics 20-25 years ago, when everyone actually read them, caring about the stories, characters, etc, and didn't just worry about finding the highest

grade copy they could find, and putting it in a plastic slab. It's not a knock against anyone. I like to have high grade copies of comics myself. It just seems like there's a smaller percentage of collectors who collect books because they like to actually read them.

But, I guess it's not really fair to compare then and now, because the demographics of the hobby have changed so much.