• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UPDATED! So...A Local Used Book Shop Apparently Has a Basement Full of Comics...

23 posts in this topic

While wandering my neighborhood I kept passing a nice (but cluttered) used book store that was always closed while I passed by. In the sign on the window they mentioned comic books.

I finally caught the place open and I asked the guy if they had any comic books. I had my 2 year old son with me (see my avatar) and he asks me if they are for him or the collector types that are kept in bags (?). I told him I'm looking for the kind for both of us. He goes on to tell me that the basement has tons of comics from the 50s - 70s, though the owner isn't in to show me them. He calls her on the phone and yadda, yadda, I'm leaving here in 10 minutes to go check out what she has.

My initial guess is low grade westerns from the 50s, low grade TOS and TTAs from the late 60s and low grade Archies from the 70s.

I hope I'm VERY wrong. I'll keep you all posted!

Good luck David! Nothing more fun then driving somewhere mulling over the prospects of things unkown. Of course only to find out it was not what you had hoped for. :(

I remember driving by a used bookstore years ago when I first started collecting and seeing a comic in the window so I stop and walk in to se a wall of comics behind the register. Spidey Annuals FF's JIM's etc, all Marvel, and not in HG but I was new to the hobby and thought I hit the jackpot.

I might go back there to see whats left after all these years.

Hope your experience was a good one David, even if the books turn out to be duds, it is all part of there experience of being a collector.

So...I'm back!

The basement full of comics turned out to be this:

d1.jpg

She explained that the comics had been picked through a while ago but I was more than welcome to go through them again. She told me they were at the back of the basement.

Here was the comic "section":

d12.jpg

Around 5 longboxes total of about half crud: One whole longbox of decent shape French language Marvels, low grade silver FFs and high grade issues in the 160-190 range (might go back for these), a bunch of 90s crud, and the rest was LOTS of fun to look through.

My haul: Watchmen #1 (the only issue I didn't have) solid 9.4, Giant Size Invaders #1 9.6 candidate (the book had never been opened!), FF 52 in good, a French edition of CAptain Americe 241 (hard to find), All-Star Squadron #1 (I always wanted one but never picked one up) and a cool Underground called DTS by David Geiser (1st print...waiting for info on it from a resident board UG expert).

d13.jpg

All for $15. :takeit:

Hmmm... would this place happen to be in Lasalle? If so, I scored a pile of WATCHMEN and DK RETURNS there last summer - messy place with a pile of supposed comics in the basement... Lady wouldn't let me see anything down there...

Good for you!

Anything else of "interest" left over?

Looks like a good place for a Great White concert.

Their guitar player is HOT!

Hmmm... would this place happen to be in Lasalle? If so, I scored a pile of WATCHMEN and DK RETURNS there last summer - messy place with a pile of supposed comics in the basement... Lady wouldn't let me see anything down there...

Good for you!

Anything else of "interest" left over?

Yup...that's the place!

Not much left over though I'm going back next weeekend and try to pick up the longbox of French books. Besides that...blah. Maybe the FFs if she'll give me a good price on them.

Still a fun find!