• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone ever think of selling it all?

22 posts in this topic

I know people have sold off comic collections in the past and started over years later. Has anyone ever thought of selling off their art collection? I've been giving it a little bit of thought lately and branching off with other non comic pursuits. Will it happen? Probably not, but the though has crossed my mind.

I've sold my comic collection a couple of times already and my 2 piece art collection once :insane: , but havent even considered selling the stuff I have now... with that said everything has a price

I sell and trade some pieces, but keep the core collection together. Mainly getting rid of stuff that I bought not knowing any better.

Yeah, after I caught the initial bug in mid-'05, and went through that first 12 - 18 months getting my feet wet in the hobby, I very nearly bailed out entirely. The art was expensive and becoming moreso every day. The competitive and profit driven nature of the hobby gave me more agita than it was worth.

But I stuck around because I dig the art. I just had to check most of my obsession and ambition at the door. I find it really easy to become despondent because I can't afford the art I really want in terms of quality or volume, but I'm working on just treasuring what I'm lucky enough to have. I feel semi retired at this point, looking to acquire only around 1-2 pieces a year.

Don't think I'll ever sell it all if I didn't back then. Just needed an attitude readjustment.

My problem is I have two many things going. I love comics, I love OA, yet I love my 1969 Mustang as well. I have been half-azz restoring it for a few years and then my youngest was born 2 years ago and its been sitting in the garage ever since. I want to get it on the road , but no longer have the time so I have been thinking of sending off for restoration, not cheap, I'm looking at 10-13,000 to do what I want. I figured if I sold my art I could get a huge jumpstart on getting the car done.

My problem is I have two many things going. I love comics, I love OA, yet I love my 1969 Mustang as well. I have been half-azz restoring it for a few years and then my youngest was born 2 years ago and its been sitting in the garage ever since. I want to get it on the road , but no longer have the time so I have been thinking of sending off for restoration, not cheap, I'm looking at 10-13,000 to do what I want. I figured if I sold my art I could get a huge jumpstart on getting the car done.

Sell the art and fix the car! I tell ya, I live in So Cal and I love my art but driving my 68 Vette on the PCH on a sunny day is freakin awesome! It's a restomod but it is my baby.

64666.jpg.737c3f9e3f1dd75cec597f0b3bd09b2e.jpg

64667.jpg.d2d149626f574cd99e5672aff84c9149.jpg

I have never thought of selling my artwork other than pages I acquired early on that don't fit into my current collecting goals. I have considered selling off a large part of my comic collection which I have actually started to do. In 09, I plan to CGC a couple of hundered books to sell off, and then continue that trend over the next few years. I don't plan to put all the money into OA, I am saving up for my auto dream.

Sell the art and fix the car! I tell ya, I live in So Cal and I love my art but driving my 68 Vette on the PCH on a sunny day is freakin awesome! It's a restomod but it is my baby.

Beautiful Car!!!

Well, there are times I look at my mortgage statement and consider how much could be paid off if I sell my collection slowly to maximise the prices I could realize............

Once. But then I realized it was stupid. I remembered when I sold off my comic collection about a year ago and how much remorse I felt. Plus with OA it has a more collectors pull to it being one of a kind and all.

Well, there are times I look at my mortgage statement and consider how much could be paid off if I sell my collection slowly to maximise the prices I could realize............

Very recently I've started having a very similar train of thought myself (Hi Weng), what between the thought of it making serious inroads into my mortgage and the fact that there are peeps in this hobby that make you want to rip out your hair.....

A year ago the very thought would have been anathema to me. The reservation is of course that if I sold up I'd likely never be able to get back in without the help of the lottery. And on the good days I do still love the stuff to bits :headbang:

Joseph

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=9492

When my collecting focus shifted from panel pages to (mostly) covers, I sold my remaining complete EC stiories (with some other pieces) and paid-off my mortgage . . . got married . . . had a superb honeymoon . . . and tied-up a few loose ends.

The life-changing sale was worthwhile . . . and none of my major pieces were affected. Still have lots of great art to keep me happy . . . and my wife's happy for me to carry on with my hobby. :)

Next major sale is likely to come when retirement looms (and I want to uproot and move to somewhere picturesque). hm

I sold a good portion of my personal comic collection to help fund the purchase of our first house. I did the same with the remainder when we moved into the house we're in now. I've never regretted doing it. Comics are a dime a dozen. Art, however, is a completely different situation.

I don't have an enormous collection, and what I do have I am deeply attached to. There are only a few pieces that I would seriously consider selling, and I'd only do so if it I was in dire straits and needed the money. It's not like comics, where you can sell a 9.4 slab and get one just like it a year later if you want. Once you sell a piece of art, it could go into a collection and stay there for years or decades.

I will admit that when I came close to losing some pieces in the house fire we had, I thought about giving up some of my collection because I felt that pieces of historically significant comic art should be in a bloody museum, not in some collectors house where they could fall victim to, well, a house fire.

:tonofbricks:

However, that was an initial emotional response. I didn't seriously think about selling anything.

Because I know I could probably never get back any of the pieces I have if I sold them, it would be very difficult for me to let any of them go. (shrug)

--Steve

I'm thinking of doing it now

Why? Finding that elusive cover to Ion 1 taking too long? :baiting:

I'm looking at buying a home.

I'd rather gut my entire collection and and not look back than slice it apart piece by piece

I just did. I sold it all except for two pieces which are framed and on the wall. Prices kept getting higher and higher for stuff I wanted which made me realize that I wasn't spending money on stuff I really wanted anymore or if there was something I wanted I kept weighing spending the money on that piece of art or stuff I can buy and use and enjoy everyday instead of store away. I also just bought a Corvette and there are other things I'd rather spend my money on at the moment. Not to mention starting a small business so the money is useful at the moment. I don't regret it one bit.