• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened to...Robert Roter? (etc.)

30 posts in this topic

Has anyone talked to him lately? His site hasn't been updated in 3+ years. I bought from him in the mid-late 90s. He had a sweet display at San Diego in 95 or 96. His prices were the highest during the early 2000s. He was a tough bidder on Ebay in the early years.

I wonder if he is out of the hobby completely?

Roter was a nice enough guy away from comics. But he was the world champion haggler when it came to buying books at shows.

I don't mind folks making an offer, but he took it to a ridiculous level. A long story, but I eventually had to ask him not to come by my booth ever again.

Roter was a nice enough guy away from comics. But he was the world champion haggler when it came to buying books at shows.

I don't mind folks making an offer, but he took it to a ridiculous level. A long story, but I eventually had to ask him not to come by my booth ever again.

Would have loved to be a fly on that wall.

in the article, Roter says that that Action 1 is the third best copy. MH is #1, . So which copy is #2 do you think? Since thats the 8.5 on the census, its still raw somewhere.

Or maybe he got his facts mixed up.

He still owns lots of PC books and periodically will sell them privately or list them on CL or Heritage.

Or sometimes he will do both. I've got it on good authority that he will negotiate in private with you, then after getting your best offer, and acknowledging that your offer is fair, he'll tell you he's still going to list the books on CL and use your best offer as his minimum. That way, if someone else is willing to pay more, he can use your best offer as a stalking horse and make more money for himself, and if no one else is willing to pay more, he'll sell it to you for your original best offer price. It's all win-win for Roter, and he just can't seem to understand why the buyer wasn't too happy with this arrangement.

It's pretty amusing to read this, given that when it came to SELLING books, Roter was like the Rock of Gibraltar and unwilling to move an iota.

I wouldn't do business with Roter if he was selling an action 1 in NM for $50,000... simple as that....he is a crook, and rips folks off, and should be shunned by the hobby (if they only knew)... end of my rant, and no futher details will be given, unless I am asked to testify in court

...testify in court! :baiting:

No, your opinion is worth a bit around here, and just the comments from the other guys have given me nasty goosebumps all over as it's all too easy to see what sort of guy he is when it comes to dealing in the funny books.

Shame really.

Oh do tell , Rich. :/

Just give us the short version .....