• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Craigslist & Comic Sellers

18 posts in this topic

From time to time I run a search for comics on Craigslist, hoping to find a local garage sale with books to unload or people selling their stuff for cheap.

Seems like 95% of the time it's people trying to get rich with their SDCC free Warner Bros bags or they are selling their "really old, mint condition comics.. most are from the 90s, some from the 80s!"

I often :screwy:doh! at some of the listings of people trying to make $50 with their McFarlane "Spider-Man #1 in mint condition, even comes with plastic bad and cardboard!"

Came across this post/listing there and got a good laugh. (I assume the ASM 266 example was a typo?). Not my post, but I it echoes my feelings towards craigslist sellers. Long, but fun.

Hello good sirs,

You've probably decided its time to sell your "super old" comics and want to knwo what they are worth. Well, here is a simple of the value of your comics. If they are from 1975 to now, odds are they are worth at most $1. (And the only comic store in San Diego that buys them only pays 10 cents a piece for them) Thats all, one dollar. There are of coarse exeptions, the are:

Spider-Man 300

Spider-Man 266

X-Men 266

Here is a list of books most people think are worth money, but are in fact worth less then the paper they are printed on:

Death of Superman

Spawn 1

Wildcats 1

X-Men 1 (jim lee)

they unfortunately, are not worth more than $1. No matter how "mint" "Gem mint" "prestine" "great" "Excellent" or the fact that they are in the "original plastics" which doesnt make any sense, they didnt come with plastics, so how are they original?, its like saying "the coffee came with original cream".

So please don't be that guy, you know, the guy whos trying to sell 400 comics that arent worth more than $40 to a store and technically around $400 to a person, but lets face it, if theyre on craigslist theyre not gonna pay u $400.

And if you don't believe me now you will in a week when no one buys your "great" collection of 90's comics that everyone else already has, you can then call around and sell them to a shop and cut your losses.

Hope this helps

From time to time I run a search for comics on Craigslist, hoping to find a local garage sale with books to unload or people selling their stuff for cheap.

Seems like 95% of the time it's people trying to get rich with their SDCC free Warner Bros bags or they are selling their "really old, mint condition comics.. most are from the 90s, some from the 80s!"

I often :screwy:doh! at some of the listings of people trying to make $50 with their McFarlane "Spider-Man #1 in mint condition, even comes with plastic bad and cardboard!"

Came across this post/listing there and got a good laugh. (I assume the ASM 266 example was a typo?). Not my post, but I it echoes my feelings towards craigslist sellers. Long, but fun.

Hello good sirs,

You've probably decided its time to sell your "super old" comics and want to knwo what they are worth. Well, here is a simple of the value of your comics. If they are from 1975 to now, odds are they are worth at most $1. (And the only comic store in San Diego that buys them only pays 10 cents a piece for them) Thats all, one dollar. There are of coarse exeptions, the are:

Spider-Man 300

Spider-Man 266

X-Men 266

Here is a list of books most people think are worth money, but are in fact worth less then the paper they are printed on:

Death of Superman

Spawn 1

Wildcats 1

X-Men 1 (jim lee)

they unfortunately, are not worth more than $1. No matter how "mint" "Gem mint" "prestine" "great" "Excellent" or the fact that they are in the "original plastics" which doesnt make any sense, they didnt come with plastics, so how are they original?, its like saying "the coffee came with original cream".

So please don't be that guy, you know, the guy whos trying to sell 400 comics that arent worth more than $40 to a store and technically around $400 to a person, but lets face it, if theyre on craigslist theyre not gonna pay u $400.

And if you don't believe me now you will in a week when no one buys your "great" collection of 90's comics that everyone else already has, you can then call around and sell them to a shop and cut your losses.

Hope this helps

I couldn`t have put it in better words myself, most comics 1975 and up are worthless for money value, so don`t worry about buying bags and boards for them(a waste of money), actually read them then roll then up and put them in your back pocket.

I couldn`t have put it in better words myself, most comics 1975 and up are worthless for money value, so don`t worry about buying bags and boards for them(a waste of money), actually read them then roll then up and put them in your back pocket.

yes! Everyone do that!

*Schmakt quietly puts his moderns in mylar*

:)

spawn 1 isn't worthless. actually, it might be worth more than cover price!

a friend of mine unloaded about 15,000 90's drek comics to one guy for 17 cents each via craig's list.

and the 1975 = $1 estimate goes back way too far. sharp raw copies of most mainstream marvels up through the 70's (and for Spidey and X-Men into the early 80s) are going to do better than that, for the most part. "from the last 20-25 years" may be more accurate. and while it may not seem like a lot to only sell it for $3-$5...remember, that's 10-15X cover price for a lot of them. that's also pushing a grand for a long box of them!

Unless you slab 'em, if you're selling on CL, I agree with the $1 back to 1975 for most comics. Remember, most of those back in the late 70's have been read at least once and are not going to do better than 9.0.

Agreed some people just don`t want to believe that most comics 1975 and up are maybe less than a $1.00 dollar a piece. the bags and boards are probally worth more.some people holding on to moldy, smelly, yellow books for over 30 years and thier not worth much.

Oh no, according to this I overpaid by $49.00 for a VF/NM ASM #300 found on CRAIGSLIST the other day...

Actually, I posed as one of these dreamers a few months "trying" to sell early nineties drekk on CRAIGSLIST, asking for thousands of dollars or a car in exchange for multiple SHADOWHAWK #1, etc...

Someone actually replied to my ad.

Hah!

I'll take almost any NM Marvel or DC comic from 1975-1977 for a buck. Hell, 2 bucks.

Link :hi:(shrug)

Actually I sold a lot of 70's horror books (30-40 cent price tags) for about $2 each on ebay of all places. I'm guessing the movie/book comics aren't all the rage.

the movie stuff is pretty tempting at that price, although a couple of guys who do shows here seem to have a lot of them in bulk for $2 a pop as well. i actually did sell a decent copy of the War of the Worlds one for like $5 a little after the movie came out.

I'll take almost any NM Marvel or DC comic from 1975-1977 for a buck. Hell, 2 bucks.

Link :hi:(shrug)

Actually I sold a lot of 70's horror books (30-40 cent price tags) for about $2 each on ebay of all places. I'm guessing the movie/book comics aren't all the rage.

That's why I said almost......still a great deal though.

Craigslist is my favorite place to look for comics if I want a laugh.

Here's my favorite listing from this week:

WE KNOW WHAT THEY ARE WORTH!

lol

I spent about 2 months emailing a guy back and forth on Craigslist about a group of GA war comics he wanted to sell. In the end, he had a friend who apparently is an "expert" when it comes to grading and determining value on his $5 - $20 G/VG condition books. According to his friend, all of his books were in excellent condition and worth several hundred dollars each. doh!

To be fair, he did have a copy of OAAW #2, but the cover had tons of creases and was loose and had an extra staple in it. It was in G/VG at best. He said he would sell it to me for $500 which was less than his friend said it was worth. He said if I wasn't interested, his friend was going to take them to an auction house in Chicago to sell for him. I told him best of luck with selling his comics.

He's emailed me a couple more times since then with more "deals".