• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

No more James Jean Fables covers starting with 82. =(

38 posts in this topic

End of an era right there. (worship)

And an end to any chance I might have had at owning an original. doh!

Well, I don't think it's a huge surprise given the direction his work has been taking and the upcoming gallery show but after passing the 75 mark I think we might have assumed 100 to be the next landmark.

I hardly think it's impossible to get a Fables cover (with about 88 covers out there) but it probably *is* the last chance to get one direct from JJ.

Very glad to have scored both of mine though (smug bstard) :D

Joseph

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=9492

Well, you could pop over to Process Recess and buy the cover to #78 right now. :)

He's had a great run. So many gems in the 90 or so covers he's done and a great legacy.

Gee, wonder why 79 sold before 78. hm

79 would have been an appropriate looking one to end on. (on Process Recess now)

Jon's not wrong tho, it was an amazing run.

Joseph

A quality finished JJ piece isn't something I can easily afford. Buying one would be a once in a lifetime sorta thing. The cover I purchased would need to be one that my wife and I truly loved. The 78, while nice, doesn't make the grade.

We were hoping to have the cash set aside by the time the mid 80s rolled around and then have some time to pick the right one. I too figured he'd make it to 100. Ah well. Maybe I can get that AF 15 I've always wanted. =p

Well don't give up hope -- plenty of great covers out there and they'll move around from time to time. Once the run ends, you could even identify your favorites and put out feelers. A beautiful piece of art (and of course JJ's art straddles the line between comic and fine art) that's near and dear to your heart is always worth going to the mat for...

I really :cloud9: James Jean's Fables covers. They are fine fantasy art. Even his rock n roll cd cover art pencils for the Donnas are choice.

Not sure why my LCS is dumping his Fables back issues into the 4 for $1 bin now. Guess fans prefer the trade paperbacks with tremendous wraparound Jean covers?

What news! JJ has definitely had a good run. Shame there isn't going to be more Fables stuff.

You've got two more covers to buy direct from JJ. The good ones tend to sell pretty much on the day they hit processrecess.com so keep checking it out constantly.

#78 is such a freaky cover. But his prices are on the up and up. So that will sell eventually. #68 was available at $5k for at least a month or more before it sold.

I shudder to imagine what his fine art stuff will go for at the show next year. I'd imagine many pieces in the $10k mark. OUCH!

DKB, don't burn your money on the AF #15 yet. Save up and do a search on CAF for JJ covers. Make offers on covers that people currently own. You never know. You might get a seller who needs to raise $$$.

Good luck.

Some of the best cover work out there. I'm curious who will (dare) pick up the baton after Jean.

I think that the prices for his work reflected both his talent and the popularity of the series. Or am I wrong? Did the JJ Green Arrow/Batgirl covers also fall somewhere within the $6K price range?

I wish him well.

You've got two more covers to buy direct from JJ. The good ones tend to sell pretty much on the day they hit processrecess.com so keep checking it out constantly.

I always figured the good ones pre-sold before they ever hit PR.com. I've only ever seen the 68 and now this one actually be buyable.

Some of the best cover work out there. I'm curious who will (dare) pick up the baton after Jean.

I think that the prices for his work reflected both his talent and the popularity of the series. Or am I wrong? Did the JJ Green Arrow/Batgirl covers also fall somewhere within the $6K price range?

I wish him well.

JJ Green Arrow covers were much cheaper. Early days when he did Superhero stuff. Some were painted, many were pencil only. You could have snagged those for $1-2k back in the day. :-)

...once James has his show, the prices will rise again.

If his show isn't comic book-oriented, I disagree. I just don't believe that traditional fine arts success (i.e., unrelated to comics) translates into higher prices for comic covers.

Although I own a few pieces of fine art, my interest is in comic art. I'd love a Jeff Jones' IDYL page but have significantly less interest in his "grown-up" paintings. A nude with her back to us? Another landscape? Yawn.

And would I pay more for an IDYL page just because Jones' has a "fine arts" show? Nope.

As his fine art appreciates, so will most of his comic covers, the reason being that unlike most comic covers, there's nothing comicy about most of his Fables work. You could take half the Fables covers, throw them in a gallery, and the common passer-by would have no idea they had anything to do with comics.

As his fine art appreciates, so will most of his comic covers, the reason being that unlike most comic covers, there's nothing comicy about most of his Fables work. You could take half the Fables covers, throw them in a gallery, and the common passer-by would have no idea they had anything to do with comics.

I am curious to see what kind of pricing his fine art will command at his NY gallery show...that will be the deciding factor.

If the prices are very high and the paintings do sell, some fine art collectors could very well aim at some of his Fables work if they look cheap in comparison...

We'll see :popcorn:

Anybody heard which of the Galleries he's talking with. There are a TON of the indie art galleries out there and having bought a piece or two from them, I know they are spread all over the place. In L.A. and N.Y. there are several big ones, and most of the larger named guys and gals whose work appears in these galleries often spread it around among several, depending on the show type.

Or he may bypass the up and coming indie fine arts crowd entirely and jump right up to the top of that pile with folks like Mark Ryden and Camille Rose Garcia. He's on a similar career trajectory for sure. Last piece of theirs I saw actually for sale at a gallery was one of Garcia's. Sized at approx 10"x14". Not her best work for sure but still kinda cool. Asking price? $12,500.

I passed and it sold the next day to somebody. At her show from 2 years ago, a very similar piece could be had for $1,500-2,000. She, like Ryden before her, and Rob't. Wms. before that, has risen quickly after being discovered by her earlier commercial works.

There's money to be made by certain artists for sure, if they successfully make that transition and name for themselves as an innovator. From a strictly personal standpoint, I completely understand what Jean's likely shooting for here. Many of us were inspired by and love comics, but wanted to go to art school to create our own type of art and pursue our own dreams and vision. How amazing is the thought of being able to pick and choose what work you want to do, and to forge your own way forward?

And yes fanboys, believe it or not, some people do see the world reflected by art outside of comics as a worthy and moving experience. ;)

I say good for Jean. Sux for me. Wish I'd nabbed those Batgirl pieces when I had a chance to!

-e.