• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Opinions on my scanning

37 posts in this topic

I've spent some time and research to figure out the best way to scan my CGC comics, magazines and other odd format books in my collection (treasuries, tabloids, etc). I thought it might be useful to share some of the insights with the boards, but my main reason for posting is to get your feedback.

I went out and purchased a multi-function copier/scanner/printer/fax in one. The make is Brother and the model is MFC-6490CW. I paid $269 (plus taxes) with store rebate. It really is a well built and designed piece of equipment. I struggled with the idea of buying a mult-function device because of size, but ultimately the decision landed squarely on the fact that the platen area on this device is "11 x 17." I would have preferred a flatbed, but comparable scanners in this platen category were in the 2-3K, and one equipped with an 8.5 x 14 started at about $750.

I know there are decent flatbeds offered through HP and Microtek, but for some reason, they were all special orders, and exceeded the $300 mark.

I'm quite happy overall with the way this machine scans, but wanted to get your opinions on how the below compares with some of the scans you've seen. I will also mention that these scans are taken at a 600x600 dpi setting, with the only settings applied being auto-contrast, sharpening mask, and resizing of the image. I wanted to make sure whatever scanner I got, I wouldn't have to play around too much to get looking right; anyhow, these are the results (your opinions are much appreciated):

Conan_1_85_CGC_box.jpg

3D_EC_Class_no1_75_CGC_box.jpg

Mister_Mystery_no18_CGC_45_sized.jpg

64857.jpg.d7b481f33fc899141068fb61af23a95e.jpg

64858.jpg.57ccfeaca8d431ee2111c1a0810b2cae.jpg

64859.jpg.71bb6268ca58907b8126a1dabc416119.jpg

Jo, the colors are good but the scans are not very sharp. I would say that if you plan on selling any big books, a big scan would be helpful and make your sales look more professional.

R.

Thanks Roy - the size is not an issue (I've posted them this size for user-friendly viewing purposes), but the blurry part I haven't yet been able to figure out. This is the fourth scanner I've owned, and unless someone has a post-scanning technique they can share to correct the lens blur, I don't think I can do much else. (shrug)

Jo, *I think* the blur is caused by the type of bulb in the scanner and the type of software the scanner uses. As with all things you get what you pay for and you likely will not be able to get a better scan of a CGC holder without going to a more expensive scanner.

From what I understand, what happens is that the light is not strong enough to penetrate the plastic (and distance that the book is from the glass) in a CGC holder. I'll be your scanner does raw books really well though because the book sits right on the glass.

I've been researching scanners (and saving $$) for a while now and plan on getting a more expensive one unless I luck across a good used one. A couple of hundered $$ is not a lot to spend to make your business (or 2nd business) look ultra professional IMO.

R.

The new style LED type scanner lights suck for any item suspended above the glass. It doesn't have any focal length and slabs are fuzzy.

Old style flourescent bulb type scanners lights work well with slabs.

It doesn't have to be expensive. I picked up a used legal sized Microtek on ebay for $12. Not exactly a "space saving model'" but it gets the job done...

WeirdScience-Fantasy15CGCSS96.jpg

It doesn't have to be expensive. I picked up a used legal sized Microtek on ebay for $12. Not exactly a "space saving model'" but it gets the job done...

I must try eBay for a Microtek as the $298 Amazon price is, unfortunately, more than I can spend on a scanner.

I need to get one of those also. Wonder if they have scanners at Costco? Sure makes your comics view nicely......Thanks for starting thread

The new style LED type scanner lights suck for any item suspended above the glass. It doesn't have any focal length and slabs are fuzzy.

I'm very partial to this train of thought... I own a fairly new HP scanner which sucks for slabs, but I also have my scsi HP flatbed scanner which I bought in 1997 for over $1000 (back when scsi interface was the fastest thing out there), the decade old one is miles better, no glare, fantastic true colours and all the works...too bad it weighs a ton, is larger than my PC and need to hook it up to a PC which still has a SCSI interface card every time I want to use it.

There must be cheap-as-chips old scanners on ebay or swapmeets that work perfectly...

I'm very partial to this train of thought... I own a fairly new HP scanner which sucks for slabs, but I also have my scsi HP flatbed scanner which I bought in 1997 for over $1000 (back when scsi interface was the fastest thing out there), the decade old one is miles better, no glare, fantastic true colours and all the works...too bad it weighs a ton, is larger than my PC and need to hook it up to a PC which still has a SCSI interface card every time I want to use it.

There must be cheap-as-chips old scanners on ebay or swapmeets that work perfectly...

:signfunny:

I appreciate all the feedback (Roy, Steve) - and a lot of what you say makes sense. What doesn't jive is how to strike that balance. Its either a limitation on hardware or software, and sometimes both. I just moved into a new area and thankfully there are some of the bigger retailers that provide a good selection. I understand the ergonomic aspect as this machine I just bought is really pushing it in terms of space. Two of my old scanners had the old bulbs, but the platen area would cut off the scans.

The other thing is that they didn't do the job all that well because the slab wouldn't sit flat (raised), and in many cases, the light was too strong and would reflect and produce glares on the scans. What appeals to me more is having a device that I can use to scan multiple sizes and formats, and while I love the quality of some of the scans others have posted, I'm not going to have a scanner shipped (I'm the same way with monitors) and I don't find the scans all that bad.

I managed to make some changes in the settings and while the results aren't perfect, for me, this is a huge step up from piecing together two horrible images into a frankenscan, and much preferred over a camera shot. While the point of seeming professional is an important one, the problem is only with about a hundred or so slabbed books (3rd-party opinion should matter for something), its one step towards proving I have the book in-hand and didn't swipe the image from the Web, and the problem gets resolved once I liquidate my entire collection.

MrNat_3_98_CGC_box.jpg

That looks great!

what model is it ?

That looks great!

what model is it ?

:popcorn:

That looks great!

what model is it ?

:popcorn:

Microtek Scanmaker X6el

Didn't turn up any hits on eBay.

Keep looking. With the scanner, shipping and SCSI cable... it all came out to about 30 bucks.

Sure, it's kinda big, but it makes beautiful, bright, crisp scans. The little slimline LED scanners can't compare.