• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men #110 Original art

50 posts in this topic

So, let me get this straight; you got a steal on this page but did not steal it.... hmmm are we splitting hairs? Maybe, maybe not. Who set the price? Did you negotiate? Alot of questions here. You don't seem to know values but are sure that the page you bought is worth much more than you paid. And, now you want our help in determining values on a couple of covers that you can go back and 'steal' from this seller again. No thanks! If you want to keep tapping your 'treasure trove', my advice is to use your own valuations and your own sense of ethics. There is probably more to your story, or less, but I choose not to play.... DF hm

Sheesh....you guys are like sharks hovering in the water waiting for the bloody bait to be dropped in. :eek:

So, let me get this straight; you got a steal on this page but did not steal it.... hmmm are we splitting hairs? Maybe, maybe not.

I'm not going to tell you the exact price I paid for it. Let's just say it's between $100 and $500.

Who set the price? I ended up paying a little less than what the seller was originally asking. And no, HE didn't steal it either. He's an older guy closing up an old collectibles shop.

Did you negotiate? Yes, just answered that one.

You don't seem to know values but are sure that the page you bought is worth much more than you paid.

I knew it was worth more than I paid for it but didn't know exactly what it was worth. That's why I made this post. :makepoint:

And, now you want our help in determining values on a couple of covers that you can go back and 'steal' from this seller again. No thanks!

I don't think I want YOUR help with ANYTHING! :mad:

If you want to keep tapping your 'treasure trove', my advice is to use your own valuations and your own sense of ethics.

I certainly don't need your advice on how I deal with this guy. I only wanted to know what the art was worth. Was that too difficult of a question for you? :frustrated:

There is probably more to your story, or less, but I choose not to play.... DF hm

Good. Go play elsewhere!

I wouldn't say the guys on here are being mean, I used to think the same thing when I started posting, but it is more of 'ribbing' than anything else.

I'm glad you got a good deal on the page, and if this is the start of your OA addiction, it is better to start by getting a good deal on a page. If you can get more pages or covers at a decent price, more power to you. I say this, as long as the gentleman is setting the price, which it sounds like he is. Just remember to be fair... Which is a good topic for the boards...when do you not take advantage of a seller when an obvious mispricing is present?

My advice to you is use all the resources you can to estimate what pages are worth in future collecting pursuits: (in no particular order of importance) eBay, Heritage auction results, dealer website pricing, Comic Art Fans Classifieds, conversations with fellow hobbyists...etc. I myself look at so many sources and talk to a ton of people who collect the same runs that I do, that I usually have a decent idea what a page is worth. Talking with fellow collectors privately yields the most beneficial info and pieces.

Why do you guys need to be so mean ? Original poster was asking a very fair and reasoable question.

Not really. Asking FMV BEFORE he bought the book would be fair and reasonable. Doing it afterward seems to be either suspicious or gloating.

If I had known I was going to get a bunch of answers like this I probably wouldn't even have posted anything. The scenario is simply this: I purchased this piece of original art at a bargain basement price and I may be able to get my hands on some more. BTW: While we're at it, anyone care to estimate the approximate value of the original art to the covers of Invaders #40 or Defenders #63?

Because this is my 1st piece of original art I wasn't sure of it's approximate value. I knew it had to be worth much more than I paid for it, so I simply wanted to find out it's approximate value. That's all.

Now I want to go back and buy more. :banana:

Shark

congrats on the find and good luck getting more. Sour grapes on this thread? Because surely none of the rest of you have ever been so base as to buy something for what you thought was a good deal?

Now it may just be me but if someone buys to keep I have more sympathy for paying bargin prices than when the "collector" buys it to resell it the very next day. My stomach turned when I heard of the dealer who went to Curt Cobain's grandfather living in a trailer and bought all the artwork that he owned for pennies on the dollar just to flip it the next day. If it was a devoted fan who bought the artwork then I don't think that would bother me. The other posters here giving you a hard time may feel the same way.

Are you asking as a buyer or a seller?

By asking what it is worth some may wonder what your intentions are. Perhaps you are taking advantage of an old timer who doesn't know that the market has gone up as much as it did in the past few years only to flip it to the same people you are now asking advice from on it's market value. If you think about that for a second you may see why they may not be as helpful as you would like them to be.

Sour grapes? Perhaps a bit of that too. I don't know the people here individually well enough to know why the feel the way they do.

Nice score. You definitely got it below FMV.

It's easy enough to get values from CAF, past ebay auctions etc. While I don't appreciate that you're using the board to get FMV so that you can potentially flip these pieces...it's a free world.

Anyone else living in Illoinois? It might be worth looking out for old collectibles stores going out of business. :roflmao:

Why do you guys need to be so mean ? Original poster was asking a very fair and reasoable question.

Not really. Asking FMV BEFORE he bought the book would be fair and reasonable. Doing it afterward seems to be either suspicious or gloating.

If I had known I was going to get a bunch of answers like this I probably wouldn't even have posted anything. The scenario is simply this: I purchased this piece of original art at a bargain basement price and I may be able to get my hands on some more. BTW: While we're at it, anyone care to estimate the approximate value of the original art to the covers of Invaders #40 or Defenders #63?

Because this is my 1st piece of original art I wasn't sure of it's approximate value. I knew it had to be worth much more than I paid for it, so I simply wanted to find out it's approximate value. That's all.

Now I want to go back and buy more. :banana:

Shark

congrats on the find and good luck getting more. Sour grapes on this thread? Because surely none of the rest of you have ever been so base as to buy something for what you thought was a good deal?

Not to mention the fact that it seems a large percentage of OA collectors are just elitist azzholes.

Not to mention the fact that it seems a large percentage of OA collectors are just elitist azzholes.

Pardon me, would you have any Grey Poupon? lol

:popcorn:

128373407878013750GreyPouponI.jpg

FYI, it is from a fill in issue and by DeZuniga so to my eyes worth a bit less than if ti were by Cockrum or Byrne

Credits:

Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (page one); Tony DeZuniga (Pencils), Tony DeZuniga (Inks), Andy Yanchus (Colors), Annette Kawecki (Letters).

Not sure what you paid but worth $Ks on any case

FYI, it is from a fill in issue and by DeZuniga so to my eyes worth a bit less than if ti were by Cockrum or Byrne

Credits:

Chris Claremont (-script), Dave Cockrum (page one); Tony DeZuniga (Pencils), Tony DeZuniga (Inks), Andy Yanchus (Colors), Annette Kawecki (Letters).

Not sure what you paid but worth $Ks on any case

Where were you able to obtain this kind of information? Website?

Shark