• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thoughts on this Captain Marvel Adv #17

19 posts in this topic

That is one of Rich Evan's (Bedrock City) favorite books so maybe he will chime in...though not today likely as it is Wednesday (new comic day).

Fawcetts are increasing in popularity...they are priced well compared to DC and Timely GA, have some terrific stories, even better covers, and CMA was the biggest selling title of the majority of early to mid 40's. It outsold any of the Superman titles. It wasn't when DC hammerd Fawcett with their lawsuit that they were able to put down Fawcett for good and take over.

Great cover. I'm not partial to blue/green but that sure is iconic.

R.

That is one of Rich Evan's (Bedrock City) favorite books so maybe he will chime in...though not today likely as it is Wednesday (new comic day).

Fawcetts are increasing in popularity...they are priced well compared to DC and Timely GA, have some terrific stories, even better covers, and CMA was the biggest selling title of the majority of early to mid 40's. It outsold any of the Superman titles. It wasn't when DC hammerd Fawcett with their lawsuit that they were able to put down Fawcett for good and take over.

Great cover. I'm not partial to blue/green but that sure is iconic.

R.

richard is getting ready to get on a plane from Vegas to TX, so I agree with roy, he likely can't chime in today!

but, Cma 17 is one of my favs, and Ron P (redbeard) is also one of my fav's, so sounds like a win/win...go for it

What condition was your copy in? Cap 17 and 18 are both awesome covers when you compare them to other covers of the time.

It's an 8.5.

was that my old 8.5 with the stray felt tip pen mark on the spine that cgc "slight color touched'?

What condition was your copy in? Cap 17 and 18 are both awesome covers when you compare them to other covers of the time.

It's an 8.5.

was that my old 8.5 with the stray felt tip pen mark on the spine that cgc "slight color touched'?

Nope, this was a blue label that I bought off eBay earlier in the year.

Well, I purchased it! Thanks for everyone's input.

Metro has about 4 copies ranging from F/VF to VF++ but I didn't want to lay that kind of money down just yet.

I'm a Superman/Action Comics nut and that's been my primary focus for many years, but recently I purchased a bunch of Fawcett's (Whiz, Cap Jr, Marvel Family) for a decent price and I was stunned when I got the books. The artwork, stories, history behind the character and the DC lawsuit is really interesting.

It's an 8.5.

mine was a blue label too.... had a note of "very slight color touch"?

there is only 1 8.5 in the census, so had to of been my old copy...I sold on clink, and the new owner sold on ebay, then I guess you got it, then to parker lol

It's an 8.5.

there is only 1 8.5 in the census, so had to of been my old copy...I sold on clink, and the new owner sold on ebay, then I guess you got it, then to parker lol

doh! I'm an airhead. Yes, it's your copy...

captainmarvel17.jpg

It's an 8.5.

captainmarvel17.jpg

that is it...and, if you look under the bottom staple, where the lowest missile seems to be heading, you will see the black "color touch" mark I made :cry:

Just FYI, in the future it's probably advisable not to start a thread about a book you are considering for purchase, as someone else (not necessarily a forumite) can read the thread and jump in and scoop you on it.

That said, glad you got it...enjoy! :applause:

It's an 8.5.

captainmarvel17.jpg

that is it...and, if you look under the bottom staple, where the lowest missile seems to be heading, you will see the black "color touch" mark I made :cry:

So it's just a defect but treated as if it's super minor resto that fits within criteria for a Blue Label.

Just FYI, in the future it's probably advisable not to start a thread about a book you are considering for purchase, as someone else (not necessarily a forumite) can read the thread and jump in and scoop you on it.

That said, glad you got it...enjoy! :applause:

I thought about that...the way I saw it, if I was beaten to it I would have convinced myself to splurge on a nicer copy somewhere else

but, Cma 17 is one of my favs, and Ron P (redbeard) is also one of my fav's, so sounds like a win/win...go for it

(thumbs u

Ron's is great to deal with. You'll be happy with the book from him.