• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Invincible Appreciation Thread
5 5

3,489 posts in this topic

:bump: just because

Still haven't finished compendium one (shame me)

Honestly I feel like it goes downhill from there. Some interesting see stories with supporting cast, but its become decompressed enough to be worthy of a marvel event.

I personally like Compendium 2 better. 50-77 is probably my favorite run of the series. Conquest is by far my favorite arc. Ottley hits his stride and keeps improving in #2.

I feel like there were great story beats in there, but it suffered from "event syndrome" so badly. Honestly the only thing that kept me reading for the longest time was the backstory of Monster Girl and Robot. It's a shame because it was one of my favorite books. I feel like this and walking dead have both suffered from their success unfortunately.

Hey you posted that before I had a chance. I'm picking it up from Chris on Thursday.

Apologies (worship) I'm a big fan of Chris! I bought the OA for the 98 variant cover. He is such lovely fellow, he sent me a load of signed comics with it along with a few prints and a sketch of Alana and Marko from SAGA.

Hey you posted that before I had a chance. I'm picking it up from Chris on Thursday.

Apologies (worship) I'm a big fan of Chris! I bought the OA for the 98 variant cover. He is such lovely fellow, he sent me a load of signed comics with it along with a few prints and a sketch of Alana and Marko from SAGA.

He has done a few sketches for me. He did an Invincible last week and I asked about having him do this. He has done a couple of sketches in my sons sketch book too. He is genuinely one of the nicest guys to sit and chat with.

I personally like Compendium 2 better. 50-77 is probably my favorite run of the series. Conquest is by far my favorite arc. Ottley hits his stride and keeps improving in #2.

I feel like there were great story beats in there, but it suffered from "event syndrome" so badly. Honestly the only thing that kept me reading for the longest time was the backstory of Monster Girl and Robot. It's a shame because it was one of my favorite books. I feel like this and walking dead have both suffered from their success unfortunately.

I disagree.

Invincible had longer story arcs like Conquest and the Viltrumite War for sure; however, the series is 1 comic per month to read the "event." They are just story arcs not events, and I'm ok with story arcs. Marvel events have the regular title, a new mini, plus tie ins to every book they publish when they have an event. You have to read extra books to get the story. Nothing like that here.

I'm in the camp that the 2nd 1/2 of the series is way better. (thumbs u

I disagree.

Invincible had longer story arcs like Conquest and the Viltrumite War for sure; however, the series is 1 comic per month to read the "event." They are just story arcs not events, and I'm ok with story arcs. Marvel events have the regular title, a new mini, plus tie ins to every book they publish when they have an event. You have to read extra books to get the story. Nothing like that here.

It may suffer from "Event Syndrome" But they are all self contained, and other than with Wolfman Crossover with issue 57, you never have to buy any other book to get the full story.

This is still Kirkman's commentary on comics. He did what would be a 6 to 12 book event at the Big 2 in one issue with the Invincible War. Did it work out perfect? Not really, but it was still just a fun story.

Other than the Omni-Man fight most of my favorite stories all lie in the second half (Power Plex in #59, Conquest, Viltrumite War, issue #97 with Bulletproof, and the end of issue #105 was amazing to me)

I disagree.

It may suffer from "Event Syndrome" But they are all self contained, and other than with Wolfman Crossover with issue 57, you never have to buy any other book to get the full story.

This is still Kirkman's commentary on comics. He did what would be a 6 to 12 book event at the Big 2 in one issue with the Invincible War. Did it work out perfect? Not really, but it was still just a fun story.

Other than the Omni-Man fight most of my favorite stories all lie in the second half (Power Plex in #59, Conquest, Viltrumite War, issue #97 with Bulletproof, and the end of issue #105 was amazing to me)

You and I are thinking the same way! (thumbs u

I also agree that issue #59 was the turning point for the series too. I loved that issue. #60 was meant to be a spoof on Marvel events, so once you know that the comic is more fun. (thumbs u

I disagree.

I appreciate that they are self contained, I'm not asserting that Kirkman is milking for money with events. I'm just saying I feel like the book has become very much story driven rather than character driven. I don't feel like many characters are changing or actually evolving due to their experiences. It kind of always ends back at status quo for the title character and those closest to him. I'm not trying to trash the book, it's just not what I am looking for in a book anymore, and I feel like it's Kirkman's style changing a bit as I feel the same character stagnation has been present in TWD as well. Very interesting story ideas, but not enough character for me, and too decompressed too often.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I think there has been tons of change in the second half of the book for people.

Nolan returned to Earth, got banished, became in charge of the Viltrum Empire. Mark fought the V War, got Eve Pregnant twice, got engaged, made choices for the better of mankind instead of just to fight with Thragg. Robot and Monster Girl had almost a 1000 years of history in that time frame. Bulletproof took over for Mark and had his family killed at his own fault.

This is all over a time frame that at most is two years passing in the comic, other than for two characters.

I did just score this last week. Very early conquest prelim. Some have probably seen it but I am still in the showing of phase. And for the record, conquest and viltrumite war are two of the best modern comics story arcs. In my mind anyways.

image_zps4ae9579d.jpg