• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clink auctions.....NO PICTURES !!

29 posts in this topic

I've been watching these auctions for a few months now.....and I must say that if you go into the "For Sale" section....you are lucky to get 20 percent of the stuff for sale that will have a picture of the item. Why is that? Am I missing something? Theres just no way I'm gonna buy a book without seeing it first.....no matter what the person says about it. Any comments would be appreciated....unless its Bedrock man talking about FARTS..... :flamed:

Wow, this is a side of Richard I've never witnessed.

"unless its Bedrock man talking about FARTS"

To me the king of gas will always be Gary Detonation Dolgoff

amen to that!

Yeah, that consistant trend on Comiclink is beyond bizzare. Nathenson should require a scan of the book in order to sell on the site, it's just common sense?

Reminds me of those early days on Ebay when you'd buy stuff with no picture...crazy when you think about it (and yes, I did so as well :) )

Wow, this is a side of Richard I've never witnessed.

"unless its Bedrock man talking about FARTS"

To me the king of gas will always be Gary Detonation Dolgoff

amen to that!

Okay, I'll bite. Why is this exactly? Is the STRICT GRADING not so strict?

Agreed. Selling without a picture is :screwy:

I know this morning I clicked on a number of Crowley copies of books that were not CGC graded, had no scans and did not even have PQ listed. WTF?

Yeah, no picture is bogus. There's a ton of books on there I've been interested in that didn't have pictures. Guess they want their books to sit on the website for 2 years. :screwy: Seriously, how hard is it to add a scan or picture. I don't know if this is Comiclink's stupidity or the seller's... though I'm still a bit confused about who actually owns the books on CL. Can someone enlighten me about that?

What intrugues me the most is how books will be for sale on the "ComicsPriceGuide" online price guide site, and they all have "stock photo's", and not the actual photo of the item. They are never slabbed either. Most times it will be a so-called NM book that should be going for about a hundred bucks for sale for 8 dollars or so. Does anyone buy from there?

As to no photo's on CL. I assume that if it states CGC 8.0, without a photo, that CL is vouching that is what it is.

Am I wrong about this?

What intrugues me the most is how books will be for sale on the "ComicsPriceGuide" online price guide site, and they all have "stock photo's", and not the actual photo of the item.

I actually used that site while I was looking for a particular book. There were a few on Ebay for 60-80$. I contacted a guy that had one listed on ComicsPriceguide, sold it to me for $25, and it arrived minty fresh..

20 years ago, we all bought without seeing scans or pics.

20 years ago a NM grade, was todays VF doh!

Yea (sigh). Know how much value some of us lost because of that?

It's better the way it is now though, I must admit. Still................is there really that much difference between a 9.4 and a 9.8? Enough to make the price triple or more? Can a book, even in a slab, hold that grade over the years? 20 years ago, the dealers called me a "condition freak". Now, none do.

What will be occuding twenty years form now, concerning grading? My guess is that a Golden Age book will be graded differently from other age books. Perhaps Silver Age also, will have a seperate standard of grading, than a modern then.

"Still................is there really that much difference between a 9.4 and a 9.8? Enough to make the price triple or more?"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's exactly what I find so ludicrous in the hobby these days. I am not one the people who chases down a 9.6 to "upgrade" from a 9.4. Sorry if I offend anyone, but I find that practice entirely laughable. To me, an important or historically significant book holds just as much "value" in 9.0 as it does in 9.6. :sumo:

20 years ago, we all bought without seeing scans or pics.

20 years ago a NM grade, was todays VF doh!

Yea (sigh). Know how much value some of us lost because of that?

It's better the way it is now though, I must admit. Still................is there really that much difference between a 9.4 and a 9.8? Enough to make the price triple or more? Can a book, even in a slab, hold that grade over the years? 20 years ago, the dealers called me a "condition freak". Now, none do.

What will be occuding twenty years form now, concerning grading? My guess is that a Golden Age book will be graded differently from other age books. Perhaps Silver Age also, will have a seperate standard of grading, than a modern then.

Unfortunately, I know very personally, of the "value" lost in my own collection over those years :sorry:

Thought I'd chime in here -- the comic books without scans are not owned by ComicLink. In fact, ComicLink does not own 99%+ of what is listed on ComicLink.com -- we are not "dealers in disguise," as our friend blazingbob likes to say, although we are still happy to aggressively purchase collections and individual comics and comic art outright if that is the way a collector wants to sell. I would much prefer that all items have scans. All lots sold via ComicLink Auctions have scans and most, if not all CGC Graded Comic books on the Comic Book Exchange (the For Sale section) also have scans -- there are over 14,000 CGC Graded comic books with scans to choose from. That said, there are many books graded and listed by approved sellers (sellers that we know can grade accurately) that do not have images. Though we encourage images and realize that they do lead to many more sales, some sellers own many books and just don't have the time to post scans. Despite requests and suggestions, they simply will not do it. So, we have a choice -- do I have less available on ComicLink because scans are required or do stop making available comic books without scans? My logic thus far has been that it is better to make available more books that will not sell but could (and where grading is double checked and there is a return policy for buyers), then not to have them available at all. That said, I do understand how not seeing a scan in this day and age can be frustrating and it doesn't look too good on the site.

-Josh

Thanks for giving your take Josh......and the rest of you too. There are just so many instances where grade = $$$ amount......but to me the visual experiece is pretty important also. In fact VERY IMPORTANT. Some grades accept creases....but my personal feelings are of extreme hate for creases. I'd rather have a worn book that is smooth and solid.....than a nicer book with a big corner crease. Thats just something that irks me....and everytime I look at the book with the crease....thats what I see. For me.....this way of thinking carries over into CGC books also. Just because something is given a 4.5 or a 5.0.....or a 6.0 for that matter....does not tell me how asthetically pleasing the book is. Yea....if you are buying only 8.5's and up.....your books are gonna look pretty good and without flaw......but still, your payin for it.

sniff sniff.......all clear. Richard must be on storm watch