• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HELP! ...I think I'm being swindled!

97 posts in this topic

I don't understand why this transaction failed (shrug)

The buyer has been confirmed as a real person. The offer is more then reasonable considering after PP fees you are netting the same amount. As for waiting a long time for the check to clear? Big deal once it clears you ship the book.

I would be more nervous about a PP transaction then a personal or bank check.

The buyer has been confirmed as a real person. The offer is more then reasonable considering after PP fees you are netting the same amount. As for waiting a long time for the check to clear? Big deal once it clears you ship the book.

Channdy made a paypal payment in full of $3025, which I returned for the reasons stated above. Now that we've removed Paypal from the equation, he wants to deduct the fees for his benefit. I sent him a message and asked to meet him half-way, at $2965, insurance included...but I have not received a response.

-Issa

Channdy made a paypal payment in full of $3025, which I returned for the reasons stated above. Now that we've removed Paypal from the equation, he wants to deduct the fees for his benefit. I sent him a message and asked to meet him half-way, at $2965, insurance included...but I have not received a response.

-Issa

If it was me I would not send one.

I agree. This was a clear sale, the buyer was vetted, the risk was minimized, and the fact that it's not concluded to the satisfaction of everyone is unfortunate.

I've shipped to the Philippines before (and to Benz's uncle in the States I think.)

I haven't seen what it was listed on eBay for, but you're looking at about a 10% hit there with Fees and Paypal. (It shouldn't have been listed there in the first place since there was a transactional conversation going on.)

I agree. This was a clear sale, the buyer was vetted, the risk was minimized, and the fact that it's not concluded to the satisfaction of everyone is unfortunate.

I've shipped to the Philippines before (and to Benz's uncle in the States I think.)

I haven't seen what it was listed on eBay for, but you're looking at about a 10% hit there with Fees and Paypal. (It shouldn't have been listed there in the first place since there was a transactional conversation going on.)

Come on people! :(

Please read our message thread! I listed the book on eBay because it took the buyer a week to go from "I'm interested" to "I'll pay you NEXT week" The buyers messages were very short, I couldn't take them seriously...I had to badger the buyer several messages before receiving a payment literally out of nowhere. My fears where justified seeing the inconsistencies in the payment that was made. Thanks to Benson, those fears are absolved.

The buyer was perfectly OK charging me an extra 1% in Paypal fees by hiding the fact that this was an international transaction!...but when paypal fees are removed he still wants to deduct 4% for himself! This is where I get upset as I have been very accommodating to this buyer as shown by the message thread.

I am trying to be reasonable here with a buyer who sent very terse, infrequent messages and made a very shady payment.

Its your book dude, do as you please. You asked for advice but didn't like our answers (shrug)

You had 4 offers on Ebay for the book, if you are that nervous, pick one and take that route (thumbs u

First, the original poster exacerbated this situation by accusing/associating the buyer of being a "Swindler." That the buyer was later proven to be legit is besides the point. The careless accusation was made and it continues to be seen on this messageboard. (It should be edited.)

Second, the 4% has been bandied about a bit in regards to Paypal fees. If the price was $3025, then we're talking about a 3.4% fee with a .30 cent initial payout for International paypals from the Philippines. If we're talking domestic payouts, the rate would be 2.5% + .30 cents.

International payments from the Philippines:

$3,000.01 USD - $10,000.00 USD 3.4% + $0.30 USD

What we're really talking about is $102.30 in Paypal fees on a $3000 transaction.

Sheesh. doh!

Sorry, Issa, but I've got to agree with Tom here. Payment was made to you and that sealed the deal. That you got cold feet afterward and refunded the payment just shows your unwillingness to complete the transaction in good faith. Shame on you. shame-on-you-fingers.gif

If Paypal was deducting 4% from the initial payment of $3025 you would have ended up with $2904.

After you received info that he was a legit buyer and not a "swindler" and the fact Paypal was not being used he offered $2905.

What seems to be the problem?

:juggle:

If Chandy hasn't 7 months and is relatively new to the boards so I can see why Izza got nervous and started this thread. The title of the thread does say "I think I've been swindled" so I don't think there has been any intentional bad mouthing here, he did refund the cash (maybe in a bit of a panic). I would eat some fees/costs to make this deal whole as a sign of good faith. 2c

Chandy was going to pay 3k

Issa was going to receive $2880

It doesn't take the wisdom of Solomon to agree to split the $120 between the two of them. The question is does the buyer really want to buy and does the seller really want to sell? hm

Sorry, Issa, but I've got to agree with Tom here. Payment was made to you and that sealed the deal. That you got cold feet afterward and refunded the payment just shows your unwillingness to complete the transaction in good faith. Shame on you.

I received a random, late payment from a guy with one post in the last year and the names/addresses didn't match. Payment from Girl in Phillpines? and Ship to a Guy in California? :hm: :(

Even if I did ship the item, shouldn't the buyer tell me its going to a forwarding company? How will I process a refund or get my book back if something goes wrong? or Paypal takes the money back due to suspicion of fraud? I wanted to be safe about it :shrug:

time line...

09/04/08 01:55 AM

hi,

would you take $2700 + s/h + insurance for it?

my ebayname is femerco, for reference.

i can pay thru paypal, by next week.

let me know.

thanks

charlton

09/04/08 03:22 AM

Hey Charlton,

I would really like to sell this book for the advertised price of $3,000. If this a little outside of your price range, I will gladly accept time payments and hold the book for you until you can make all of the payments. FYI: 100% feedback is nice...and so is that Boba Fett Mug. :thumbs up: \:\)

If this price sounds reasonable to you, feel free to make a paypal payment to: xxxxxxx@gmail.com or give me your email address and I'll gladly send an invoice according to our payment schedule.

-Issa

09/04/08 11:16 AM

let me think about it. will let you know.

thanks

09/07/08 10:55 PM

hi,

can we close it at $3000, all inclusive, s/h and insurance?

let me know.

thanks

09/08/08 12:27 AM

This might be possible. Please give me your address and I'll get a quote after work tommorow.

-Issa

09/08/08 12:31 AM

charlton soriano

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Los Angeles CA 90065

United States

09/08/08 07:46 AM

That was quick, lol. As a gesture of good faith, give me an additional $25 to cover the cost of insuring a $3,000 package and I will ship the book one-day or two-day air (whichever is available when I ship the book). Feel free to send paypal payment of $3025 to xxxxxxxx@gmail.com or money order to:

Issa xxxxx

xxxxxxxx

Brooklyn, NY 11209

With these kinds of transactions, I'll always give my cell number in case you have any other questions: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

-Issa

09/10/08 04:11 AM

Are you still interested, sir?

-Issa

09/10/08 05:25 AM

hi,

sorry for the late reply.

still interested.

will need till next week to come up with the money.

is this ok with you?

thanks

09/10/08 07:06 AM

Sure, that's fine. Please keep me posted.

hours later...

ebay auction started

Sep-10-08 20:44:22 PDT

X-MEN #1 (1963) CGC 5.5 SS Signature Series Stan Lee!

Only 4 SS books higher! OW pages! Signed by Stan Lee!

http://cgi.ebay.com/X-MEN-1-1963-CGC-5-5-SS-Signature-Series-Stan-Lee_W0QQitemZ130254289497QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130254289497&_trkparms=72%3A1163|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

09/11/08 06:11 AM

hi,

i saw the book up for auction at ebay?

are you still interested in selling it to me?

please let me know.

thanks

09/11/08 07:07 AM

Yes, sir. I am still interested in selling to you. You are still first in line. \:\) I'm just testing the waters and don't expect the book to sell on eBay at all.

-Issa

09/16/08 11:55 PM

Auction ends in about day. You still have preference. If you'd still like to send payment for $3025, please do so and I will ship one/two-day air. Thanks!

-Issa

09/17/08 01:34 AM

hi,

just paid my credit card today.

should be able to pay you tomorrow.

thanks

09/17/08 06:36 PM

Please send a paypal payment of $3025 to xxxxxxxx@gmail.com and include your shipping address. I will insure the X-men #1 CGC 5.5 SS Stan Lee and ship it one or two-day air. Thanks!

-Issa xxxxxxx

Brooklyn, NY 11209

cell: xxxxxxxxxxx

4 minutes later....

09/17/08 06:40 PM

This item has been added to eBay and ends tonight. Feel free to submit an offer. You may get lucky, depending on my mood...or how desperate I get. lol

http://Support-the-Collectors-Society.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130254289497&ssPageName=ADME:L:BOWO:US:1123

-Issa

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2585524&fpart=2

ebay auction ended

Sep-17-08 20:44:22 PDT

X-MEN #1 (1963) CGC 5.5 SS Signature Series Stan Lee!

Only 4 SS books higher! OW pages! Signed by Stan Lee!

http://cgi.ebay.com/X-MEN-1-1963-CGC-5-5-SS-Signature-Series-Stan-Lee_W0QQitemZ130254289497QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130254289497&_trkparms=72%3A1163|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

paypal payment completed

Date: Sep. 17, 2008

Time: 21:42:24 PDT

paypay refund completed

Date: Sep. 17, 2008

Time: 22:25:21 PDT

Yesterday at 01:33 AM

HELP! ...I think I'm being swindled!

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2621027&Board=4&fpart=all&gonew=1#UNREAD

1 minute later...

Yesterday at 01:34 AM

I've refunded your payment as I cannot ship to commercial locations such as Manila Forwarders. I'm very sorry, but I've decided to take my business elsewhere.

Yesterday at 01:39 AM

why?

Yesterday at 05:14 AM

Good news! I spoke with Benz and he is willing to arrange a safer payment process for the both of us. Please deposit the money in his account and he will issue a check to me. (no paypal please, they charge a heavy 4% fee). I will then ship the book as soon as payment clears to:

charlton soriano

4249 Eagle Rock Blvd.

Los Angeles, CA 90065

United States

-Issa

Yesterday at 11:22 PM

i've talked with benz and thanked him for helping me with this transaction.

but since we will not be using paypal (as first agreed upon) as means of payment, i am only willing to pay $2880 + $25 shipping / insurance for the book.

if this is ok with you, let me know.

Yesterday at 11:40 PM

This is not ok with me. When you sent payment, I was not aware of Paypal's 4% fee, I actually thought it was more like 2%. Also, insurance for a $3,000 book is about $25...This won't cover shipping.

Anyway, since I originally posted my book for sale, the asking price was set at $3,000. Benz is already taking much time out of his schedule to help this transaction. If you do not want to pay this amount, please don't waste his time, as I can relist my book on other places.

-Issa

Yesterday at 11:47 PM

i'll pass

Yesterday at 11:51 PM

OK. Take care.

Today at 01:15 AM

Apparently, the thread in the general section is causing a lot of noise.

Since I originally thought the Paypal commission was 2%, how about we meet in the middle as Ben suggested?

$3000 - 2% = $2940 + $25 = $2965, includes insurance and I will ship to the address of your forwarder service.

If you agree, please let me and Bens know and I will prepare the book for shipping.

-Issa