• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Star Wars #1 variant sells for $12k

92 posts in this topic

I think what's happened is the term "variant" has been appropriated by the industry in a way that cheapens the word. This happened in the late 90s and continues today, to the point where publishers will actually put the word "variant" on the cover...

Marvel puts the word "variant" on the covers of 2nd printings. That's low.

fo the life of me I do not understand how a book like this sells for so much. I know "to each his own" and all that, but the price seems just insane to me. For 12K you could get a Batman 1, Action Comics 2, Detective 31... the list just goes on. Is this book even that rare? How many copie are in the census?

Put a high grade SW #1-4 variant set together...it'll probably take you the rest of your life if at all. You could definitely put a run of Tec #27-37 probably quicker...heck that whole run was on the boards two months ago :)

Star Wars would most likely be the most successful movie franchise of all time, and is probably as well known in the world as Batman the character is. Just because it isn't from 1939, and is from 1977 doesn't make it any less scarce, in demand, desirable or of less importance. I'm pretty sure that Star Wars #1 was reprinted more times than Batman #1 was as well. :)

Jim

Was wondering when you were going to chime in.

For those that don't know, Jim is one of the countries foremost Star Wars collectors and likely more knowledgable about Star Wars collectibles than any other 2 or 3 other people out there put together.

R.

Oh Roy you're making me blush :) The SW collection aint what it once was, that collection keeps getting smaller and smaller, while my Marvel Mystery books, White Mountains and original art collection get's bigger and bigger :)

The knowledge is still there though !

Jim

I can give you a firsthand account of the appeal this book has. I have been a huge SW fan since I was 10 years old and the movie came out. For six years, nearly every toy I bought was a SW toy. But I have always collected silver age books for the most part. Three months ago I went into a comic shop and on the new table were two 3 packs of Starwars 1-6 35 cent versions. Of course I thought I had found the mother lode. The shop owner was out and his wife was at the counter and said someone had brought them in. Obviously she had no clue about variants but neither did I other than I knew they existed. Long story short I was ready to buy she wouldn't sell (smart decision at the time that turned out bad for them and good for me).

I did research that night and found out they were stinking reprints. The store owner did the same thing and I chose not to buy. For a moment, variant fever had hit me harder than a 2x4.

For those who do it, it has to be a satisfying hunt because they are truly rare. Consider this, there is a 9.8 X-Men #1, a single 9.6 AF15 and 6 copies in 9.4 and only one, single 9.4 SW 1 .35. At this point, the is little chance it will ever be plentiful in high grade. So it is rare in high grade and not plentiful in any grade.

I can give you a firsthand account of the appeal this book has. I have been a huge SW fan since I was 10 years old and the movie came out. For six years, nearly every toy I bought was a SW toy. But I have always collected silver age books for the most part. Three months ago I went into a comic shop and on the new table were two 3 packs of Starwars 1-6 35 cent versions. Of course I thought I had found the mother lode. The shop owner was out and his wife was at the counter and said someone had brought them in. Obviously she had no clue about variants but neither did I other than I knew they existed. Long story short I was ready to buy she wouldn't sell (smart decision at the time that turned out bad for them and good for me).

I did research that night and found out they were stinking reprints. The store owner did the same thing and I chose not to buy. For a moment, variant fever had hit me harder than a 2x4.

For those who do it, it has to be a satisfying hunt because they are truly rare. Consider this, there is a 9.8 X-Men #1, a single 9.6 AF15 and 6 copies in 9.4 and only one, single 9.4 SW 1 .35. At this point, the is little chance it will ever be plentiful in high grade. So it is rare in high grade and not plentiful in any grade.

You forgot the part about it being a craptacular book to boot. :P

Some books swim up stream, the SW#1 35 center is definitely one of those comics. Prices have always defied logic on that book, probably always will.

I always thought of SW1 as the Hulk 181 of the 35 centers, there are more of them, but they still sell for more $$$. And as Rob said regarding the Westerns ... forgetaboutit.

I like these price variants but I don't see them as rare as people think they are because they seem to be coming out of the woodwork left right and center.

Please point me in the direction of this mass-influx of 35-cent variants. :wishluck:

They seem to be for sale everywhere, Pedigree, Comiclink, all over EBay. I love these variants but I'm used to Gerber 7+ GA books being called "rare".

There are a lot of variants for sale, but they're all the same titles/issues. It is easier to find a copy of a Gerber 8, 9, or even a 10 (in some cases) than it will be to find a Kid Colt 219 35 cent variant - in any grade.

FD I agree but I was speaking in general terms and just my observation on these as a whole.

Ok so while I do love these variants I never really focused on buying them so last week after checking out the VariantMafia website and the scans of all the known 35 centers (love that site) I decided to see if I could track down a few of these. I decided to look for FF's first and to my surprise and joy someone had all 5 issues listed for sale BUT they never made mention that these were variants. I think only a handful of buyers noticed this so I was lucky enough to scoop all of them and they are all in pretty nice condition. :cloud9: Best part of this is that these are some of my favorite covers in this run. It was a fluke that I found these.

FF18335centvariant.jpg

FF18435cent.jpg

FF18535centvariant.jpg

FF18635centvariant.jpg

http://FF18735cent.jpg

It's Star Wars. I have been collectiing price variants, when I can find them this past year, and its a challenge and fun.

Not many available, much less in 9.4 and again I remind you its Star Wars.

That movie has done more for toys, sci, fi etc then anything that comes to mind.

Plus the RICH people who were kids in 77 when it was released can afford to pay crazy prices for their childhood.

I wish I was rich enough to have bought it. I have wanted a 35 cent Star Wars(not the reprint that I received for my birthday in 8/77) since I first saw it listed in OSPG

:) I would say sorry about driving the price up on you but I was the third bidder in line on those so it would not have mattered if I had bid or not they still would have went for the same price. I think comichunter was the actual underbidder on all but one of those he seems to find almost all the variants. (shrug)

Ok so while I do love these variants I never really focused on buying them so last week after checking out the VariantMafia website and the scans of all the known 35 centers (love that site) I decided to see if I could track down a few of these. I decided to look for FF's first and to my surprise and joy someone had all 5 issues listed for sale BUT they never made mention that these were variants. I think only a handful of buyers noticed this so I was lucky enough to scoop all of them and they are all in pretty nice condition. :cloud9: Best part of this is that these are some of my favorite covers in this run. It was a fluke that I found these.

great find. every time I seem to lack the time to search for hidden books, a nice lot like this comes available.

then again, I did have time to watch the 4th known copy of Kid Colt 219 show up on ebay and sell for $1,225....

thanks for the VariantMafia plug too vmsmiley.jpg