• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trimming The Fat

100 posts in this topic

Not even... zzz

What happened, that's usually what transpires, one person calls another an accumulator, then he snaps back with "label-chaser", then there is some "quality vs. quantity" arguments, followed up by some "true collector" jabs and a few "you're just an acquirer" barbs.

What happened to this place? :o

Would you rather sell the 1900 and purchase the more expensive book, or sell the hundred expensive ones and buy more of the inexpensive book.

If it was an option, I would sell all 2000 and buy a real nice AF15 or low grade Action 1. Having a collection of just 1 book is fine with me.....if it's the right book

I have to take a bite at this one. Do you really feel that way or is this hyperbole? hm

By definition doesn't a 'collection' have to be more than one thing?

I went into a store in Anchorage today (in between my wife's knee surgery), and dang the guy had boxes everywhere like a hermit. You couldn't walk through the aisles of his store, and they were stacked haphazardly with very little alphabetical semblance of order. It was even made more painful in that I didn't see a single book older than the 90's and there were multiple copies of almost every newer book with bags/boards. If I knew anything about moderns, there may have been some good deals in there. In addition he had a couple boxes of modern 9.8 CGC'd books. There were statues stacked on comic boxes, cards, and other collectible crud everywhere.....I couldn't handle it....so I had to leave.

This is how Nik should collect.

Steve, if it was basing my collection on trying to complete a run, I would not have a collection :kidaround:

I have never had a desire to complete any run. For instance on the Conan series. I am trying to collect from issue 1 - 24.

So its easy for to me to pick and choose certain issues or covers I really like and not worry about completing a series. I am what you call an all over the place collector :acclaim:

I thought you were teasing guys who go to cons with lists? :P

The only time I would trim my collection is either for space purposes or to gear up for some kind of big purchase. If I did that, I would make sure none of my favorites left me, regardless of whether they're "easy to replace", as they came into my collection in the first place for a reason. Most of the time I adopt the books, but every now and then, one adopts me...

Most of the time I adopt the books, but every now and then, one adopts me...

yep yep.

this is why I can agree with Dan in principle but can't do this in reality.

For example, I could replace my run of Spectacular Spider-Man pretty easily, but the earlier issues are sweet with blazing white pages, and then I run into my personal issues from my first comic book (Superhero) bought all the way thru the end.

How could I go about selling those?

I'm in a thinning phase, so I'm definitely selling the cheaper books to acquire more expensive books.

That's my current program! (thumbs u

I took a slightly different approach to thinning

billbeforeandafter2.jpg

(worship)

I'm in a thinning phase, so I'm definitely selling the cheaper books to acquire more expensive books.

That's my current program! (thumbs u

I took a slightly different approach to thinning

billbeforeandafter2.jpg

(worship)

:o:headbang:(worship)

Would you rather sell the 1900 and purchase the more expensive book, or sell the hundred expensive ones and buy more of the inexpensive book.

If it was an option, I would sell all 2000 and buy a real nice AF15 or low grade Action 1. Having a collection of just 1 book is fine with me.....if it's the right book

definately the best advice. better to have 1 good quality book than a pile of junk.

definately the best advice. better to have 1 good quality book than a pile of junk.

That still doesn't help Nik. He definitely has piles of quality books. (thumbs u

Lets say you have roughly two thousand books, raw and slabbed combined. Out of those books, roughly one hundred have a value off $500 or higher per book while the other nineteen hundred have a value of anywhere from $50 to under $500 each.

This is just a quantity vs. value thing, so all you blue blooded collectors and purists take it easy :D

If faced between the decision of inexpensive vs. expensive, I'd probably go for selling the inexpensive books for the more expensive...why? Because I'm in that position now...lots of (essentially) inexpensive books and I'd like to have fewer more expensive (implied keys--more desirable/more marketable) books.

I'd rather base it on personal value to me though--or what is my "true love". In my situation, I'd sell non-DC horror genre and other non-horror (war,western,etc) if I was faced with downsizing.

Bill, is that your son, or is that you photoshopped in after weight loss?

If it's you, congrats!, and tell me how you did it!

In the original picture my son was where my thinner self is now. Lost about 80 pounds since the original picture was taken in Feb/March of this year.

Lets say you have roughly two thousand books, raw and slabbed combined. Out of those books, roughly one hundred have a value off $500 or higher per book while the other nineteen hundred have a value of anywhere from $50 to under $500 each.

This is just a quantity vs. value thing, so all you blue blooded collectors and purists take it easy :D

Comes down to what you personally want from your collection. I would say that I would sell the inexpensive books, and buy more inexpensive books. My thought is also that the inexpensive books were bought cheap, and can be sold for profit. Rinse and repeat.. Then buy expensive books with the profit.

But hey what do I know.

2000 is hardly an unmanageable number (although if most are slabbed that does take up a lot of space) and at a minimum of $50, those are good numbers.

so you're thinking about selling 1900 of them to buy one big book?

i suppose from an investment perspective one big book makes sense, although from a collector's standpoint it's fun to have stuff to rummage through in one's collection.

or did you leave out a plural and meant you were thinking about turning the 1900 $50 - $500 books into a smaller # of mainly $500+ books?

true, that way you still would have several hundred books to play with and they'd be pretty nice ones.

That still doesn't help Nik. He definitely has piles of quality books.

Yeah, 1900 $50 - $499 books is hardly a pile of junk unless Nik is just assuming a $50 value for every modern (or even copper) 9.8, which I doubt because he seems to submit a lot of BA and earlier.

In the original picture my son was where my thinner self is now. Lost about 80 pounds since the original picture was taken in Feb/March of this year.

thats simply fantastic, Bill.

I demand details.

thats simply fantastic, Bill.

I demand details.

PM sent