• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

30s, 40s slabbed, unrestored, =>CGC 7.0, most in census top 3

8 posts in this topic

The links below are nice jpegs of the books offered. I am a private collector who averages one show a month as a dealer in East Central Illinois. I've had books slabbed for about 5 years, but have not been very active online. If anything here isn't up to standard, please let me know. I will edit the post for items sold or pulled for the October show in St. Louis.

Prices are negotiable, and credit cards are accepted; contact me for arrangements. Cashiers check or money order is fine. Personal checks must clear my bank before items can be shipped, and no cash please. Shipping and handling is $10, United States Postal Service (certified and insured). If the USPS can't reach you, exact shipping cost can be arranged. Books absolutely will NOT be shipped uninsured nor shipped without receipt signature required. Enjoy! leon@virtualeon.com

Captain Midnight 1943 #12 CGC 9.0 (3rd Highest Grade) $503

The Funnies 1937 #9 CGC 7.0 (2nd Highest Grade) $310

Heroic comics 1944 #26 FILE COPY CGC 7.5 (3rd Highest Grade) $86

Might Midget Comics 1942 #11 Bulletman CGC 9.4 (3rd Highest Grade--possibly higher, no breakdown per title) $460

Popular Comics 1936 #3 CGC 6.5 (Highest Grade--only copy in census) $775

Tom Mix Western 1948 #3 CGC 8.5 (4th Highest Grade) $198

Two-Fisted Tales 1954 #40 GAINES FILE COPY* CGC 9.6 (2nd Highest Grade) $1040

***Sold*** Zoo Funnies 1945 #2 CGC 9.0 CLASSIC COVER--1st Charlton series(4th Highest Grade) $124

* Two-Fisted Tales #40 includes a certificate of authenticity with it's own fabulous humor sketch of the Gaines collection being removed from a vault in Mylar. The certificate is signed by William Gaines, Bob Overstreet and Russ Cochran. It certifies this copy as #4 of 12 copies ranked by Bob Overstreet when unwrapped by Cochran and Overstreet under the supervision of Bill Gaines. The certificate was separated from the book when it was sent to the CGC. I recently brought the discrepancy to the attention of a major online comic auction, and have been lucky enough to obtain the book and the certificate from the consignee. I will gladly provide this information on a written statement, including the auction service, as it is all now part of the history of this great book. If I'm lucky enough to still be the owner after October 18th, I will resubmit it to CGC to officially correct the CGC slab. Then again, it may be more interesting to keep it in the slab with the missing "Gaines File Copy" notation. :-)

Thanks for asking!

Raw Action books will probably not make the list for a month or two, depending on how things are at the day job :-)

I will hold back on Gaines books to see what happens with the Two-Fisted Tales #40 offered. Anything I do roll out will be VF/NM and higher--but unless I get very lucky somewhere, no first issues or keys.

cheers!

Leon