• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So what books are you watching in the comicconnect event auction?

116 posts in this topic

Bids are pretty high on the raw Actions. $1385 for a raw Action #44 5.5, and $975 for a raw Action #43 5.0.

I don't see either of those books in the auction right now. Were they pulled? (shrug)

Very strange. They've both been removed from the live auction. The Action #44 still shows up in my watched items, but says "this book has been sold", and the winning bid is $814. I swear that book was at $1385 when I posted last night.

The Action #43 has completely vanished. hm

There seemed to be a lot of inconsistency with the entire auction results from last night (even before the website went down). I'm not exactly sure if it's due to the recent economic downturn, a smaller pool of bidders vs. ComicLink and Heritage, the large percentage of items with reserves that people had to muddle through, the significant number of raw books from Metro's site, or the fact that the website went down a couple of times during the week. A few days ago I couldn't even get on for almost 2 hours during the afternoon (same thing with Metro's site).

I only consigned 2 books, but will probably stick with more consistent auction sites like ComicLink, which seem to generate a bigger buzz. Heck, I thought the recent offerings on ComicConnect were incredible, but the level of collector enthisiasm was almost non existent on these boards compared to Heritage or CL.

Some major key books did extremely well (AF #15, Avengers #1, etc.), but the perhaps due to a smaller number of bidders, a lot of books seemed to go unnoticed. Frankly, this is what I'd expect from Ebay auctions. I do understand that anything can happen at auctions and books could sell for less than expected, but the percentage difference seems very high to me. For instance, 9.0 copies of Batman #'s 13 and 17 have bids that are way less than GPA prices from years ago (neither of them are my books). As a first time consigner, I must say that I'm disappointed with the whole process!

Due to last nights website collapse, I'm sure that a lot of would be bidders will be turned away to the second batch of books that were supposed to end tonight, and have moved to tomorrow night.

One of my gripes with ComicConnect is the complete lack of "marketing" of the book on its own page. I mean, with both Comiclink and Heritage, you get information like "Highest graded", notable appearances, sales data (with Heritage anyway), and other useful snippets that can help "sell" the book to a potential bidder. You get the "highest graded" part with ComicConnect but little else.

Unless my books fetch some strong prices tomorrow night, I doubt I will be using them again anytime soon. I'll chalk it up as a learning lesson and move on.

I agree with you.

I think adding the OS guide value is also important, especially for lesser known books. I still remember winning a book on CL because someone retracted their bid since the OS value stated was wrong. Josh e-mailed both of us with the news and I decided to keep my second bid and ultimately win the book. Information like this does help!

Bids are pretty high on the raw Actions. $1385 for a raw Action #44 5.5, and $975 for a raw Action #43 5.0.

I don't see either of those books in the auction right now. Were they pulled? (shrug)

Very strange. They've both been removed from the live auction. The Action #44 still shows up in my watched items, but says "this book has been sold", and the winning bid is $814. I swear that book was at $1385 when I posted last night.

The Action #43 has completely vanished. hm

I was tracking both mid-grade raw Actions #43 and #44 and both were under $800 yesterday. I was surprised by your post, and logged on to checked the prices right afterwards.

Jeff...perhaps you were thinking about the Superman #3? (shrug)

GE

No, I didn't have the Supes 3 on my watch list. You're right, they were both under $800 throughout the day. I got home from going out to dinner a little after 7(west coast time), and couldn't even get on the CC site. Finally, I did about 7:40, and that's when I saw those prices and made my post. Maybe I dreamed it!

It's also odd that those 2 books were gone from the auction this morning.

I got outbid on two items with the 24 hr extension, no bid increases on anything else. How did the extension affect everyone else?

Also, is there a way of viewing what completed auction items went for, aside from having them in your watch list?

Fortunately the extension did not negatively impact me thus far.

I won the Lost Valley copies of The Comics Magazine #2, #3, #4 and #5.

They went for less than or at guide. I believe even less than what they originally sold for back when they were discovered. This isn't because they have lost value. Indeed, the owner (a fellow boardie) had offers that exceeded these prices but was hopeful the auction would generate more interest.

I believe these low prices were reflective of the initial weakness of ComicConnect, just like any new business, for certain non-mainstream books. Clearly some books achieved outlandishly high prices and this site can easily become a formidable force but I think it will take a little bit more time.

In the interim, buyers should have fun! :applause:

Other than the Action 43 & 44 ending Saturday night when everything else was pushed to Sunday, nothing seemed odd to me. In fact, there were several bargains to be had.

Who knows, maybe the extention was needed as well, in order to help sellers not lose money too. Because I am sure some people lost out on the auction. I would not consign books in fear of that alone.