• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Investment

47 posts in this topic

I ask how much work are you willing to put in, because if you're willing to work, you can turn that $1000 into at least $5K in 12 months.

If you don't want to work, and just buy and hold, buy whatever grade complete Amazing Fantasy 15 you can find for a grand. Don't buy slabbed.

-- In anticipation of the obligatory bleating, I know his time is worth something. That's why I asked how much work he's willing to do.

Gotcha... I thought the "-" was a typo. And comicsarefun, you'll notice my remark about even finding a copy at that range as well considering how many 0.5s that present well have been crossing the $1k marker. I'm never going to stop doh! myself for passing on Deamentia's 0.5 last summer. I really wish I could get over my nerves when looking at books over $300+ (and no, the book DID sell for more than that... this is just my threshold).

Then again, my wife is still ok with my comic collection, so I guess the nerves haven't completely let me down ;)

If you had $1000 to spend, What book and grade would be the best to pickup with say the most return in 5yrs??? hm

I would suggest looking into the nicest unrestored, OW paged ( or better ), raw JIM 83 you can find for that price.....probably a G/VG ( just guessing ). JIM 83 was recently voted in a thread I started a few months ago the #1 most undervalued book out of 10+ different keys ---- throw in the upcoming movie, and the fact that it's a SA Marvel, and I couldn't think of a better investment in the $1,000 range.

My 2c

If you had $1000 to spend, What book and grade would be the best to pickup with say the most return in 5yrs??? hm

I would suggest looking into the nicest unrestored, OW paged ( or better ), raw JIM 83 you can find for that price.....probably a G/VG ( just guessing ). JIM 83 was recently voted in a thread I started a few months ago the #1 most undervalued book out of 10+ different keys ---- throw in the upcoming movie, and the fact that it's a SA Marvel, and I couldn't think of a better investment in the $1,000 range.

My 2c

could be. we got to get mainstream to find out how great this character is .the mid-lee/kirby run is amazing!. the thing is most people not involved in comics know that.

I ask how much work are you willing to put in, because if you're willing to work, you can turn that $1000 into at least $5K in 12 months.

If you don't want to work, and just buy and hold, buy whatever grade complete Amazing Fantasy 15 you can find for a grand. Don't buy slabbed.

-- In anticipation of the obligatory bleating, I know his time is worth something. That's why I asked how much work he's willing to do.

elaborate more please.

i'm assuming that you're talking of an unrestored copy of AF15.

Donut, your idea is great but most people do not know how to grade well, check for resto etc etc, so although your suggestion is a good one, it'd be a heck of a lot of work to learn to do all this stuff for only $1000 investment.

That is the reason most people buy slabs.

I spent $10,000's in purchases "learning" how to grade and spot resto along the way. I lost many a time in my travels...sometimes to the tune of $1000,s.

It happens.

Unless he is ready to devote a lot of time and effort I'd suggest he buys something he'll enjoy owning and buy it already graded...cause I think that is what he is looking for...something that won't decline and is "secure".

Stick to a key and CGC graded and that is as safe as you can get.

R.

I agree, at least 75%, or more, of the time if you buy raw, unless you buy from here of course, the person has over graded and you will lose on your investment..It has happened to me many times and drives me crazy..once in a while you get lucky, but if you dont want to waste your time and your money along the way stick to graded and read where the trends are going and if you like the book buy that way....

My 5 cents, is that I wouldn't spend the entire $1000 on one comic, especially if it was for a copy that looked like it had been sitting in a gutter for the past 50 years. If you are just looking at it from an investment perspective, it makes more sense to buy 5-10 late silver age comics in the $100-$200 range. Try sticking to big names, but not necessarily the #1 issues, for example, some Green Lantern, Hulk, Flash, Iron Man, etc while still getting them in high grades. That way you could get a couple good looking books, and you won't have all your eggs in on basket.

I started this, because a friend of mine has some money that they want to invest into something. He knows I collect comics and sees that alot of these books keep climbing. He doesnt collect himself, so he was just tryin to see what sort of investment he could make out of it. He didnt want to get some flash in the pan typ book, but something that might be universally wanted and keep or grow in its value over time.

Thanks for all the input thus far. I just wanted to get your guys opinion, since I collect with my heart not with my brain. I have some runs that are my favorite since I was a kid, but then after that its based on if I like the artist or the cover looks cool, stuff like that. And for him its more like an investment. I know if I had the 1k I would probably hit most of the sales threads and buy tons of stuff, but thats me. I think he is looking for the one or a few book investment to have the best gain, short term.

Thanks again

Tell your friend that if we had the power to predict the future regarding books, we all would be millionaires today.

Its a little skill, alot of luck and just sometimes having the right book at the right time.

I feel big keys that are undervalued are JIM 83, Hulk 1, and Avengers 1.

You can still get a decent Avengers 1 for 1k.

A lesser key I think will stay hot is ASM 50. You can get a nice one for 1k.

ASM 39 is another one that will always have demand. :)

Avengers 4 has already been mentioned, but is due a jump, imo.

I started this, because a friend of mine has some money that they want to invest into something. He knows I collect comics and sees that alot of these books keep climbing. He doesnt collect himself, so he was just tryin to see what sort of investment he could make out of it. He didnt want to get some flash in the pan typ book, but something that might be universally wanted and keep or grow in its value over time.

Thanks for all the input thus far. I just wanted to get your guys opinion, since I collect with my heart not with my brain. I have some runs that are my favorite since I was a kid, but then after that its based on if I like the artist or the cover looks cool, stuff like that. And for him its more like an investment. I know if I had the 1k I would probably hit most of the sales threads and buy tons of stuff, but thats me. I think he is looking for the one or a few book investment to have the best gain, short term.

Thanks again

due dilligence

1,000 copies of X-Force #1 I have a few left polybagged. Get you that jump start towards millions.

I also have the variant cap-negative upc. At least i think it is a variant.

Also the death of superman Black Bag. Those things are just waiting to sky rocket !

If I had the money now I would get an AF 15 low to mid grade, even though it may cool down in a while, as it is really hot now, it will always go up and low to mid grade can always sell and still look good..I missed out on a few at the beginning of summer and already not sure I can afford the same grade copy as back then...

Go to the biggest best comic show near you and buy all the 25 - 35 cent cover price books you can find in 9.4 or better raw, focusing on the mainstream Marvel titles and Batman titles. For 1000.00, you should be able to buy something like 100 - 200 books which will be worth 50 - 300 each in 5 years(depending upon how good at grading and searching you are).