• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help me decide

34 posts in this topic

I always wanted to ask this, but what kind of comics do you *really* like?

What did you grow up reading?

Which books did you "wish you could get" as a young kid (I realize you're not old, but around 10-12)

If comics were worth absolutely nothing, and you were stranded on a desert island, what books would you choose to have with you?

What era and genre do you find yourself oogling for the covers and stories (NOT the $$$)?

Two-Gun Kid in a heartbeat!

It's perfectly centered, presents exceptionally well, and I would personally choose Joe Maneely over late-1940's Simon & Kirby any day of the week!

(Your mileage may vary.)

The JTTG 4 is fairly common in that grade.....the TGK is not. If you really like Atlas westerns...I've got a few with Maneely inside and out plus Torres,Williamson,Kubert,Heath, and Everett in them. Maybe we could work out some kind of trade for them....all in the 4.0 to 5.0 range (raw).Let me know.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. I'm fixin to hit the hay...I'll check my PM's tommorrow.

PM Sent! :)

Which books did you "wish you could get" as a young kid (I realize you're not old, but around 10-12)

If comics were worth absolutely nothing, and you were stranded on a desert island, what books would you choose to have with you?

What era and genre do you find yourself oogling for the covers and stories (NOT the $$$)?

men in tights

and

duck books

I keep telling myself that as soon as I finish this SA fetish for having complete runs of FF, Spidey, AVG, and DD, I'm going home to my first love.

Whitman duck books. :cloud9:

I always wanted Timely Superheroes. I thought they were the coolest since I read a reprint of All-Winners 19 in Fantasy Masterpieces 10, which I picked up at my LCS. They didn't sell those at my LCS and they would have been to expensive. I began buying the next best thing, Silver Marvel Superheroes while telling myself I would get them as soon as I could afford and find them.

Well the reason I really said neither is because I think he will realize these books aren't really for him. He mentioned switching over to GA but these are GA crime and Western (and not true GA according to some). My guess is these are more affordable than true GA super hero books and that's why he's looking at these. Considering much of his collections was 60's Marvel superheros, these two books aren't something someone that collected stuff usually drops back into when delving into GA, especially Westerns.

Sound advice but anyone who says these are no true GA comics is mentally retarted.

Well the reason I really said neither is because I think he will realize these books aren't really for him. He mentioned switching over to GA but these are GA crime and Western (and not true GA according to some). My guess is these are more affordable than true GA super hero books and that's why he's looking at these. Considering much of his collections was 60's Marvel superheros, these two books aren't something someone that collected stuff usually drops back into when delving into GA, especially Westerns.

Sound advice but anyone who says these are no true GA comics is mentally retarted.

There are some who consider the GA to end in 1945 with the end of WWII, and the Atomic age to be between the GA and SA. I personally always just lumped books in the late 40's and early 50's as GA. The atomic age is an unsteady time. Previously most super hero books had covers with the heroes battling the Axis of Evil. Following the war super heroes were still kicking and taking names but were now fighting mobsters. I believe Cap even stated in a thread he wanted to collect a Timely run of a certain title but stop after the issue where the war covers end and the crime ones begin because those covers suck. Only about 5 years after the war super hero comics were practically DOA with the rise of other genres and of course the EC line of books. Then the CCA came along and destroyed that line. And then there was Showcase 4.